Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

Annoying cloud cover now, temps have actually risen past few hours from a low of 4 degrees, now 6 degrees.. a forecasters headache guessing where cloud will break.

• Like 1

Posted

Clear as crystal here...not a smidge of a mist patch in sight never mind fog.  Mind you the warning did exclude an area around here, so maybe they were spot on.  3c as well so no frost.

Posted

Surface chill under cloudy grey skies making for a cold late November day. Max 6 degrees now, if clouds clears this evening expect a widespread frost given the colder surface air and wind to mix it out. First day of the season that has felt 'wintry'. We are entering the darkest period of the year now. Still waiting for first proper snow on the fells, late this year, most likely will see it next week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Already -2.4C here with a frost on all surfaces. Much colder than last night. Probably won't stay like that though as cloud is supposed to roll in later on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
8 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Already -2.4C here with a frost on all surfaces. Much colder than last night. Probably won't stay like that though as cloud is supposed to roll in later on.

Nothing here unfortunately, the northern hemisphere is shaping up quite differently to last Winter so the chances of a decent cold spell look a lot better so I'm quite hopeful. Living by the coast and very flat isn't great so a proper cold spell is always our best chance. I'm just wondering whether we could end up with an early taste of Winter next week with a real mixed bag of rain, hail, sleet & snow showers if this pattern could edge that bit further east?

UN120-21.thumb.GIF.13c10d964239bbb0c51da709e51354d1.GIFUN144-21.thumb.GIF.cb88478af81873dcab44d64b72c15388.GIF

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 hour ago, Day 10 said:

Nothing here unfortunately, the northern hemisphere is shaping up quite differently to last Winter so the chances of a decent cold spell look a lot better so I'm quite hopeful. Living by the coast and very flat isn't great so a proper cold spell is always our best chance. I'm just wondering whether we could end up with an early taste of Winter next week with a real mixed bag of rain, hail, sleet & snow showers if this pattern could edge that bit further east?

UN120-21.thumb.GIF.13c10d964239bbb0c51da709e51354d1.GIFUN144-21.thumb.GIF.cb88478af81873dcab44d64b72c15388.GIF

Let’s hope so.

I know cold, snowy weather doesn’t suit everyone but it would be a lot feel a lot more festive and if severe enough may even override Boris’s ego and shut the damn schools early and help get the Coronavirus figures down.

As for the current; it’s a cloudy, damp, breeze start here.

not festive but certainly in sync with the time of year and current feel of things.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Great to see yet another weekend day ruined by weather which can be only described as crap.

• Like 5

Posted

A cold late autumn morning, early frost and hazy milky skies. Cloud has rolled in but still fairly clear, far better than the dank gloom that has pervaded much of November, and far better than the usual deluge and gales we often see at this time of year.

Not much can complain about.

My interest is turning to the middle-latter part of the coming week, good chance first proper falls of snow for the fells this season. Latd in coming this year, who knows may even get it down to low levels. Last December we had a brief fall mid-month. Dew points, thicknesses, uppers will determine the snow line, if it's quite intense, evaporative cooling will take hold, and provided airflow is slack as suggested those temps at surface will drop markedly. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

A cold late autumn morning, early frost and hazy milky skies. Cloud has rolled in but still fairly clear, far better than the dank gloom that has pervaded much of November, and far better than the usual deluge and gales we often see at this time of year.

Not much can complain about.

My interest is turning to the middle-latter part of the coming week, good chance first proper falls of snow for the fells this season. Latd in coming this year, who knows may even get it down to low levels. Last December we had a brief fall mid-month. Dew points, thicknesses, uppers will determine the snow line, if it's quite intense, evaporative cooling will take hold, and provided airflow is slack as suggested those temps at surface will drop markedly. 

A North / South divide in the NW region today it seems, it's been dark and miserable here with persistent although not heavy rain all day. A day to stay indoors and the street lights will soon be on, given the lack of light. Yuk!  

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

A North / South divide in the NW region today it seems, it's been dark and miserable here with persistent although not heavy rain all day. A day to stay indoors and the street lights will soon be on, given the lack of light. Yuk!  

Yep, damp first thing but then light rain and drizzle throughout the day since and it never really got light.

as you say Yuk☹️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Interesting week coming up weather wise a bit of everything,second half of the week turning colder and yes for some places snow is a distinct possibility worth keeping your eyes peeled as the models firm up on this in the next few days.

C.S

Edited by cheshire snow
  • Like 4

Posted

Opened the curtains to the same grotty weather than we closed them to yesterday.

what a let down from a weekend that at least promised some usable weather for putting outside Christmas lights up.

never mind though it certainly won’t be the first time I’ve been wet this year and it probably won’t be the last.

• Like 3

Posted
36 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Opened the curtains to the same grotty weather than we closed them to yesterday.

what a let down from a weekend that at least promised some usable weather for putting outside Christmas lights up.

never mind though it certainly won’t be the first time I’ve been wet this year and it probably won’t be the last.

Not-getting-light-properly season is here. I did see the moon peeking through the clouds yesterday evening though, so there is hope of a break.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, alr1970 said:

Not-getting-light-properly season is here. I did see the moon peeking through the clouds yesterday evening though, so there is hope of a break.

This time next week the moon will be shining down on thick snow........hopefully

• Like 4

Posted

Back to the grey gloom dankness, an uninspiring prospect of a day, very much sums up the mood and feel of November 2020 - good riddance! Expecting a day with little light, very early dusk, get those lights up and brighten the mood!

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted

Looks like it will be my first ever autumn without a frost. Just missed out 2 nights ago. Ironic when we had 2 frosts in mid May to destroy the prospects of an apple or plum harvest. Gloom gloom currently 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, heath said:

Looks like it will be my first ever autumn without a frost. Just missed out 2 nights ago. Ironic when we had 2 frosts in mid May to destroy the prospects of an apple or plum harvest. Gloom gloom currently 

We had a frost 2-3 mornings ago, but I think we must have missed the frosts in May as our apple crop locally has been one of the best in my 20 years in the area, and there have been baskets of free apples outside peoples' house until the past few days. Ditto blackberries in the hedgerows and damsons earlier in the year. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

It's coming ❄️

Screenshot_20201129-154201-608.thumb.png.1ea5b5a088284fa253ca41264b1c4075.png

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

It's coming ❄️

Screenshot_20201129-154201-608.thumb.png.1ea5b5a088284fa253ca41264b1c4075.png

At 2000 feet it should be cold enough for snow in any showers around later in the week but interestingly Thursday is showing snow for me which, although still high for a populated  area is only half as high ASL so at least the hills should have some festive white on them by the end of the coming week.

just need to wait for operation downgrade to commence now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Dispite what some say in the MO thread MET Office come up with this little beauty for the second half of the week "Turning colder with ice,frost and the risk of snow"

C.S

• Like 2

Posted

Key question for me is where will the snowline be come Friday. Look forward to seeing the fells with their first white coat of the season, late this year but should make for a seasonal weekend coming up at least. 

• Like 1

Posted

All looks a bit messy for the end of the week but the fact we are potentially talking about hail/sleet/snow chances is more than we were at this point last year.  It might be we have to suffer a bit of cold rain to start with but who knows, could be one of those rare rain-to-snow events with ice to follow?...as usual high ground will be favoured.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Yes - looking good altitudal from Thurs onwards - not round these parts of course.

Not had a decent frost yet though.

• Like 1