Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Finally stopped here about 3 o’clock but never really brightened.

it not often we get a quick clearance from a front though, it seems to stick to the tops so everything remains damp long after the rain stops but at least it has and hopefully Sunday promises the weather for the outside job I really wanted to sort today.

never mind, at least we spent the time putting the Christmas trees up....in November.

sorry but not my idea...........bah humbug

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, iand61 said:

Finally stopped here about 3 o’clock but never really brightened.

it not often we get a quick clearance from a front though, it seems to stick to the tops so everything remains damp long after the rain stops but at least it has and hopefully Sunday promises the weather for the outside job I really wanted to sort today.

never mind, at least we spent the time putting the Christmas trees up....in November.

sorry but not my idea...........bah humbug

Shocking that mate, same as next door Christmas started last week! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
7 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Shocking that mate, same as next door Christmas started last week! 

Some around here usually start in October but we’ve always been first week in December and then back in their boxes first week in Jan.

that said bonfire night seems to start around the summer solstice these days

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

I'm a bit of a humbug when it comes to decorations going up pre-December. If anyone has watched the Christmas Grumpy Old Men programmes, you'll understand.

I also find it a bit 'off' having Christmas trees up when it's so mild......another reason for wanting seasonal/festive weather.

• Like 3

Posted
9 hours ago, HafrenLMP1 said:

I'm a bit of a humbug when it comes to decorations going up pre-December. If anyone has watched the Christmas Grumpy Old Men programmes, you'll understand.

I also find it a bit 'off' having Christmas trees up when it's so mild......another reason for wanting seasonal/festive weather.

I agree but I’m beginning to think that one of the more unusual symptoms of lockdown and to much time in the house is thinking that Christmas trees and lights can go up far to early.

it’s certainly had that effect on my missus as she used to be in the up Christmas Eve and back down Boxing Day camp but not this year.

at least she’s held back from switching the damn things on yet

• Like 1

Posted

We've got our unused Christmas cards from last year down from the loft, being total Scrooges and not seeing Christmas cards as an 'essential shop' in the town centre. Other than that, we will continue our frugal life of misery a little longer. Oh, the weather's nice outside this morning. Bah humbug!  

• Like 1

Posted

Nice day ahead, sunny spells, light winds, limited chance of rain. Chilly max of 8 degrees briefly with a chilly night chance if ground frost, much more seasonal. Looking to week ahead, once past Tuesday, temps will be more typical for late Nov, maxed of 7 and again only briefly and low single digit figures, indeed slightly below. Not been able to say that for quite some time. Would like a couple of air frosts though.

We are at the point in the year, when it's a struggle for temps to climb after chilly nights, and the maximum temps you see forecast usually last an hour or two at most, and should not be used to gauge general feel of the day. Good to look at the trend temps shown through the day.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Strictly come ( a cropper) skating this morning. 

Icy glaze on everything and no grit.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

A continuing theme as we get to the second half of the week with frost and fog becoming the main headline with temperatures by day and night on the decline,if we cannot have snow yet then the above certainly gets the silver medal,at that time of year now where temperatures will struggle by day if it has been a cold night.Frost,fog colder by day yes bring it on cannot wait.

C.S

• Like 4

Posted

Health Warning stay out of the Mod Thread.

Good run,bad run blah blah blah enought to make your head spin.My view on this evenings ECM if you like mild unsettled atlantic weather then unlucky,if you like snow then again unlucky however if you like HP with fog and frost and sunny but cold days then this evenings ECM is for you.Could be a lot worse but continuous Zonal muk seems to be on hold for now.

C.S

• Like 4

Posted

@Day 10 nice post in the MOD thread first time in a long time ventured in there yesterday and even did a postSo proud and didn't get slaughtered find it so difficult to scroll through pages of waffle to find the posters that I respect and have far superior knowledge than myself,as you said day 10 on the ECM is a cracker and would probably be looking at some nice beefy snow showers from a very cold NW or NNW direction all FI stuff at the moment but nice to see some decent charts appearing instead of all the boring zonal Garbage.

C.S

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Yes the mod thread is comparable to the current "will we have xmas dinner with family or not." that depends on which tier you are in etc etc.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

@Day 10 nice post in the MOD thread first time in a long time ventured in there yesterday and even did a postSo proud and didn't get slaughtered find it so difficult to scroll through pages of waffle to find the posters that I respect and have far superior knowledge than myself,as you said day 10 on the ECM is a cracker and would probably be looking at some nice beefy snow showers from a very cold NW or NNW direction all FI stuff at the moment but nice to see some decent charts appearing instead of all the boring zonal Garbage.

C.S

Posted

C.S

As Roy Castle used to say "say what you see". Weather is all about opinions and that's what makes this site so good, plenty of knowledgeable people on here so never stop learning. One thing I have definitely learnt and especially during Winter is, don't get too high and don't get too low and any snow that comes our way is a bonus. Now, I must get back to work . 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Interesting model output today but I'm keeping my feet on the ground until the Met Office come on board. Past experience tells me that's a wise thing to do. It saves a lot of disappointment. Because their LRF is having none of this cold as we go into December. 

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Interesting model output today but I'm keeping my feet on the ground until the Met Office come on board. Past experience tells me that's a wise thing to do. It saves a lot of disappointment. Because their LRF is having none of this cold as we go into December. 

The Met Office forecasts can and do switch suddenly from day to day, we saw it happen a few days ago, dropped idea of settled, only to revert back to settled two days later. I'm not reading much into them at present as I keep expecting changes and flips 

• Like 2

Posted

Winter Sunrise in south Cheshire with a temperature of 2c cool and seasonal.

C.S

20201126_081145.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Weather warning issued for parts of the region for Fog overnight and into tomorrow morning.Met office written text suggesting a overnight low of -4c,areas that are effected by fog could well be close to an ice day tomorrow with effected areas only predicted ahigh of 2 or 3c.Take care if travelling later or tomorrow.:cold-emoji:

C.S

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Despite being in a valley it's a funny location here for fog as we just don't seem to get it. I know places lower down get it more around west and south Manchester & Cheshire. And the hill tops on the Pennines. We're in between those areas so tend to miss out on most of it. Watch this in the morning I will wake up to dense fog.

• Like 1

Posted

Weather warning issued for parts of the region for Fog overnight and into tomorrow morning.Met office written text suggesting a overnight low of -4c,areas that are effected by fog could well be close to an ice day tomorrow with effected areas only predicted ahigh of 2 or 3c.Take care if travelling later or tomorrow.:cold-emoji:

C.S

Usually fog is something we don’t get a lot of here as we are way up the valley with the fog tending to settle lower down towards the northern edge of Manchester and the warning area pretty well sums it up.

TBH I always feel a bit disappointed when I see a weather warning and then find out it’s for fog or ice; a bit like being offered a can of beer and then finding its supermarket own brand crap☹️

Posted
1 minute ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Despite being in a valley it's a funny location here for fog as we just don't seem to get it. I know places lower down get it more around west and south Manchester & Cheshire. And the hill tops on the Pennines. We're in between those areas so tend to miss out on most of it. Watch this in the morning I will wake up to dense fog.

What the Pennine tops get is low cloud rather than fog but it’s a similar situation around here as well.

3 or 4 miles lower down the valley gets a lot more fog than we do and half a mile up the road and 3 hounded feet higher is often shrouded in cloud  when it clear at home.

• Like 2

Posted

Mmm not enthused with the more immediate outlook, was looking like we may have some decent sunny cold weather with frost, now just looks a cloudy rather dank affair with frost risk reduced and temperatures around average. Little sunshine to lift the mood.. ending what has been a thoroughly dismal November.

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

C.S

Well it looks like too me that warning is going to end in a spectacular bust as stratus cloud has rolled in stopping temperatures from falling and fog forming. 

One thing I have noticed since moving down here is how rare dense fog or any meaningful foggy weather we experience. Probably can only count on one hand of it actually happening. 

Damienslaw - Yes the models have definately changed a bit, very slight but this weekend is now looking milder than first though and widespread double figures are making an comeback next week aswell as Atlantic weather it would seem. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Well it looks like too me that warning is going to end in a spectacular bust as stratus cloud has rolled in stopping temperatures from falling and fog forming. 

One thing I have noticed since moving down here is how rare dense fog or any meaningful foggy weather we experience. Probably can only count on one hand of it actually happening. 

Damienslaw - Yes the models have definately changed a bit, very slight but this weekend is now looking milder than first though and widespread double figures are making an comeback next week aswell as Atlantic weather it would seem. 

No bust here my commute to work this evening was a foggy affair from my home to the M56 about 15minute drive,however totally clear as approaching Manchester Airport Temperature at home was 2c When I got to work it has risen to 4.6c.

C.S

• Like 1