Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
27 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Don't forget that although 21 Dec is the shortest day, the evenings actually get lighter from 12th or 13th Dec. So we'll all be sitting outside enjoying the evening sun on Christmas Day, won't we?! Pity about the mornings. 

And a lot of water to go under the bridge before then!    Just another 200mm needed to smash the annual record here  (last 50 yrs records) and we are still in Nov!

• Like 2

Posted

Picture at midday looking south towards Cheshire and Welsh Borders and beyond.  Wondering if anyone can suggest why there were orange streaks.  Might see such colours at sunset, but not middle of the day surely.  Wind from west here at the time, but supsect those clouds were very high up and far away.

Wondering about pollution or dust.

sample.png
EARTH.NULLSCHOOL.NET

See current wind, weather, ocean, and pollution conditions, as forecast by supercomputers, on an interactive...

2020 Nov 17 noon orange streaks zoom.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Noticing the met office are tentatively moving away from their previously bullish long range out look of below average temps. Now it's changed to "close to or just below average". But it's not the norm to get a very good cold spell before Xmas anyway. Which is what made Nov/Dec 2010 all the more unusual & special. I reckon we'll have to be patient this Winter.....again

Posted
4 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Noticing the met office are tentatively moving away from their previously bullish long range out look of below average temps. Now it's changed to "close to or just below average". But it's not the norm to get a very good cold spell before Xmas anyway. Which is what made Nov/Dec 2010 all the more unusual & special. I reckon we'll have to be patient this Winter.....again

We've been patient since winter 12/13 exception of 17/18, so nothing new. I never expect much from December, snow is a bonus if it arrives before Christmas. I do expect a few frosty nights at least though and a cold set of days at some stage, in recent years we've had a share of them in November or very early December, so have had a fix.. this year.. mmm no signs of such weather just yet, so patience on this front will be wearing thin once December arrives. A colder blocked spell in early December can be a signal though perhaps of more colder weather rest of winter such as in 2008, 2012 and 2017. All other winters since 2010/11 have seen mild starts to winter followed by just mostly mild weather.. winters 13/14, 15/16, 16/17, 18/19 and 19/20 delivered just one day of snow cover, shocking, indeed 13/14 not even that! Abysmal stuff. In all those years the snowfall came in either January or February and no more than an inch or two, last year 3 inches but it thawed as soon as it fell..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted

On the basis of last winter, I have given up hope of ever seeing low-lying snow again. We have plenty of high ground nearby for a day trip when conditions allow.

With that mindset in place, anything more is a pleasant treat.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Ah, the late winter snow in late Feb/early March is almost nature laughing at us........an inch/  light dusting, all gone by mid afternoon. And that's your lot until next year (if you're lucky).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
2 hours ago, alr1970 said:

On the basis of last winter, I have given up hope of ever seeing low-lying snow again. We have plenty of high ground nearby for a day trip when conditions allow.

With that mindset in place, anything more is a pleasant treat.

Get yourself up on the hills tonight you may see a snowflake fly pass in the wind

C.S

Edited by cheshire snow
  • Like 2

Posted

Proper cold front that: two minutes of hammering rain and the temp dropped by 4 degrees. Still gloomy, looking forward to some sunshine tomorrow.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
23 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes seen that, I think they think we won't notice, and by this time next week will read - Winds from the Sahara, temps way above average, get the BBQ back out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Pretty wild out there at the moment with wind & rain. In terms of this Winter don't lose the faith guys. I know the last 2 years have been trying to say the least but I think we'll have at least 1 good cold spell this time round, can't guarantee a 2009/2010 special though (which now seems ages ago!). But we are still a long way from Spring.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Nothing unusual for this time of year but snow falling over the Scottish high ground at the moment.

@Frost HoIIow agree with your post hopefully some pre Xmas snow and then a SSW in February to bring a more lengthy cold spell

As ever with our climate we will wait and see.

C.S

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Pretty wild out there at the moment with wind & rain. In terms of this Winter don't lose the faith guys. I know the last 2 years have been trying to say the least but I think we'll have at least 1 good cold spell this time round, can't guarantee a 2009/2010 special though (which now seems ages ago!). But we are still a long way from Spring.

Yes, I was quite surprised how wet it was underfoot at 7am this morning and the wind had come round to a chilly NE. Sun is out at the moment but I think it's going to be a day when the washing stays indoors! 

• Like 2

Posted

Nice fresher day today, after this morning's early showers.  Shame the blink-and-you'll-miss-it cold snap couldn't last at least 24hrs to give a chance of some overnight frost....alas cloud and rain will pile in to resume the normal state of affairs.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A thoroughly depressing days weather.

not much else to say really but the weekend promises something a bit better, just hope it delivers on its promises.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
4 hours ago, iand61 said:

A thoroughly depressing days weather.

not much else to say really but the weekend promises something a bit better, just hope it delivers on its promises.

Something we've seen far too many of in recent autumn/winters; grey, dank, wet, etc   

Oh for a spell of cold, crisp & clear days....

• Like 4

Posted

Wet misery and gloom continue.  Horizontal drifting light ran and drizzle like yesterday.

So far this month 169 mm (av 155.2 mm). 

50 yr annual record was 1984.0 mm in 2012.   Looks likely it will be beaten this year.

Currently the total for 2020 is 1819.8 mm.  Already the 4th wettest year.

In the 1970s early 1980s we used to get about 1400 mm a year.   Since 2000,  1600 - 1700 mm more common.

This year's rain is extraordinary.  Not surprising the countryside is at a sodden standstill. 

• Like 3

Posted
42 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

We've actually had a mild and sunny morning here in the south of the region, but I don't think the rain on the cold front is too far away now.

Lucky Cheshire. Rained ALL morning here.

Edited by Rain Lady
spelling
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 hour ago, Rain Lady said:

Lucky Cheshire. Rained ALL morning here.

Same here in East Lancs, started about mid morning and not stopped since......depressing

Posted

Thankfully the rain cleared by noon, and the afternoon has been bright with some welcome sunshine inbetween the clouds, nice patches of blue sky. Reason - polar maritime air! Never get cloud clearance under tropical maritime. 

Quite a chilly night expected, and tomorrow will be chilly, max of 7 degrees, possibly 8, which is below average.

Next week will bring a see-saw between TM and PM air, early in the week TM air back, mid week PM air, rejoice the polar maritime airstream!