Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
On 29 August 2020 at 05:35, Weather-history said:

Wow this has sneaked up quietly,

Wettest summers on record for region (mm)

2012: 430.6

1956: 417.5

1912: 394.9

2007: 394.4

2020: ~ 390

Amazingly,  it has gone down as the 3rd wettest summer on record. 

2020: 397.0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Well the last few days have been very mixed with a mixture of cloud, rain, showers and sunshine at times. Temperatures in the mid teens and a moderate westerly breeze. Cold at night.

I was out yesterday and it was cool, dry and mostly cloudy. I found the wind really refreshing.

If this was still summer I would be moaning but as we are into September now (and officially into meteorological autumn) I don’t mind. This kind of weather is all very typical for September around here anyway.

Would I prefer a high pressure setup with clear warm sunny days? Yes. But we have to take what we are given.

Posted
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Amazingly,  it has gone down as the 3rd wettest summer on record. 

2020: 397.0

Wetter than 2007? Amazing. What’s strange is it hasn’t felt as wet as 2012. What has bothered me more though has been the severe lack of warmth and sunshine. Far too many days stuck in the mid teens (or even low teens on some days) with gloomy grey skies. Even on days when the sun has been out, it’s often struggled to reach 20°C, making it feel more like late September rather than summer.

Despite being almost as wet, I enjoyed summer 2019 much more than this “summer”. Much more pleasant useful days and more sunshine and warmth overall. The 1st half of June 2019 was absolutely appalling, but the 2nd half wasn’t too bad and most of July 2019 was dominated by dry sunny days in the high teens low twenties - lots of pleasant usable weather. Plus the heatwave at the end of the month was pretty epic. The same can’t be said for this July sadly. August 2019 was pretty poor but the first week was quite warm and there was a heatwave at the end of the month. This August was warm/hot at the start but got worse as it went on, ending on an unseasonably cold note.

But yes as bad as it’s been, I’m surprised it’s ended up in the top 3 wettest. Maybe I am getting used to wetter summers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
3 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Well the last few days have been very mixed with a mixture of cloud, rain, showers and sunshine at times. Temperatures in the mid teens and a moderate westerly breeze. Cold at night.

I was out yesterday and it was cool, dry and mostly cloudy. I found the wind really refreshing.

If this was still summer I would be moaning but as we are into September now (and officially into meteorological autumn) I don’t mind. This kind of weather is all very typical for September around here anyway.

Would I prefer a high pressure setup with clear warm sunny days? Yes. But we have to take what we are given.

Yeah same here, we often get decent weather once the schools go back and even into October it can be ok but I don’t feel as bothered if we get rain and wind in September onwards as I would in the summer months.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Not been the nicest of days but at least it has been dry.......until now. 
just glad I decided against a quick afternoon walk.

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, iand61 said:

Not been the nicest of days but at least it has been dry.......until now. 
just glad I decided against a quick afternoon walk.

Strange that. The afternoon was actually better than the morning here.

Posted

Some nice convective shower action on this Timelapse. This was filmed in Moss Norway and they have been uploading daily Timelapse s for a few years. I remember during the beast from the east in 2018 they got down to around -15°C or so. They are often getting better weather than us at the moment.

Not in any way related to the north west England region but I thought might as well as not much interesting weather going on at the moment - this thread always seems to go quiet in September - probably because it’s one of the most boring months of the year for the weather - in an already very boring climate lol.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

Very autumnal day yesterday. Out on the high fells, windchill made it feel close to freezing. Temps early eve under heavy rain the valleys 11 degrees. It's a bit brighter today and so far dry, but distinctly autumnal. Some years it's a slow descent into Autumn, this year it's been an early one.

• Like 1

Posted

You've got to have "meh" weather sometimes...and currently we have this type of weather.  Nothing going on, mostly grey (bits of drizzle/light rain), temps average, and winds a bit sleepy, light levels poor.

One last 'hurrah' for summer start of next week?...maybe.

meh - expressing a lack of interest or enthusiasm, uninspiring; unexceptional.

Edited by dodge
  • Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, dodge said:

You've got to have "meh" weather sometimes...and currently we have this type of weather.  Nothing going on, mostly grey (bits of drizzle/light rain), temps average, and winds a bit sleepy, light levels poor.

One last 'hurrah' for summer start of next week?...maybe.

meh - expressing a lack of interest or enthusiasm, uninspiring; unexceptional.

Yes, that’s just how I’d describe today’s weather - overcast all day with light rain/drizzle during the afternoon and evening with quite a brisk wind later on as well. It felt mild and quite humid though - often the case with tropical maritime south-westerly airstreams. At least it’s comfortable though, better than scorching heat and I prefer it to the arctic air like we had during the bank holiday.

Tomorrow is forecast to be warm (for September) but cloudy with highs of 19 degrees here. Looks mixed before then looking better next week.

Posted
28 minutes ago, Alexis said:

None stop drizzle here for about 18 hours yet absolutely nothing on the radar!

The cloud is probably so low that it’s not showing up! But Manchester is the drizzle capital of the world so it’s to be expected really, especially with the moist south westerly flow that we are in. Bet it’s been wet up in the Lakes.

Posted

Thick cloud, drizzly and humid today thanks to the moist south-westerly, could get pretty warm if the sun bothers to make an appearance in this sort of setup. But looking at today’s forecast that seems unlikely. The next few days are looking much better for sunshine.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

Patchy drizzle and light rain on and on.  Picked up 12.9mm this morning from the manual gauge on the Met Office site here.    Already 38.4mm this month.   Somewhere up there maybe there's a sun shining.

Work on the land this summer has been so difficult.  Crops poor in the wet sunless.conditiions.

August total was 200.0 mm exactly.

Total for June, July, Aug = 660.5mm. !!

Did fellow residents in the NW see the charts here --

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/metofficegovuk/pdf/weather/learn-about/uk-past-events/summaries/uk_monthly_climate_summary_summer_2020_3.pdf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Wow another planet here. The sun has been out all afternoon and it’s a beautiful day. I think it was out a lot this morning as well and no rain today. Currently 22.6°C. Massive foehn effect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

@Rain Lady Hi I remember you from when I used to be on the Metcheck forum years ago if it is you. Nice to see you around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

@Rain Lady Hi I remember you from when I used to be on the Metcheck forum years ago if it is you. Nice to see you around.

I was on that too, flashback memories, not as good as this forum of course, still remember Savo Trivic from Hertfordshire, block/ignore feature would've been handy

• Like 1

Posted

Mmm could hear rain on the window pane, checked radar, shows nothing at all, look outside now it's raining heavy... mmm radar not working I think.

A word on today, the dreaded SW airflow, light rain or drizzle non stop, cloud at valley level. Miserable day!

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
20 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Mmm could hear rain on the window pane, checked radar, shows nothing at all, look outside now it's raining heavy... mmm radar not working I think.

A word on today, the dreaded SW airflow, light rain or drizzle non stop, cloud at valley level. Miserable day!

Very similar for me to.

Posted

"Today will be a fine, bright day with sunshine for many although there is some low cloud about to start the day, over SW Scotland and Cumbria, inland Wales and the Midlands into Yorkshire in particular. There will be a few showers for Northern Ireland and inland Scotland but a scattering for NW Scotland today brought in on a moderate SW wind. For the rest of the UK, winds will be light thanks to the high pressure but temperatures will be down on the early part of this week. Between 15 and 21C with a fresher, less humid feel to the air" (Netweather)

Memo to Netweather, it's pouring here now in South Cheshire, and as for the sunshine and fine bright day......

Disgruntled of Crewe

Posted
On 08/09/2020 at 17:29, Chris.R said:

Yes, hello, it's me Chrs.  I had noticed you around too.

Feeling very depressed at the state of farmland and buildings up here after this dreadfully wet cloudy summer.  A long dry sunny spell would lift spirits and allow some catch up with work.

• Like 2