Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

I'm awkwardly half hanging out of my bedroom window watching the orange and white flashes from the cell near knutsford, saw just the one cg.  Lovely low deep distant booms heard, been rumbling on for a little while. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Going to call it a night. Had some good rumbles here with bits and pieces of rain but nothing really directly overhead. Nothing as noteworthy as the west of the region. But it's looking interesting tomorrow Enjoy yourselves guys.

Screenshot_20200811-015656.thumb.png.541d1609aaf0c30fd9b16086a09ff02c.png

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

epic storm activity for the past 3 hours or so.. still flashing away now as it moves northwards. Ive not seen such frequent long lasting lightning.. ever. The thunder was more audible here, and some loud thunder near the back end of the MCS

• Like 5

Posted

Some of the flashes in terms of their brightness in the last 20 mins has been insane, the pink hues really turning night into day briefly. 

Ironically the rain is not as heavy as the radar may suggest but the structure and seeing the clouds tops on Sat 24 is just epic really. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.

This has been one of the most longest intense thunderstorms I have experienced in a long time, certainly rivalling those on continental Europe.

Began with flashes of lightning from around 21:00 - 22:00 until the thunder and rain set in around 22:30.

Loud bangs and rumbles with repetitive lightning and bouts of rain/heavy rain.

Still going on now and looking at the radar will continue for a good few hours yet.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
3 hours ago, Barmada_Casten said:

This has been one of the most longest intense thunderstorms I have experienced in a long time, certainly rivalling those on continental Europe.

Began with flashes of lightning from around 21:00 - 22:00 until the thunder and rain set in around 22:30.

Loud bangs and rumbles with repetitive lightning and bouts of rain/heavy rain.

Still going on now and looking at the radar will continue for a good few hours yet.

We were passing through yesterday.  We briefly stopped at Torver watching holidaymakers arrive setting up tents.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Potentially 3 more nights if that. 

Rinse and Repeat 

• Like 3

Posted

Congrats to those who enjoyed the pyrotechnic show up the west coast last night...not a dicky bird here, only plus was an uninterrupted nights sleep.  However we have started with some heavy drizzle which for a mill town is very fitting.  Hopefully it clears, the suns comes out and starts to fuel some t-storms later today. 

Edited by dodge
  • Like 1

Posted

Blue sky now after last night sun drying things up,not had much sleep good job I booked some days off work,back in tomorrow so an early night if things don't kick off again

• Like 1

Posted

Met office going for a max of 30°c today and 32°c tomorrow in the north west, higher than predicted yesterday

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Around 29-30C needed today to break the cap according to convective weather website. After a sunny start here, we now have a legacy of elevated crud moving up from the South. Going to need this to clear away rapidly to provide decent chance of reaching this temp.

• Like 3

Posted

Not much to report here but happy for those to my west who got to see decent pyro...

Meto app looks very uninspiring here for the next few days, hope it's not a dud.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

There is so much energy being generated in the atmosphere that if you can catch a storm, it is likely to be amazing but it seems that there will be a lack of forcing to sustain storms once they develop for more than an hour or two today according to the forecasts. We also have to have sufficient temp to break through the cap in the first place. Need to get lucky and have one develop in situ or close by today it seems.

At least the cloud seems to be clearing here quite easily and we now have hazy sunshine.

Edited by Dexter
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

What a night!! I've had frequent lightning across the skies last night. That was lasted a long time here, never seen such frequent lightning in these parts before!!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

25C here currently .. so as long as the sea breeze stays away and the showers actually materialise , should hit 30C today and break the cap

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
11 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Radar looks locked & loaded for you guys in the west of the region.

You were right, reports of flash flooding around Preston and Lancaster this morning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
11 hours ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Thats the best thunderstorm ive ever witnessed, by some distance aswell! Constant thunder, flashes every 2 seconds with some nice cg strikes and some monsoon like rain, for about 90 minutes! Absolutely EPIC! Well happy with that.

Sounds like the severe thunderstorm I experienced on 16th September 2016, that was epic, was caught out in it as well! Haven’t had a severe thunderstorm since then, but my luck might be in this week.

Had some constant flashes around 11:30-12:30 last night, very strange, no thunder or rain. My dad said he heard thunder during the early hours but I didn’t hear anything. Must’ve slept through it.

• Like 1