Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Not looking as good for tonight as it did this morning most of the good stuff looking like Been over North Wales heading north might well be a decent light show for members living on the coast.Notice tomorrow has now changed to been a sunny day with temperatures just shy of 30c still think the main action will be tomorrow night as the LP from the south pushes north.

C.S

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
4 minutes ago, karyo said:

Nice thunderstorm in Birmingham and a couple of cells northwest of London. The problem is (like with the Cambridge storm earlier) that those surface based storms come up and die quite quickly.

Hopefully these develop into something longer lasting and more extensive. The recent updates to the airport forecasts are still going for thunderstorm risk until 3AM so I still have hope for tonight. Would be nice to at least get a decent light show if not a direct hit.

• Like 2

Posted

Skies very quiet around Macclesfield at the moment, there's still the potential for storms to push up from the south of the region, keeping my eye on any development Stoke on Trent area.  Saw this network of cirrus earlier.

IMG_20200810_192017.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
46 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Hopefully these develop into something longer lasting and more extensive. The recent updates to the airport forecasts are still going for thunderstorm risk until 3AM so I still have hope for tonight. Would be nice to at least get a decent light show if not a direct hit.

The forecast was for things to develop in the midlands and move north, the current shower at Birmingham is growing and has potential.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Spits and spots of rain but no noise yet.

C.S

20200810_201624.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

we might get a few showers migrating north, but they will definitely be more of an isolated hit and miss in nature. 

Interesting to see the atmosphere is so humid that the high humidity is showing as an area of water vapour on the rainfall radar.

I currently have a perfect viewpoint to see storms over Wales, should be continue to fire off. Especially should they come within the range of the Clwydian hills. 

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Can't see there being any action tonight. Still a few more days of chances though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

yes looking at the radar evolution, it seems like any sharp showers and storms are solely being created by elevation and topography. In less hilly areas, they are basically drizzly affairs. As that night goes on you will naturally expect it to quiet down a bit too

Posted

Still some indications from the weather apps (as useless as they may be at times) that our greater chance of instability comes overnight...not that I'll be awake to witness it.

Edit: Isle of man getting another direct hit, lucky sods

Edited by dodge

Posted
14 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

yes looking at the radar evolution, it seems like any sharp showers and storms are solely being created by elevation and topography. In less hilly areas, they are basically drizzly affairs. As that night goes on you will naturally expect it to quiet down a bit too

To me it looks like the area of instabilty in the atmosphere is further west. Otherwise, you would have storms breaking over the Pennine chain and the Irish Sea dead as  a dodo. 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

To me it looks like the area of instabilty in the atmosphere is further west. Otherwise, you would have storms breaking over the Pennine chain and the Irish Sea dead as  a dodo. 

good points. You can see on the radar, there is an attempt to initiate something down the borders of Wales, but it's just failing and giving up. 

Tomorrow is another day and possibly equally or maybe even a better chance of seeing something than today.. especially if the 30C mark is reached, which it looks like it could be away from the coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Stopped my workout early to watch this beauty! Seen 3 Cg strikes and constant flashing/rumbling to my south! Get in there!

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Stopped my workout early to watch this beauty! Seen 3 Cg strikes and constant flashing/rumbling to my south! Get in there!

yes I can see that one of the radar, looks very potent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Quite a disappointing day here. Reached 24/25C but mostly cloudy (despite the forecast for a sunny day today) and no thunder or rain whatsoever except for a very brief shower mid afternoon. Deffo seem to have missed out here.

The next few days look to be warm, humid and thundery but little in the way of sunshine.

I think Daminslaw is definetely right when he says that April and May are the best months for prolonged dry and clear weather. July and August are warmer on average but are usually much more cloudy. I don't really care much for warm, cloudy, humid conditions, I much preferred the dry, sunny and low humidity conditions we had in the Spring. Much more pleasant.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
57 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Guess that explains why there's been nothing here yet so far. Never mind, still four potentially thundery days to go...

• Like 2

Posted

Getting a distant light show from the Wales storm, not coming this way obviously but it looks a good storm.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Torrential rain here now, constant rumbling, the odd flash. 

• Like 3

Posted

Looks like more development to the south, maybe impacting more central parts of the region. Will have to see if it develops or fizzles out. 

Edit: Weird strobe lightning here. No rain or thunder but near constant elevated flashes. Very weird. 

Edited by Mark88
  • Like 3