Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

It still feels hot! I will go to the gym now which is nicely air conditioned and by the time I come back the fresher breeze should be here.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, Alexis said:

32C now at Manchester Airport.

Is 33 or 34 our all time record?

33.8C on 1st August 1990. From what I recall last July came close to that though. I think with the warming climate we'll go past 34C soon enough. We seem to be challenging it most years now!

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted

Marked drop in temp past couple of hours or so, at least 5 degrees, now at 22 degrees, cloud overhead and cold front approaching. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
55 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

33.8C on 1st August 1990. From what I recall last July came close to that though. I think with the warming climate we'll go past 34C soon enough. We seem to be challenging it most years now!

I recorded 33C last July so I wasn't far off then!

• Like 1

Posted

Clouded over during the afternoon and felt very warm and muggy earlier. Had a few spots of rain and feels a bit cooler and fresher outside now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Pretty poor start to the day up here but it’s been a decent last few hours and it looks like Sunday could be very similar.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like the cooker's being turned on again for the end of next week, we may count our blessings that we reside in the North West away from the intense heat of the South East.  If it pans out that way.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
1 hour ago, dodge said:

Looks like the cooker's being turned on again for the end of next week, we may count our blessings that we reside in the North West away from the intense heat of the South East.  If it pans out that way.

Still pushing 30-31c across the south of the region into next weekend mid- high 20s across Lancs/ Cumbria and will feel more humid than yesterday was too it’s been a very long time since we’ve seen a decent August hopefully some thunderstorms thrown in as well! ?☀️ 

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Hoping that the next hot spell lasts longer than this last one did.
My regional lockdown has already been in force twice as long as my latest attempt at summer lasted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

We hit 32C on Friday. It went overcast way earlier than forecast though, about 2:30pm, and it was 24C by 5pm. It rained for most of the afternoon. What a joke!

next weekend looks far sunnier. 

Posted
19 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

We hit 32C on Friday. It went overcast way earlier than forecast though, about 2:30pm, and it was 24C by 5pm. It rained for most of the afternoon. What a joke!

next weekend looks far sunnier. 

Yes despite the heat, Friday gone wasn't a classic hot summer day in the NW, hazy skies by early afternoon, and as you sat by teatime rain over much of region and significant drop in temps. Coming Friday looks like being a more classic summer day, only blue sky and sunshine dawn until dusk makes for a classic summer day and summer spell. Haze, showers, thunder don't do it even if temps are in the 30s.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Yes despite the heat, Friday gone wasn't a classic hot summer day in the NW, hazy skies by early afternoon, and as you sat by teatime rain over much of region and significant drop in temps. Coming Friday looks like being a more classic summer day, only blue sky and sunshine dawn until dusk makes for a classic summer day and summer spell. Haze, showers, thunder don't do it even if temps are in the 30s.

I'm not by any means someone who can read all the intricacies of weather charts , however if I'm right then there has been a massive downgrade for us in the NW from what they were predicting yesterday for next week.From what I can see we could well end up under rain bearing fronts whilst the SE basks in 34-38c and sunshine.Is this correct

Edited by Spurry

Posted
2 hours ago, Spurry said:

I'm not by any means someone who can read all the intricacies of weather charts , however if I'm right then there has been a massive downgrade for us in the NW from what they were predicting yesterday for next week.From what I can see we could well end up under rain bearing fronts whilst the SE basks in 34-38c and sunshine.Is this correct

Well depends on what you call a downgrade. Friday looks like the peak of the heat currently with 27-31c likely quite widely breaking down into storm chances for the weekend that will hold back temperatures somewhat but with high humidity will probably feel still very warm with temperatures varying between the mid- high 20s for the majority into the following week but yes not the extreme heat of London & the SE. Nights are going to be uncomfortable for all but unbearable down there with high humidity so a blessing rather than a curse perhaps. 

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
41 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Well depends on what you call a downgrade. Friday looks like the peak of the heat currently with 27-31c likely quite widely breaking down into storm chances for the weekend that will hold back temperatures somewhat but with high humidity will probably feel still very warm with temperatures varying between the mid- high 20s for the majority into the following week but yes not the extreme heat of London & the SE. Nights are going to be uncomfortable for all but unbearable down there with high humidity so a blessing rather than a curse perhaps. 

The GFS 6z shows rain over us next weekend

ukprec.png

Posted
33 minutes ago, Spurry said:

The GFS 6z shows rain over us next weekend

ukprec.png

Yep humid & wet (not a nice mix) with fingers crossed the potential for storms. Nothing nailed on yet though and it could well be the case of heavy potentially thundery showers rather than the mass of rain the GFS is currently showing. 

• Like 2

Posted

Lovely sunshine this morning but really chilly. Had a shower this morning, now mostly cloudy and breezy. Typical polar maritime stuff. 

• Like 1

Posted

Well overall that's not a bad set of ensembles. Certainly not the July horror show. August looking like bucking the trend.

1252646011_gfs-oldham-gb-535n-2w(3).thumb.jpeg.74b1bd47ab1f327972aa8a8fb7883ee2.jpeg

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

This wind tonight feels amazing. It has a very unusual quality to it. It is very thick and blustery and full of character. It feels like it has a history. A wind of change. At least it’s dry for now.

• Like 3

Posted
On 3 August 2020 at 00:35, Frost HoIIow said:

Well overall that's not a bad set of ensembles. Certainly not the July horror show. August looking like bucking the trend.

1252646011_gfs-oldham-gb-535n-2w(3).thumb.jpeg.74b1bd47ab1f327972aa8a8fb7883ee2.jpeg

But will it be sunny? That has been the problem this summer, cloud. Rainfall has been less of an issue, so far. Get the sun and temperatures are less of an issue. 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted
57 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

But will it be sunny? That has been the problem this summer, cloud. Rainfall has been less of an issue, so far. Get the sun and temperatures are less of an issue. 

Yes since I posted those ensembles I don't think it looks as good long term now. Hence probably best to not look beyond 5 days or so. Friday & the weekend look good enough though at the minute, should be some decent sun.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted

Thought I heard a rumble of thunder last night around midnight, not sure if it was just a strong gust of wind though

Weekend looking good though for warmth & sun so something to look forward to

• Like 3