Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
13 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Not seen the forecast, is it looking dry or back to wet, wet, wet.

Still dry until the weekend, partly cloudy Monday and Tuesday with chilly nights, cloudy from Wednesday onwards with warmer nights, temps disappointing for July, only 16-19C.

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

14-day weather forecast for BB8.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
24 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Still dry until the weekend, partly cloudy Monday and Tuesday with chilly nights, cloudy from Wednesday onwards with warmer nights, temps disappointing for July, only 16-19C.

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

14-day weather forecast for BB8.

Spent to weekend doing some decking for my daughter.

Got wet yesterday and sunburned today.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Spent to weekend doing some decking for my daughter.

Got wet yesterday and sunburned today.

Surprised you got sunburnt. Hasn't been hot today by any stretch of the imagination and the sun that we did get was pretty weak.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I can't see any proper warm or hot weather for the rest of this month now, athough things can change at short notice. But as of today it's looking like a cooler month than July 2012. Even that mediocre month produced a brief very warm spell in the 3rd week. Only August can rescue this Summer now; which has certainly been poor. Only those with rose tinted spectacles would say otherwise.

• Like 2

Posted

Lovely day of walking Porth Neigwl, in the Llyn peninsula yesterday. Light breeze and strong sunshine. 

20200719_181815.jpg

20200719_181744.jpg

20200719_174406.jpg

20200719_170944.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
11 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I can't see any proper warm or hot weather for the rest of this month now, athough things can change at short notice. But as of today it's looking like a cooler month than July 2012. Even that mediocre month produced a brief very warm spell in the 3rd week. Only August can rescue this Summer now; which has certainly been poor. Only those with rose tinted spectacles would say otherwise.

Yes, I agree. Even though it hasn’t been as wet as 2012, it’s been the coldest and dullest July I’ve ever known. Mean max currently standing at 15.7°C, what I’d expect in May or September. Still haven’t reached 20°C here yet, and it’s looking increasingly likely that that will remain the case. Will be a first for me if it doesn’t even reach 20°C in July!

• Like 2

Posted

Cool, mostly cloudy, breezy. Booooooooooring.

Posted
5 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes, I agree. Even though it hasn’t been as wet as 2012, it’s been the coldest and dullest July I’ve ever known. Mean max currently standing at 15.7°C, what I’d expect in May or September. Still haven’t reached 20°C here yet, and it’s looking increasingly likely that that will remain the case. Will be a first for me if it doesn’t even reach 20°C in July!

Yes we have still to reach 20. Got to 19 on a couple of occasions. Preety woeful given July average maxima is 20/21 degrees. Equivalent to a January not delivering a max higher than 4 degrees.. never get winter months that do it..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
20 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Surprised you got sunburnt. Hasn't been hot today by any stretch of the imagination and the sun that we did get was pretty weak.

Must have been stronger in West Yorkshire although I agree it wasn’t hot but outside for 10 hours is enough to tan.

• Like 3

Posted

What a difference a year makes. No comparison with a year ago this week, culminating in the hottest ever day on 25th July 2019. It was really cold when I stepped out at 7am this morning in S Cheshire (not sure how cold but cold for July), and although it is warming up a bit now with the sun out, it is quite unlike this time last year. I hope no-one's going to say 2020 has been the hottest year ever!

• Like 2

Posted

Another beautiful day yesterday. A slight northwesterly breeze kept the cloud over mainland Wales so the Llyn peninsula was once again sunny.

I visited the town of Criccieth which is very pretty. The castle is still closed fir visitors due to covid restrictions.

20200720_134235.jpg

20200720_135626.jpg

20200720_174405.jpg

20200720_154126.jpg

20200720_184655.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
40 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Lovely photos @karyo, I'm glad the weather is in your favour, been pleasant here, though a little on the cool side.

Thank you Rush, the nights are pretty cool but once the sun comes out it feels nice.

• Like 3

Posted

This July is doing a very good impression of some very mediocre Septembers.

• Like 4

Posted

Started off quite pleasant with sunny spells, dark grey skies now to the south, garden thermometer looks like it's going to max. At 17°.  

Posted
3 hours ago, Alexis said:

This July is doing a very good impression of some very mediocre Septembers.

Indeed it is, feels just like late September. Even when the suns out it struggles to get above 16°C. Yesterday evening the sun was out but it felt very cool and Septembery rather than pleasant and balmy like a July evening should. Certainly not an evening where you’d want to sit out in shorts and a t-shirt while having a BBQ. We’ve had quite a few chilly nights recently as well which adds to the autumnal/Septembery feel.

• Like 1

Posted

Been a mix of sunny/cloudy periods the last few days but today does feel a bit warmer, reached 17.7°C at Stonyhurst at 7 pm. Not that that’s anything to write home about in July.

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, karyo said:

Another beautiful day yesterday. A slight northwesterly breeze kept the cloud over mainland Wales so the Llyn peninsula was once again sunny.

I visited the town of Criccieth which is very pretty. The castle is still closed fir visitors due to covid restrictions.

20200720_134235.jpg

20200720_135626.jpg

20200720_174405.jpg

20200720_154126.jpg

20200720_184655.jpg

That looks beautiful! Absolutely stunning scenery, esspecially with the hills in the background. Most coastline is very flat but in Wales you get the hills next to the sea. Kind of reminds me of Barmouth of the west coast of Wales which I visited last year, but this looks nicer imo. 

Weather tends to be better on the coast, more sunshine, though you can get chilly winds coming from off the sea. Wish I lived there.

Not a bad climate for those who like mild weather year round: 

1200px-Criccieth_beach.JPG
EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

• Like 2

Posted

One of the better days this month today, but that's not saying much. Decent lengthy sunny spells interspersed with cloudy spells. Temps up to 18 degrees just about,  below par for July still.

Next few days look less than inspiring, Friday pick of the bunch with a brief sunny period. Temperatures look like remaining below average - might get close to 20 degrees Sunday possibly wow!

What a lacklustre July this is turning into. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

One of the better days this month today, but that's not saying much. Decent lengthy sunny spells interspersed with cloudy spells. Temps up to 18 degrees just about,  below par for July still.

Next few days look less than inspiring, Friday pick of the bunch with a brief sunny period. Temperatures look like remaining below average - might get close to 20 degrees Sunday possibly wow!

Yes the official CET is below average currently sitting at -0.6. Although away from that zone it is likely lower in some spots. Quite notable and a similar value to July 2012 which ended on -0.5. Last time we had a below average CET was in November I think. 

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted
13 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

That looks beautiful! Absolutely stunning scenery, esspecially with the hills in the background. Most coastline is very flat but in Wales you get the hills next to the sea. Kind of reminds me of Barmouth of the west coast of Wales which I visited last year, but this looks nicer imo. 

Weather tends to be better on the coast, more sunshine, though you can get chilly winds coming from off the sea. Wish I lived there.

Not a bad climate for those who like mild weather year round: 

1200px-Criccieth_beach.JPG
EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Yes it is a very beautiful part of Wales and considering the peninsula is only about 30 miles long, it has a variety of scenery including some volcanic hills, the tallest is about 560 metres (Yr Eifl) and has an almost perfect come as a peak. It is visible in some of the photos below that I took yesterday from the beach of Nefyn in the north of the island. 

20200721_175051.jpg

20200721_150856.jpg

20200721_130858.jpg

20200721_130849.jpg

20200721_130009.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Been mostly cloudy here for days. Just need some sun for mental health and to be able to do my butterfly surveys! 

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, James M said:

Been mostly cloudy here for days. Just need some sun for mental health and to be able to do my butterfly surveys! 

Strange that. Plenty of sunshine here since Sunday, though not wall to wall sun by any means with some cloudy periods. Today has been completely overcast though.

Posted
17 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes I’ve never known such a prolonged spell of below average temperatures in the summer before. As Frost Hollow said, even July 2012 had some warm/hot weather towards the end of the month. And the lack of sunshine makes it worse. To not even reach average temperatures in any month of the year (let alone July) is pretty atrocious to be honest.

Reminds me a bit of July 1988 (though I wasn’t around then). The highest temperatures that month were shocking and abysmal and Manchester never got above 21°C all month. Which could happen this month unless its got above that already.

WWW.THEWEATHEROUTLOOK.COM

As we bask in a glorious spell of weather, we approach the 30-year anniversary of an infamous summer month. And by "infamous" I mean infamously bad: this was a month that most of us...

• Like 3