Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

Wanting some cloud free nights so I can go look at Comet Neowise, could just about make it out last night with the naked eye but wasn't worth venturing outdoors somewhere darker to get some pics

Posted

Finally something a bit more summery today, long periods of sunshine and decent temps at 21c - I'll take 21 over 31 any day of the week, although 23-24 low humidity and gentle breeze is my preferred sweet spot.  The only thing a hot, sweaty 30+ is good for is the potential late evening thunderstorm.  A few cloudy blips through this week but mostly dry.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

After yesterday’s sunshine, it’s back to normal here today. Overcast and drizzly early afternoon, clearing to cloudy with occasional sunny spells by late afternoon. It also feels quite humid as well despite the cooler temperatures. Currently 15.8°C with 84% humidity.

Reached 19.7°C at Stonyhurst yesterday, the highest temperature so far this month. Shows how bad this month has been.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

While we are enduring this miserable summer, I decided to dig out my old diary from 2018 and had a look at my personal weather observations from that amazing summer. 

Here are my observations, took from my own weather sensor, outdoor readings on the left, indoor readings on the right. Notice how it slowly deteriorates during August lol. September 2018 wasn’t too bad either, but was much much cooler than the summer itself.

Despite the almost continuous heat through July, I never actually reached 30°C, but I came very close on a couple of days. 

Hard to believe it was only 2 years ago. Feels like longer.

C769C87F-F660-4310-88B8-7211FDAFDA9B.jpeg

F62DC80E-12AE-4243-BFE9-523BF9855DCD.jpeg

84E6A1C3-55A3-4508-905F-8C69CC445E36.jpeg

843F81A7-7983-4C35-858E-91F7B755E322.jpeg

46972301-27D1-45EB-87B2-3C94263D9FAA.jpeg

992A7EF9-17D1-41E0-8DBE-D4CB2343A690.jpeg

59DFAC69-5ED2-4E6B-88E8-AC1F8F258A0C.jpeg

B5B146B1-D6F4-44E5-B014-EC8492FDDD97.jpeg

004D236F-BC83-4764-B3D6-A255F1167F4E.jpeg

6214229F-98C6-4526-9521-3852BD4E0EB2.jpeg

6CA77E87-7288-4A75-98E8-F19ABEFC56B3.jpeg

46D5F1DC-593C-4373-A8CA-D5A6BBCD922A.jpeg

5D96A29B-E00D-48F5-B5C3-FC3B99BF73B2.jpeg

5247BA3A-9CBF-481E-8A76-8B7D38C61D7C.jpeg

896F49A1-514C-4A7E-BEFB-69178B649181.jpeg

376AB158-17FC-4225-9352-636CC08C842F.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Temp this month still hasn't got above 20C at Manchester airport. And it only got to 19C here on Sunday on the same day. We do seem to be having these promising outlooks snatched away as we get closer to them. Never mind hot weather as it's not even been a good month for warmth so far. Only 2 weeks to go to rescue July & we're then into late Summer.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted

Cold and cloudy again, currently 13°C. Not much warmer than last January. Welcome to the North West of England, the land of permanent autumn. Should be renamed “Autumnville” or “Rainville” lol.

• Like 3

Posted
11 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Temp this month still hasn't got above 20C at Manchester airport. And it only got to 19C here on Sunday on the same day. We do seem to be having these promising outlooks snatched away as we get closer to them. Never mind hot weather as it's not even been a good month for warmth so far. Only 2 weeks to go to rescue July & we're then into late Summer.

Yes indeed. Mean max of 15.5°C here so far this month and around 100 mm of rain so far. Not too bad if you live in Lerwick. Unfortunately, we’re in NW England and so the max temp is a good 4 degrees below average. This is the worst summer for lack of sun and warmth. At least summer 2012 had a few warmer days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
6 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Cold and cloudy again, currently 13°C. Not much warmer than last January. Welcome to the North West of England, the land of permanent autumn. Should be renamed “Autumnville” or “Rainville” lol.

Maybe we should have Justin Hayward’s Forever Autumn as the North West’s regional anthem.

• Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Grim,again.

Is it November I'm close to putting light on in the kitchen ....at 3.40 pm.

...and the drizzle seems to persist all day in hilly northern mill towns.  So while the national forecast seemed dismissive as bits and pieces of light rain easing away to the south....here it was frequent heavy 'soak-to-the-bones' sheet-drizzle with temps mid-teens at best...yes it feels like we've fast forward to October/November.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

The weather so far this Summer (well certainly this month) in my opinion can be best described as 'nothingness'. It's as if it doesn't really exist its that dull and boring

• Like 3

Posted

The hills around Macclesfield have been covered in mist all day, this evening they are not even visible. This weather really shortens the days when we should be enjoying long daylight hours, l think it's around the 20th of this month that the lingering twilight starts to diminish and by the end of the month we are back to true darkness again. I agree with you all tis more like Autumn.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
35 minutes ago, dodge said:

...and the drizzle seems to persist all day in hilly northern mill towns.  So while the national forecast seemed dismissive as bits and pieces of light rain easing away to the south....here it was frequent heavy 'soak-to-the-bones' sheet-drizzle with temps mid-teens at best...yes it feels like we've fast forward to October/November.

Agreed, other than last weekend and a couple of afternoons, the month seems of have been day after day of constant low cloud and drizzle and a car thermometer that seems to be pretty much stuck on 13c.

July’s have a habit of being mixed up here but so far this one takes the biscuit.

• Like 4

Posted

I'll repeat my post from yesterday - more gloom and cloud today, woeful! Low heavy cloud most of the day making for a very dull feeling. I'm fed up of this!

• Like 3

Posted
8 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I'll repeat my post from yesterday - more gloom and cloud today, woeful! Low heavy cloud most of the day making for a very dull feeling. I'm fed up of this!

Never mind at least we’ve got a decent weekend coming up..........

oh wait, the forecast has changed now with yet another weather front coming south through the region on Friday and Saturday.

only light and patchy according the the BBC but no doubt it will cloak the hills with low cloud and give this part of the country another two days of drizzle.

even the farmers round here have been caught out with what should have been a mainly dry week turning into a drizzlefest, mowing winter feed that is now starting to rot in the fields.

Depressing.

• Like 2

Posted

This low cloud has proved so persistent! I thought we would have some sunny spells by now but nothing. 

• Like 1

Posted

Another grey and overcast day. Yawn. Most boring depressing climate on planet Earth.

Could be worse I suppose. At least it’s not raining...

• Like 1

Posted
19 hours ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

The weather so far this Summer (well certainly this month) in my opinion can be best described as 'nothingness'. It's as if it doesn't really exist its that dull and boring

Yes just feels like we’ve just completely bypassed the summer. This nothing weather is awful.

• Like 2

Posted

We didn't do too bad today, a half decent one. Cloudy morning, the sun did break through this afternoon to give some lengthy sunny spells. A pleasant evening. 

• Like 1

Posted

Outlook seems not particularly warm but not particularly cold. And not particularly dry and not particularly wet. And not particularly sunny and not particularly overcast!

• Like 1