Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
13 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Anyway Crewe and a couple of others think we're in for a much better Winter this year compared to the last 2 horror shows.

People say we’re going to get a cold winter every year though, and it rarely happens. 

• Like 2

Posted
13 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes and in February 2019 we got up to 18C towards the end of that month. A bit of an extreme example but we should be still chasing snow at that time of year not warm temps. Yet here we are in supposedly mid Summer struggling to get above 12 or 13C. It's like the seasons are completely messed up.

Yes it feels like we’re stuck in a permanent spring/autumn at the moment.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted

Raining... WoW.. Wasn’t expecting that...

Posted
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

People say we’re going to get a cold winter every year though, and it rarely happens. 

I hope we don't have another 'grimter'  endless mild, grey wet days, where the only snow I'll see is on the hills or on the the tops of cars.

• Like 2

Posted

Started off promising with blue skies and some sunshine, quickly deteriorated into yet again another gloom fest, moderate rain set in by early evening. Another drab July evening.

A very very very dull start to July with temps suppressed significantly. Apart from the shot of heat 24-25 June, the past 3 and half weeks have been very wet very dull and very cool.

• Like 2

Posted
54 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Started off promising with blue skies and some sunshine, quickly deteriorated into yet again another gloom fest, moderate rain set in by early evening. Another drab July evening.

A very very very dull start to July with temps suppressed significantly. Apart from the shot of heat 24-25 June, the past 3 and half weeks have been very wet very dull and very cool.

Not much difference from last winter which was also very wet, very dull and very mild. Like you I didn’t see any rain until mid evening, unlike further south where they had rain during the day. However very overcast and still cool with a max of about 15°C, seen warmer days in October. 

It’s just like constant autumn nowadays apart from the odd week or two, waste of time being a weather enthusiast in the north west.

Currently chucking it down and 12°C.

Posted

It rained a lot here overnight. Bright morning with a northwesterly breeze. 

Some showers are likely over the pennine areas tomorrow but dry for the rest of the region and then dry after that for quite a number of days.

Sadly the thunderstorm risk is close to zero.

Posted

Heavy rain last night on these western upslopes. Picked up 26.9 mm at 10 BST this morning, 9 July, for previous 25hrs. So far 125.4 mm rain this month. Juue total was 194.5 mm. Some summery warm drought would be welcome.

Edited by Rain Lady
typo -- for "previous 25hrs" read "previous 24hrs"
  • Like 1

Posted

Light drizzle again here. And after a 48 hour window of improvement, next week looks overcast too.

Posted

Another cold and cloudy day yesterday with some occasional drizzle, Max 13°C. Atrocious for July, had to put the heating on as I was freezing, a first in July for me. It’s as if we’ve just completely bypassed summer and gone straight to October.

Posted
19 hours ago, alr1970 said:

Light drizzle again here. And after a 48 hour window of improvement, next week looks overcast too.

At least the temperatures should be higher though. High teens forecast instead of the 13-15C temps we’ve endured this week!

Posted

Today is an improvement on yesterday - still cool, but partly cloudy and breezy. Last night was just like a cosy autumn evening watching telly with the lights on and the heating on, then snuggling up with the duvet in at night to get nice and warm. Getting serious autumn/winter vibes now. At least I’ve got steak pie and two chicken somasos in the fridge to look forward to, yummy.

I know it’s depressing but I’ve kind of come to terms with the fact that there will be no summer this year (well really, we already had it in April and May). Already thinking about autumn/winter again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

So far, this is the worst summer I can ever remember. Fits in nicely with the rest of this write off of a year really. 

never been less tanned in July in my life. 

• Like 2

Posted

Despite some decent sunny periods today, at long last! Temperatures still struggling, max of 17 degrees, indicative of the cool air aloft. Not had anything higher than 18 degrees so far this July, preety woeful, especially considering how we easily breached 18 degrees on many a day in April.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted

Mostly sunny here today but very chilly for July. It was a cold morning as well. Could see my own air. Windows steamed up at 6 am. Max 15.7°C.  A chilly NW wind. Like a day in April or September, not July.

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Despite some decent sunny periods today, at long last! Temperatures still struggling, max of 17 degrees, indicative of the cool air aloft. Not had anything higher than 18 degrees so far this July, preety woeful, especially considering how we easily breached 18 degrees on many a day in April.

Same here, and there is an outside chance we may not even reach 20°C this month given the way the better weather keeps getting downgraded/pushed back.

• Like 1

Posted

Despite it being a sunny evening the wind is deceivingly cold, my light summer jacket wasn't much protection against it walking home from work not so long ago, and I too have noticed my breath condensating at night and early morning. It is dire for July.  Hoping the clouds clear for some NLC and comet viewing tonight and in the early hours. 

• Like 2

Posted

Temperature hasn’t gone above 15°C at Stonyhurst, Lancashire during the last six days. Absolutely pathetic. For those that don’t know, it is one of three weather stations that make up the CET (Central England Temperature), not too far from where I live actually. Considering the CET mean is currently 15.3°C, the other two sites must have had considerably warmer temperatures.

Coldest spell of July weather I’ve ever known and the worst summer I’ve ever experienced (at least from a temperature/cloudiness perspective, though rainfall has been high as well yet again this summer).

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/99060.html

Posted
On 09/07/2020 at 13:54, Rain Lady said:

Heavy rain last night on these western upslopes. Picked up 26.9 mm at 10 BST this morning, 9 July, for previous 25hrs. So far 125.4 mm rain this month. Juue total was 194.5 mm. Some summery warm drought would be welcome.

We’ve always had plenty of rain, but I’ve noticed our summers seem to have got wetter in recent years. It’s not good.

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Temperature hasn’t gone above 15°C at Stonyhurst, Lancashire during the last six days. Absolutely pathetic. For those that don’t know, it is one of three weather stations that make up the CET (Central England Temperature), not too far from where I live actually. Considering the CET mean is currently 15.3°C, the other two sites must have had considerably warmer temperatures.

Coldest spell of July weather I’ve ever known and the worst summer I’ve ever experienced (at least from a temperature/cloudiness perspective, though rainfall has been high as well yet again this summer).

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/99060.html

I seem to recall that Sunday 11th July 1993 established some sort of record low July temperatures in the NW although I have no details. I was taking part in the annual Manchester to Blackpool cycle run that day and the weather was awful, with frequent showers adding to the cold. At least today we have some sun and it is dry. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
14 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

We’ve always had plenty of rain, but I’ve noticed our summers seem to have got wetter in recent years. It’s not good.

more low pressure, more Atlantic air, more southerly jet,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

A much better day ok there is cloud about but at least its dry and feels ok when the sun appears tomorrow looks like a repeat performance albeit a bit more sunshine on offer.

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, cheshire snow said:

A much better day ok there is cloud about but at least its dry and feels ok when the sun appears tomorrow looks like a repeat performance albeit a bit more sunshine on offer.

C.S

then Monday pants

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

then Monday pants

Indeed Mon-wed unsettled before the Azores high pushes back in for the weekend on the plus side only 6 weeks until my holidays were endless heat and sun is guaranteed

C.S