Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I think the weather over the next few days can be summed up in one word.......crap

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

The only silver lining to all the rain is the reservoirs really do need it after the extremely dry Spring.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Not been a bad couple of days here, cloudy yes but hardly any rain other than bits and pieces. We have a lot of shelter here from Wales in a W'ly or Sw'ly

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Forecast to reach the dizzy heights of 18°C tommorow here.

Posted

Cool, grey, cloudy but at least it’s dry, though that could change at any moment. 

Crikey, forecast looks really bad for at least the next 5 days,  temps consistently below 20°, plenty of rain or showers and not much sunshine. Gradually getting better towards the end of the 14 day forecast, but even then struggling to hit 20°.  Not had weather this bad for July since probably about 2012.  I fear Summer 2020 could well and truly be over. Feels like we’ve been plunged straight into autumn. 

• Like 1

Posted

And now it’s raining.  Getting serious summer 2012 vibes now.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
3 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Cool, grey, cloudy but at least it’s dry, though that could change at any moment. 

Crikey, forecast looks really bad for at least the next 5 days,  temps consistently below 20°, plenty of rain or showers and not much sunshine. Gradually getting better towards the end of the 14 day forecast, but even then struggling to hit 20°.  Not had weather this bad for July since probably about 2012.  I fear Summer 2020 could well and truly be over. Feels like we’ve been plunged straight into autumn. 

Yeah it’s not looking that good at the moment and certainly not what you’d want in mid summer although around here it’s not surprising.

Posted
8 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Yeah it’s not looking that good at the moment and certainly not what you’d want in mid summer although around here it’s not surprising.

Even for here it’s still bad though.  Sigh. Maybe I’ll move to the south one day. Haven’t left the house since Friday, cos of the weather. Dear god.

Posted

Turned into a half decent afternoon here. Currently sunny intervals and about 19°C. Nice to see the sun again after four days of miserable weather. ?

Posted

Another middling day, not as bad as recent ones, which have been woeful, Sunday belonged to November. Chunks of brightness but very cloudy and bits of showery rain at times. Another cool day under a chilly NW flow. Could be quite some time before we bring back the high summer feelings. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted

Passable benign summers day in early July.

Mostly cloudy before some late afternoon sunshine. Feeling quite pleasant in the sun with highs of 18°C, alough that's nothing spectacular for this time of year. Mostly cloudy evening and currently 13°C. No rain yet though it is forecast for tonight. Only a brief shower early afternoon. 

After Sundays out of the way it doesn't look too bad - at least from a rainfall perspective, sunny intervals and temps in the high teens - though that could change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
51 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Passable benign summers day in early July.

Mostly cloudy before some late afternoon sunshine. Feeling quite pleasant in the sun with highs of 18°C, alough that's nothing spectacular for this time of year. Mostly cloudy evening and currently 13°C. No rain yet though it is forecast for tonight. Only a brief shower early afternoon. 

After Sundays out of the way it doesn't look too bad - at least from a rainfall perspective, sunny intervals and temps in the high teens - though that could change.

Yes it could be a complete washout but isn't. Looks more benign to me. But for those looking for heatwave conditions I think the next 10-14 days could be challenging. Thankfully I'm not a huge fan of heat so this suits me fine as it just eats away at this month and we get gradually closer to the final Summer month and then Autumn. And anyway we're having normal Summer weather. Average temps, cloud & drizzle are the climatic norms in our region in July. Certainly not regular plumes of stifling hot air from Africa (although some deluded people on the mod thread think otherwise). Spain and the Sahara desert can keep it. 

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted

After a dry start it’s back to drizzle crap and low cloud again here.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, iand61 said:

After a dry start it’s back to drizzle crap and low cloud again here.

Yep, drizzly misery here too. Not very warm either.

Posted
13 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes it could be a complete washout but isn't. Looks more benign to me. But for those looking for heatwave conditions I think the next 10-14 days could be challenging. Thankfully I'm not a huge fan of heat so this suits me fine as it just eats away at this month and we get gradually closer to the final Summer month and then Autumn. And anyway we're having normal Summer weather. Average temps, cloud & drizzle are the climatic norms in our region in July. Certainly not regular plumes of stifling hot air from Africa (although some deluded people on the mod thread think otherwise). Spain and the Sahara desert can keep it. 

True, but the average temps for our region in July are about 19/20°C. At the moment it’s currently 12°C and patchy drizzle. I mean we get days like this in November. I don’t want a return to the Conditions we had last week, but I certainly don’t want mid teens temps and rain/drizzle all summer. 20-23°C and mostly dry with sun/clouds would be ideal.

• Like 1

Posted

After a cool and damp day, it feels nice to have a bit of sunshine now. I don’t mind having a cool July as long as there is plenty of sunshine and it’s mostly dry. 

Posted

Oh dear a poor day expected here. Heavy rain non-stop. Low cloud almost to the ground. Come back sunshine, notably absent last 7 days. Colder than average as well, has been the case for a week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

This is shaping up to be one of the worst summers I can ever remember. Yes, we had 3 hot days in June. But so what? It’s high summer. It’s windy and damp every day, it hasn’t stopped raining for weeks (other than the 3 day break) and even then, it rained on the third day. 

I feel like it’s really making up for the amazing spring. Starting to wonder if we will have a summer this year? Because let’s face it, August isn’t really summer, it doesn’t ever deliver and the days aren’t long enough. 

Posted

14 degrees currently and not expected to get any higher all day. Average max July is 20/21 degrees. Many a warmer day in October.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Another filthy grey damp rainy summers day here. At the moment it's that annoying fine drizzly rain that can get you soaked in minutes if you're not careful. Forecast temp no better than 15/16C. Absolutely dire for July. It's like Winter 19/20 all over again. Saturday and Sunday don't look much better either. This summer is turning out to be even worse than 2016 and 2017. At least they had sunny spells/warmer dry days between the rain bands.

Posted
3 hours ago, Backtrack said:

This is shaping up to be one of the worst summers I can ever remember. Yes, we had 3 hot days in June. But so what? It’s high summer. It’s windy and damp every day, it hasn’t stopped raining for weeks (other than the 3 day break) and even then, it rained on the third day. 

I feel like it’s really making up for the amazing spring. Starting to wonder if we will have a summer this year? Because let’s face it, August isn’t really summer, it doesn’t ever deliver and the days aren’t long enough. 

I remember the 2nd half of August 2016 and most of September 2016 were decent. Maybe we'll get something similar this year. One can only hope.

Posted

Summers here in recent years (from memory and personal opinion):

2012 - Terrible

2013 - Good

2014 - Good

2015 - Okay

2016 - Poor

2017 - Terrible

2018 - Good

2019 - Okay

2020 - So far - Terrible.

Posted
8 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Summers here in recent years (from memory and personal opinion):

2012 - Terrible

2013 - Good

2014 - Good

2015 - Okay

2016 - Poor

2017 - Terrible

2018 - Good

2019 - Okay

2020 - So far - Terrible.

I'd rank the summer so far as poor. A few decent days in June, last Wednesday and Thursday flash in a pan. Last 7 days terrible, diabolical.

Posted
11 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I'd rank the summer so far as poor. A few decent days in June, last Wednesday and Thursday flash in a pan. Last 7 days terrible, diabolical.

Yeah there's been a few nice days in June but not many. A lot of days have been unseasonably cool and cloudy and/or damp. Esspecially during the first 10 days or so of June. Then 3 days of intense heat, then the last week as you say has been absolutely diabolical, one of the worst summer periods I can ever remember. It's been a very poor summer so far, even by our standards. I've lost count of the number of times I've been able to see my breath outside, the air has been so cold and damp.

Thankfully not looking quite as bad next week, though temps still way below average for this time of year.

Posted

A yellow warning for wind has been issued by the Met office for Northwest England on Sunday. Could get pretty wild on western coasts.