Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards-Winter-Storms-Raging Seas-Thunderstorms

Perhaps i am watching the weather radar a little too much.Turned animation on lighter colours indicating lighter rain seems to be moving East across the Pennines but the heavier rain seems to be stuck not wanting to move across to the East.Of course i may need to go and lie in a darkened room for a while which is not difficult as  it is a dismal dark evening.But a raging wind blowing yet the heavier rain bearing clouds seem to want to stay put.Is there a wise one who can explain this or am i seeing things.

• Like 1

Posted

Good morning.

Monday morning on the Lancashire coastline.

Wet and windy.I was going to go for an early morning walk on the shoreline but have abandoned that idea.

Going back into hibernation for a day or so till this fearsome weather clears.

Well i hope it only takes a day or so can you imagine this kind of weather lasting longer.

I have heard or read somewhere that in the far distant future around July the 4th another spell of much warmer weather is to arrive.

Just in time for the pubs etc to open again,what a delight that will be.To be able to have a nice cool glass of the amber necter.

Anyone else planning for this historic event.

Ah well enough of that what is the weather doing in your neck of the woods.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
2 hours ago, Blowingsand said:

Good morning.

Wet and windy.I was going to go for an early morning walk on the shoreline but have abandoned that idea.

Well i hope it only takes a day or so can you imagine this kind of weather lasting longer.

I have heard or read somewhere that in the far distant future around July the 4th another spell of much warmer weather is to arrive.

Just in time for the pubs etc to open again,what a delight that will be.To be able to have a nice cool glass of the amber necter.

Absolutely vile over here in East Lancashire.

the rain isn’t that heavy at the moment but it’s been constant since yesterday afternoon with torrential showers before that and looking at the forecast we’ve got several more hours before it finally sods off to annoy another part of the country.

these conditions certainly aren’t unknown, especially up here in the hills but are awful all the same and just another segment of what has certainly been a strange years weather.

as for changes to lockdown and the pubs opening again; I think next weekend and the following days will be like New Years Eve so will leave it to settle down again before I venture into my local.

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, Blowingsand said:

Good morning.

I think I will join you in hibernation! But seriously, it seems we may need to get used to this changed weather pattern for a while yet. The latest I heard last night on the Beeb was that the cool showery weather would last until about Wednesday 8th July before starting to warm up again. I imagine there will be many politicians and senior officers in the emergency services who will be hoping that next weekend, the weather continues wet and cold as the pubs reopen and people start to unwind post-lockdown; and call me Victor Meldrew if you like, but I am hoping that they are right and the weekend passes off relatively peacefully. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 28/06/2020 at 09:51, damianslaw said:

Oh dear, what a poor start to the day, heavy rain, strong winds. Forecast is for this to stick all day, 4 inches on high ground. Max temp 12 degrees. November in late June.

June 2020 will end up being a very wet month here.

15 hours ago, Mountain Snow said:

My daughter woke me at 4:30 this morning, the rain was lashing the windows. Has barely stopped all day, not particularly heavy as only on 31mm since midnight. Wind has been relentless though, some branches off trees, temp hasn't been above 12*. Proper autumn storm in midsummer. 

No better than some of the days we had last winter! Always seems to be around 10 to 13°C when we have these wet and windy low pressure conditions, regardless of the time of year, with very little difference between day and night temperatures. You’d think we’d at least make it to the mid teens, what with it being nearly July now, the WARMEST month of the year, but nooooooo. 

Still blowing a gale and pouring down here. Cold too. Woke up freezing cold this morning so will have to go back to the duvet.  This has to be the worst period of 48 hour weather I have seen in summer for a very long time.

Welcome to the north-west of England, where we get about five days of summer and five days of winter, the rest of the time just cold autumn rain.  No amount of swear words could describe our climate at the moment.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Latest weather conditions and forecasts for the UK and the world. Includes up to 14-days of hourly forecast information, warnings, maps, and the latest editorial analysis and videos from the BBC...

Several flood warnings in Cumbria now.

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:
og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Latest weather conditions and forecasts for the UK and the world. Includes up to 14-days of hourly forecast information, warnings, maps, and the latest editorial analysis and videos from the BBC...

Several flood warnings in Cumbria now.

Hi.Another record goes as others have said-

210 mm that is over 8 inches of rain i believe-good heavens in 24 hours.

Just checked out Cumbria.

A mountain pass in the Lake District has broken the UK record for June rainfall.

Figures release by the Met Office today (June 29) show 210mm of rainfall was recorded in just 24 hours between 10am Sunday (June 28) until 10am today (June 29).

spacer.png
WWW.LANCS.LIVE

The amount is double the June national average and also the highest 24hr rainfall total recorded since Oct 2017.

Anyone live near the rivers of the North West how are they doing with all this rain.Have they risen a touch.

Just popped down to the Shoreline around the Cleveleys area for a touch of fresh air which i received full blast off the Irish Sea straight down the windpipe at about 35 mph.

Fully refreshed in about ten seconds.And a touch sandblasted into the bargain.

Weather-

Very cloudy but a few breaks appearing.Still a little windy.

Best go now i can go on a touch-Cumbria brought back memories of a short spell living and working in Millom many moons ago in a tannery which was situated there.Hard work,popped upto the office as i remember  after a couple of weeks and said any office jobs.Reply came no lad no jobs up here,well not till you lose a finger or two.

Bye

Edited by Blowingsand
  • Like 1

Posted

Thoroughly miserable wet day...the rain virtually non-stop from early morning has fed in to the hills in the south east of the region making it feel more like October instead of June.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

I’ve just put my heating on for an hour! You wouldn’t think it’s the end of flaming June brrr

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, dodge said:

Thoroughly miserable wet day...the rain virtually non-stop from early morning has fed in to the hills in the south east of the region making it feel more like October instead of June.  

Indeed a vile day. People in Winter coats out & about. You'd never think it was hot not so long ago. We do seem to having these extreme swings in weather lately. Never seems to be in-between. It's either one extreme or the other.

• Like 3

Posted

I totally agree about the extremes, I've unplugged my bedroom fan for the time being, and had my heating on for a short while today.  The plants outside look like they have done two rounds with A.J.

• Like 4

Posted

Oh dear another woeful day. Rain preety much all day, gusty wind, max temp 13 degrees. November continues. 

Not surprised Honister had over 8 inches if rain. It was torrential here. Rivers swollen but no flooding. The last week has been one of extremes.

• Like 1

Posted

Wow, I don't think anybody, even the Met Office, could have foreseen a record June 24 hour rainfall coming, even in a 'wet' location such as the Honister Pass. And not a summer thunderstorm or autumn / winter rainstorm either, which would have been more likely to produce rainfall of this scale. What is it with 28th June? Amazing!

Meanwhile, here in South Cheshire, the cold wind has dropped off completely from yesterday and the sun is trying to make an appearance, which seems to confirm that the low pressure which caused all the problems is moving away at last  

Edited by A Face like Thunder
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

After what seems like days of gloomy skies and rain, finally a bit of sunshine.

• Like 1

Posted

Still very cloudy here with a gentle to moderate westerly breeze and the temperature has reached the dizzy heights of around 15C. But at least it's dry... Better than yesterday is all that can be said about it!

Posted
10 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Regionally, it could be the wettest June since 2012.

I recall someone saying the synoptics back in May resembled that of those in 1995. It may have been during  May but this June has been nothing like that one of 1995. 

Even wetter than June last year? Surely not.

• Like 1

Posted

Weather Forecast for the next week looks very mediocre at best. Gentle to moderate westerly breezes, daytime temps around 16-18C with rain or showers at times. Looks to be improving after Saturday but temps still cool for the time of year. It's the 1st of July tomorrow for god's sake!

Posted

In other news...

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/winds-40mph-sends-trampoline-flying-18506737

Posted

For those of you using Microsoft Edge, highlight the text of one of the posts complaining about the weather, right click, click "read aloud selection" then go to "voice options" and select "Microsoft Mia Online (English - United Kingdom)" and then play it back.

Sounds like the most British thing ever!

Edited by East Lancs Rain