Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'

Although the central part of the storm has passed to my north, the light show has been amazing and the thunder has been boomong, still raining as well, can't imagine how bad it must be under the centre

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Anyone think that line of storms in the Midlands will make it up to us?

• Like 1

Posted

wow this has been epic, the rain and hail stones plus thunder and lightening been going on for some time. Best storm I have seen in the UK

• Like 3

Posted
42 minutes ago, karyo said:

The storm is developing like crazy! It reminds ne of a storm i experienced in Greece 5 years ago.

20200616_204004.jpg

We hit the jackpot my friend 

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

We hit the jackpot my friend 

Indeed! Amazing day and to think that it took till lunchtime for the low cloud to burn. It just shows how unstable the atmosphere is today.

• Like 2

Posted

Quite rare to have two days simultaneously that deliver almost carbon copy weather - static picture. A few showers sprang up exact same time, around 1pm, not thunder or lightning again, and once again we missed the heavier stuff. A generally overcast day thereafter with a few more light showers. All the thunder activity reserved further south yet again. Also look how east side of Pennines has been.

Is there some sort of convergence zone in the south of the region.

Showers seem to be banding and form in the same place over and over again.

• Like 1

Places like Liverpool etc must have had the longest string of days with thunderstorm in their history this week --- Every single time I log into the radar in the afternoon / early eve there has been a storm over Liverpool ...

• Like 2

Posted

Good riddance to the 2010s, and has the change in decade seen a change in fortune for storms? Well at least for some parts.

The last few days, there was nothing like this in the 2010s. One storm and that was it. This is more like the 1990s, recent days. 

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

Good riddance to the 2010s, and has the change in decade seen a change in fortune for storms? Well at least for some parts.

The last few days, there was nothing like this in the 2010s. One storm and that was it. This is more like the 1990s, recent days. 

And how were the 90s for snow 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

Yes it wasn't a great decade for them. I think it was around 2015 or thereabouts when we had a night of brilliant thunderstorms. Seemed to go on for a few hours well into the early hours, certainly was worth losing sleep over. But overall apart from that nothing else really stood out for severe thunderstorms. 

Posted

I wouldn't call it a storm here this evening, but it is very pleasant listening to the rain pattering on the leaves while thunder rumbles gently in the distance.

Edited by alr1970
  • Like 2

Posted

Are we expecting to see this convective line push northwards over us? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Just had the biggest thunderstorm here in East Lancs for quite a few years here. Frequent flashes and some very loud rumbles. A proper angry sounding storm. Torrential rain as well. Storm passes just to my east is that’s where the darkest clouds were, now brightening up looking towards the east.  Long overdue to get a storm like this. Hopefully the first of many to come this summer. We are long overdue a thundery summer.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted

The classic thunderstorm, is the Atlantic warm front approaching from the SW into hot air, crack snap bang and torrential downpours. A tell-tale sign is the sudden whirring of the wind, and drop in pressure, also a distinct calm, flowers close up, birds suddenly dive for cover... the current thunderstorms are convective, and the type that can bring flash floods very localised different to the frontal scenario. It's been a long time since we've had a proper thunder lightening display.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

The classic thunderstorm, is the Atlantic warm front approaching from the SW into hot air, crack snap bang and torrential downpours. A tell-tale sign is the sudden whirring of the wind, and drop in pressure, also a distinct calm, flowers close up, birds suddenly dive for cover... the current thunderstorms are convective, and the type that can bring flash floods very localised different to the frontal scenario. It's been a long time since we've had a proper thunder lightening display.

I remember the last major storm here was in September 2016 (around the middle of the month I think). That was the biggest storm I ever experienced. Constant flashes every 1-2 seconds, biblical rainfall and constant rumbles. It was like something out of a film.  I was caught out in it too which made it even more memorable. Power even went off for a few minutes.

It wasn't localised either as I remember a football game in Manchester had to be called off and I think there was reports of flash flooding in the region, so maybe that was a classic warm front thunderstorm that you mention.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Its as crap for thunderstorms here as it is for snow, totally diabolical uniteresting weather all the time.

Posted

Can still see the occasional flash to my west. No thunder though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I have a feeling we might just see one of those events this year

Posted
5 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I have a feeling we might just see one of those events this year

Well we certainly had some rain, thunder and lightning here in Crewe at 5.30pm last night, and it was interesting watching the clouds build up from the south or south west before the rain arrived. However, I've seen more spectacular in my 20 years in the town. Interesting point about the birds' reaction to an approaching storm. Our friendly pigeons certainly didn't seem phased by the torrential rain when it arrived, and 2-3 were lined up on our fence with their wings unfurled, whilst others made good use of our bird bath, although I have no idea why our bath is so popular when it rains hard as we always keep it topped up with fresh water anyway. I don't know what to make of this morning. Fairly cloudy but the sun is trying to break through and no sign of more rain. Forecast suggests that storms may stay further south today and tomorrow, although whether Crewe counts as N W Midlands or S NW for weather purposes, I don't know. We shall see. 

• Like 1