Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Summer 2020.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

These are a few of the best perturbations this evening

5_360_2mtmpmax.thumb.png.547ba27f8b0344fd6c5c88324af8f2f2.png   gens-2-0-324.thumb.png.128844e5ca89feb2d47c9cec070c913a.png   gens-6-0-384.thumb.png.4ae83f18b4d19b3fdcf0398cdc157b0c.png   gens-19-0-300.thumb.png.f5e8b34e52e5c06dc73704399a0fabae.png

Also something interesting:

One perturbation is showing extremely high uppers over N Africa, Spain and S Europe, with temperatures going off the scale in Spain.

Obviously an extremely low possibility of this coming off but I haven't seen uppers this high since last summer!

gens-17-0-384.thumb.png.e0d9f7d26e116f9a26b5551ac7645727.png

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 4

UKMO the bad guy this morning with a major trough heading towards the U.K. GFS dry settled and increasingly warm. ICON & GEM have also switched places with the former going for the settled route and the later now far more troughy. GFS ensembles backing the ops run and not interested in the trough option. FI effectively down to 96-120hrs currently. 

Posted
27 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Major difference between UKMO and GFS early on.

30F79E43-DAA4-418C-8652-6779FB57AEE3.thumb.gif.1e6a9378fa2e890eadb3040021f64a99.gifFD2714F1-56C8-4555-B68F-A269DAA0023E.thumb.png.bbff69815dbd4d77bab6fb7b550a3ff5.png

UKMO is a concern. I’m very sceptical about the warm up whilst it’s showing this.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

What a nightmare. UKMO is disaster stations if it comes off. GEM has gone that route today, whereas gfs and ecm have gone settled. Who’d want to forecast anything!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well what a ghastly ukmo this morning you would have to be a brave man to bet against it at t96 to be honest. Also the gem has gone the ukmo route this morning. I know the gfs and ecm are showing a better picture but I’d expect them to fall into line this evening towards the ukmo solution. How many times did the ukmo trump the other models during winter. 

• Like 1

ECM is on a knife edge, just as the trough is poised to strike pressure builds over Scandinavia to prevent it. So there a clear split UKMO & GEM verses GFS, ECM and ICON what a nightmare - I just flipped a coin, heads being trough, tails being warm! It came out tails so warm it is!! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, terrier said:

Well what a ghastly ukmo this morning you would have to be a brave man to bet against it at t96 to be honest. Also the gem has gone the ukmo route this morning. I know the gfs and ecm are showing a better picture but I’d expect them to fall into line this evening towards the ukmo solution. How many times did the ukmo trump the other models during winter. 

UKMO is not infallible though.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, terrier said:

Someone will be monumentally wrong...the gfs ensembles are almost 100% not dropping the trough down now.

image.thumb.png.710e3f5b838f44ff57471b48244b90a9.png

• Like 2

About time the ECM ops was backed up by its ensembles. If the op run is warm outlier I’ll be pretty concerned about the route we may up going down. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

In all honesty I think week two is definitely trending to a large anticyclone to our north east, the major difference is how quickly dry conditions return to the U.K. and the subsequent depth of low heights to our south. The UKMO obviously will take longer, but even the GEM develops a drier picture, especially in the north. Some impressively long fetch easterlies developing, very warm too unlike those during the winter.

image.png
ECM chart but you can see that easterly flow from Asia on most models.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
11 hours ago, LRD said:

Doesn't look any more threatening than the ECM op run did to be fair and look how that turned out.

But I agree that if that low behaves differently then it will result in very different, cool and wet charts

Well, I suspected that one Icelandic low could make all the difference. UKMO shows it heading over us (although I still think a day or two after their 144 chart, we'll still see it headed SW and the UK getting warmth anyway at about 192). GFS and ECM do not. And hugely different conditions result. depending on how one relatively small, innocuous-looking area of low pressure behaves

Interesting stuff at the moment

Edited by LRD

Posted

The UKMO run is not quite the disaster some are making it out to be- the trough would eventually drop down over the Bay of Biscay and pull in some very warm air. I imagine that chart for Thursday would be very wet for southern areas though beforehand.

The GFS and ECM reach a similar conclusion towards the end of the runs- both showing troughs to the west of Portugal, allowing very warm air to be dragged in off the continent.

Still a lot to be decided but I think we can safely say that there will be a warm up next week.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

No.

Never in December.

It's June?

prectypeuktopo.thumb.png.bb2df6c3d5f3606877c2c6a50ba81108.pngh500slp.thumb.png.7ae88e7561f9685136a4fc88b542b79f.png

We need the rain - all the fields looking a bit straw like.

Temps on the way back next weekend hopefully  - but I'm not looking that far.

Posted

1BAFF45B-EA7F-435B-B4E7-99E161B0E1C2.thumb.png.ed9966731def0aca176fb94b14f475af.pngDF66CBD0-47E1-448C-949B-5AE5E2C46729.thumb.png.c02fe3f3903e30cb62f1a35f1ba03401.png

ECM op is a bit generous again this morning and goes outside of the ensemble boundaries. Maybe we will eventually settle on a halfway house between this and the UKMO outcome?

29 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

1BAFF45B-EA7F-435B-B4E7-99E161B0E1C2.thumb.png.ed9966731def0aca176fb94b14f475af.pngDF66CBD0-47E1-448C-949B-5AE5E2C46729.thumb.png.c02fe3f3903e30cb62f1a35f1ba03401.png

ECM op is a bit generous again this morning and goes outside of the ensemble boundaries. Maybe we will eventually settle on a halfway house between this and the UKMO outcome?

The ECM Ops run has been very poor recently, the mean is not as good as GFS either and a there is going to be quite big camp of the ensembles going for a trough scenario. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Alderc said:

The ECM Ops run has been very poor recently, the mean is not as good as GFS either and a there is going to be quite big camp of the ensembles going for a trough scenario. 

The lowest 500Mb heights at day 6 on the ecm ensembles are around 552dam. The UKMO this morning gets down to 540dam at the same time, so is much more extreme than even the bottom ECM member. Either way, as @Alderc says, the large downward spike in the 500mb ensembles on the 11th shows there is some ensemble support for a trough of sorts in there.....as well as the more settled op route.

Edited by mb018538

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Thought I’d have a peep at how the charts are looking now, after a good week of nothing on the horizon at all.. 

Suddenly now, it’s like we’ve gone back to 2003!! A rare easterly full of Continental warmth and instability, with some runs transitioning it into a very slack and juicy Euro/Spanish plume. About time!!! 

• Like 6

Posted
50 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Not really sure that any would be like the UKMO at T120 or even T144 though looking at that.

Posted
2 minutes ago, MikeC53 said:

Not really sure that any would be like the UKMO at T120 or even T144 though looking at that.

The 144 hour pressure is around 1007mb on the ukmo - the lowest ecm ensemble members get down to that on the 11th too. Might be similar in a fashion!

Posted
16 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Thought I’d have a peep at how the charts are looking now, after a good week of nothing on the horizon at all.. 

Suddenly now, it’s like we’ve gone back to 2003!! A rare easterly full of Continental warmth and instability, with some runs transitioning it into a very slack and juicy Euro/Spanish plume. About time!!! 

Yes and two days ago we were going to be 'locked in' to a cool damp period extending to most of June ! (Not posted by you I hasten to add)

If ever there was a reason to stop jumping on individual runs at 10 days this is it !

• Like 3

Posted

Marked changes in the 500 mb charts from EC and GFS this morning. Quite different from what has gone before. NOAA doesnot shift from its idea on the 6-10 but does to some extent on its 8-14 so it is possible that the upper air pattern is about to start changing.

Charts below including the NOAA 8-14. We need a couple of days tosee how all 3 develop.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

Below the two NOAA charts, 6-10 on the left, I hope!

Well nearly, 6-10 first and 8-14 below

Edited by johnholmes
charts
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

The 144 hour pressure is around 1007mb on the ukmo - the lowest ecm ensemble members get down to that on the 11th too. Might be similar in a fashion!

Yes you're correct, the 12z runs will be interesting as the UKMO is clearly given a very low possibility by the ECM & GEFS.

• Like 1

Posted

Wow!!if ukmo trumps both gfs and ecm i really dunno what to say!!at only 120 hours as well!ukmo is not too bad to be fair anyway!!looks pretty delicious at 144 hours with the trough heading south and west and pressure building over!pretty wet 24 hours before that though!!ecm and gfs continue on their merry way to a heatwave?☀️

• Like 8