Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Summer 2020.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

UKMO at 144.

UW144-21.thumb.gif.bc5e4450fdb00ee65ccf23a0a7eaa225.gifUW144-7.thumb.gif.3056bb58b85ac70bb0e5665a6fbce643.gif

could be thundery from the south.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

hgt300.png hgt300.png

A south-westward adjustment of a hundred miles or so, but a slightly stronger low to compensate.

At least it will be a tad warmer Fri-Sat. Or at least, it should be - this is GFS after all!

It's an unusually moisture-laden airmass out to our southeast by this point. Sourced from the eastern Mediterranean, as far as I can make out. Hence all the rainfall in the modelling even when the lows aren't directly involved.

Worth bearing in mind, though, that GFS will tend to 'smooth out' convective features, resulting in a cloudier, less interesting look to the rainfall charts. ECM is not as prone to this but still can't rival a high-resolution shorter-range model like HIRLAM or ARPEGE... though even they still do a bit of smoothing.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

A good end to the 12z UKMO for convective lovers - storms possible on day 6

UW144-21.gif

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 7

Posted

UKMO looks very warm as we draw up SE winds at 144?

I can see the trough causing a few headaches for the models over the next few days though..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
Just now, Zak M said:

A good end to the 12z UKMO for convective lovers - storms possible on day 6.

Was just going to say - 12c uppers into east Anglia by then, and 8-10c widely. Humid.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

GFS 12Z op is good for Day 5 -- warm, humid and thundery weather incoming::yahoo:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

This GFS run is a bit of a rainmaker, certainly for the south out to 102 

image.thumb.png.d40732da2b59e95a344f0f231134c90e.png

Cumulative rainfall has increased vs its previous run also, with some fairly large totals now showing up by Friday morning, with Central Southern England seeing the most at this point.

image.thumb.png.ff4d9a08d5064adcd402039b08df096c.png

Yes two days of continuous heavy rain for here at least.

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

Was just going to say - 12c uppers into east Anglia by then, and 8-10c widely. Humid.

Warm,humid, thundery perhaps...

Continental-esq...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 minute ago, MikeC53 said:

Cornwall and Devon especially are looking at serious flooding on this run.

Could well be. Looks like the low wants to wander down to the SW of the UK, so they’d be in prime position for most exposure to the frontal rain.

Posted
Just now, mb018538 said:

Could well be. Looks like the low wants to wander down to the SW of the UK, so they’d be in prime position for most exposure to the frontal rain.

Hoping it ends up further west as per the thoughts of some on here.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

Day 7 and its still raining in the far SW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GFS T162:

image.thumb.jpg.8ded75ff07905cc6d8ab1b6fe4db37d3.jpg

The thing to watch I think on this run and the GEM and ECM to come is whether the low near us and the one south Greenland link.  This will allow the high to ridge from the Azores to Scandi albeit initially with an obstacle in the way, this was the evolution on that ECM parallel run I posted earlier, and I think it is the likely evolution, and will lead to hot but likely sporadically unsettled weather as we go forward.  Just my musings, of course. We will see...

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

UKMO at 144.

UW144-21.thumb.gif.bc5e4450fdb00ee65ccf23a0a7eaa225.gifUW144-7.thumb.gif.3056bb58b85ac70bb0e5665a6fbce643.gif

could be thundery from the south.

That would be a very interesting position. Except perhaps for the SW, the UK has got onto the right side of the trough for warm weather, and may have escaped any organized rain bands. It may well be a thunderstorm maker. Would like to see a few more charts of this! 

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, Steve Murr said:

Very pleased with UKMO day 6

+12c Isotherm arriving from the SE poss thundery however the evolution could pave the way for continental heat...

94E4C6A6-DAFC-48CF-B0AD-92937C1FA4DA.thumb.jpeg.008882a572c02369d87cf50d9b987667.jpeg

Very hot in Poland/Belarus/Western Russia on GFS!!

If the low stalls to our SW that heat could be heading here..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

That would be a very interesting position. Except perhaps for the SW, the UK has got onto the right side of the trough for warm weather, and may have escaped any organized rain bands. It may well be a thunderstorm maker. Would like to see a few more charts of this! 

It's a beauty of a chart for heat and storms but i suspect that it will be handled differently nearer the time,could be further west and we would have a true plume from the south,all good model watching at the moment.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

h850t850eu.png ukprec.png ukmaxtemp.png

This feels more like it to me. Trough retrogrades fully to the southwest with rainfall becoming much less widespread across the UK and temps becoming warm, then very warm.

The main thing that's changed is that there's no longer a peripheral low pressure development to the SE of the UK. As MWB noted earlier, this has been looking less of a given than the one to our southwest, based on ensemble guidance.

Question now is, can GFS sustain the retrograding trough theme? The models in general usually have a hard time doing that past about 6 days range - they have to overcome the inherent drift toward climatology.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 minute ago, MikeC53 said:

Really dreadful output tonight especially for my area and further South/SW. 

Misleading again mate.. Its delightful for the NW, and it's warming up... Yes its looking unsettled towards the SW but a lot can and will change with the movement of that Low.. I take it your from the South Midlands.. I don't think its a write off just yet.. The met have dry with sunny spells for the end of next week, and I'm only 40 or 50 miles North of you..

• Like 7

Posted

GFS is really warm mid term with mid 20s quite widely...

Plenty of rain for parts of the SW especially as the trough spins away in the bay of Biscay.

Hopefully some big storms on the way too.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
4 minutes ago, MikeC53 said:

Really dreadful output tonight especially for my area and further South/SW. 

Really isn't dreadful even for far S/SW , GFS precipitation charts will appear a lot worse than what it will actually be. ICON & UKMO both quite promising bar the Day 4-5 of a mixture of frontal rain and thunderstorms across Eastern parts. Temperatures at low-mid twenties, then an increasing improving picture as the week goes on. Bar the GFS of course, but its day 9 charts are useless.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, MATT☀️ said:

Misleading again mate.. Its delightful for the NW, and it's warming up... Yes its looking unsettled towards the SW but a lot can and will change with the movement of that Low.. I take it your from the South Midlands.. I don't think its a write off just yet.. The met have dry with sunny spells for the end of next week, and I'm only 40 or 50 miles North of you..

My area has seen dreadful summer flooding several times in the last 13 years and we are looking at that again if the GFS comes off. People are going on about storms but you won't have them if the low pressure centre is that close to us.