Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Summer 2020.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
43 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

I didn’t say I disagreed. It was the “curtain closer on summer” comment that I questioned. As have quite a few others.

The pattern gfs 12z shows is one that can get stuck in its rut as we've seen so many times before, even in Winter they stick like glue. Why I hate solar minimums everything is slow moving and its doomsday when things are in the wrong place. Isnt it La Nina season this summer? Not a good sign for August. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

The mean is keen to extend an High upon the sky.. ☀️

Edit... Dam Mike your to quick..

EDM1-168.gif

EDM1-192.gif

EDM1-216.gif

EDM1-240.gif

Edited by MATT☀️
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

The mean is just about ok still - but has definitely taken half a step backwards from last night, with a stronger high building in not quite as fancied. A lot will hinge on the development and phasing of the lows next weekend as to what transpires after. Might take a couple of days to really get it sorted.

I think its fair to say the jury is out on the 12z's. Certainly looks like after a poor week to come the Azores high will look to ridge into from the south west however how strongly that occurs is still very much open for debate. Seems like there's 2 main options. 

1. HP moves in, builds strongly and there's potential for a pretty decent warm up i.e. GEM and a decent number of the GFS ensembles and from what I can see a good bunch of the ECM ensembles. 

2.HP moves in, but can't maintain its position and regresses back westwards leaving it warm for a couple of days before low pressure dives down from the north or northwest this is what happens pretty much with the ECM & GFS Ops runs. Pretty sure if the UKMET model went out further it would also do this. 

Think it'll probably be a good 2-3 at minimum before this is sorted out, might take more than one attempt to get some settled in.

One thing is for sure and that is July has treated the south and south east very kindly in the past 7 summers starting 2013. Heathrow in that period is averaging 25.4C, even here in Bournemouth we are averaging 23.6C, which is what the  July max for Heathrow normally is. 

Edited by Guest

Posted
34 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

tonight's cpc 500mb height anomaly's show an improvement from day eight onward's with the Azore's/Atlantic hp cell encroaching from the SW.

610day_03.thumb.gif.28eb3e23a013a698169bcfdef171d9a2.gif814day_03.thumb.gif.8a1332ca6ae4511b4c21ce24103ba167.gif

tonight's cpc 500mb height anomaly's show an improvement from day eight onward's with the Azore's/Atlantic hp cell encroaching from the SW.

I don't follow you I am afraid. The signal if there is one is minimal, little more than a 30 DM +ve anomaly above the long term average.

It needs a good deal more than that before we can think in terms of any upper ridge developing and hence the surface ridge.

The main feature on 6-10 and 8-14 is of a westerly flow running into Europe including the UK?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
3 hours ago, General Cluster said:

I'm almost lost for words at this post... but one does spring to mind: nonsense!:oldlaugh:

i hope i'm wrong! and that we really don't start seeing the good things getting pushed back as this week progresses.. As for the GFS18z it looks much better than the 12z, at least for Central & South UK with the typical N/S divide syndrome in gear.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
5 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

Aaaannnnd.......the mighty NAVGEM

navgem-0-180.thumb.png.a0ebab5e13d74949eb7b1fe65e1ff127.png

also that would be great going forward

Oi Oi and you bring be ☀️ and joy .

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

A bit of a mixed bag from today's GFS 00Z... Not what I'd exactly called 'settled':

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

And a lot of scatter within the ensembles:

t850Suffolk.png    prmslSuffolk.png

t2mSuffolk.png    prcpSuffolk.png

NH profiles:

npsh500mean-006.png    npsh500mean-096.png

npsh500mean-240.png    npsh500mean-384.png

• Like 5

Posted

The more the settled weather keeps getting pushed back, the more you worry!

Initially it looked as though Sunday into Monday would see a change in fortunes. Then it was more Monday and maybe Tuesday....on today’s output it doesn’t arrive until Wednesday or Thursday. 

Posted

Let's hope the ECM is on the money in the extended with the Azores ridge pushing in. 

The Atlantic still the winner this week it would seem.

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Let's hope the ECM is on the money in the extended with the Azores ridge pushing in. 

The Atlantic still the winner this week it would seem.

The timing of any ridge still far from nailed down,or duration of the ridge.

The background 'drivers' probably not conducive to weeks of settled stuff, but hopefully a little more emphasis on ridges as we head into next week.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

This morning's ECM ensembles continue to steer in a direction of a N/S split between 5th and 10th July, with the south largely experiencing good weather occasionally interrupted by weak features, but the north experiencing changeable weather with the possibility of more settled weather pushing further north still within the spread.

EDM1-168.GIF?29-12  EDM1-216.GIF?29-12

With the Azores High always centred to the SW, no notable heatwave likely, but mid 20s at times for southern and eastern areas, just possibly a day or two in the higher 20s, which isn't actually that bad. The thing is, we've become so accustomed to extreme heatwaves in recent years that such temperatures appear cool! Not at all - it will probably be slightly above average for those south of the Scottish border.

Very poor weather over the next 10 days across the UK as Low Pressures and the Atlantic dominate. Well below average temperatures this week and next week in North Wales with plenty of overcast skies and intermittent rain. Almost zero sunshine this week. image.thumb.png.1d5542bc6716e1fc0d7349b5e3480132.pngSome hope at +384 hours for a weak ridge. 

Edited by NApplewhite
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
12 hours ago, johnholmes said:

I don't follow you I am afraid. The signal if there is one is minimal, little more than a 30 DM +ve anomaly above the long term average.

It needs a good deal more than that before we can think in terms of any upper ridge developing and hence the surface ridge.

The main feature on 6-10 and 8-14 is of a westerly flow running into Europe including the UK?

But wouldnt that be enough to suggest a slight improvement above the average? so less precip, more sun/brightness , a n/s bias, reasonably pleasant but unsettled ?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

The 'big three' at 144 show reasonable agreement between UKMO and ECM, with the GFS making more of the low pressure to the north east of Scotland. 

image.thumb.png.fcb690a826bb393e44bc944cccb2f367.pngimage.thumb.png.311df2f92f0cc645acc28ee94cf903d7.pngimage.thumb.png.6fbf5d553ae893fee2a3002d498dc16e.png  

That said, the ECM doesn't go on to produce a particularly good run for days 7-10, we're still seeing the Azores trying to push in but does't become established, it all seems a bit mobile at the moment (the Parallel is not dissimilar).  So for the next week it's very much business as usual with the south seeing more in the way of warm and settled weather.  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 hour ago, NApplewhite said:

Very poor weather over the next 10 days across the UK as Low Pressures and the Atlantic dominate. Well below average temperatures this week and next week in North Wales with plenty of overcast skies and intermittent rain. Almost zero sunshine this week. image.thumb.png.1d5542bc6716e1fc0d7349b5e3480132.pngSome hope at +384 hours for a weak ridge. 

I'm not sure how you can nail such detail for a 2 week period. Intermittent rain and zeroe sunshine over a 2 week period and perhaps a weak ridge at day 15! You must have access to some better models than me. I'm fairness I'm seeing gradual improvement as early as next Monday. Slowly but surely a ridge building into the SW. 

EDM1-144.gif

EDM1-168 (1).gif

EDM1-240 (1).gif

Edited by MATT☀️
  • Like 9

Posted
40 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

But wouldnt that be enough to suggest a slight improvement above the average? so less precip, more sun/brightness , a n/s bias, reasonably pleasant but unsettled ?

I think it was to do with the apparent emphasis of improvement that I felt a bit overdone. As always it is the interpretation of charts which can give differing views. I remain a touch sceptical other than as you suggest a 'slight' lessening of the current weather of this week. I want to see a more solid agreement of all 3, especially NOAA, for some real build of heights from the south.

Just my take on things, you and others may be nearer the mark in your current optimism.

Latest EC-GFS this morning and the NOAA version from last evening are below

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

• Like 1

Posted

Sadly the clusters are also less bullish today.

CA00ACAC-162B-4136-BE46-69D570B29C08.thumb.png.db73a381d40a39c1f55213aa6eb30ce3.png

Most keep things fairly westerly, with the odd ridge coming through to settle things down. Better in the S/E.

EB0A4106-0430-46D9-A644-85C64B585E03.thumb.png.adf409bdbd5dec9691396be5602f9822.png

With positive anomalies close by, some better days will no doubt arise. But I think the big anticyclone we were teased with for a couple of days into the start of next week is becoming more fanciful.
As @johnholmes has said, the NOAA 500mb plots are flat and don’t have any ridge near the UK, so a big rise in pressure doesn’t look likely at this stage.....though this doesn’t rule out some fine weather at times.

• Like 1