Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Summer 2020.

Posted

Many thanks for that MWB, very interesting to read and also pretty helpful

• Like 1

What a woeful ten days being forecast with nearly all coastal areas approaching gale force winds for the foreseeable!

Utterly disappointing for mid summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

GFS 6z looks like standard mixed weather up to the middle of July. Rainy days from time to time mixed with some dryer interludes. No big heat or toasty 850s coming our way for the foreseeable. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
8 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

GFS 6z looks like standard mixed weather up to the middle of July. Rainy days from time to time mixed with some dryer interludes. No big heat or toasty 850s coming our way for the foreseeable. 

The more settled conditions seem to have been put back a few days, perhaps towards the backend of next week we see the real improvements.. This backed up by the latest Exeter update also and still a fair amount of fine conditions are being called for July... Always a concern for some when nice conditions get put further back! But I myself are not to concerned about it.. If it was a winter yes.. When cold snaps being put back seem to always mean one thing and one thing only.. Buy at least with Summers we can literally be guaranteed fine and hot conditions at some stages during the Summer, even when seasonal conditions are only remotely average. 

The 6Z mean does highlight the change to more settled conditions during the 2nd week of the new month.. So i feel its never so much of a... If it can go wrong... It will go wrong.... Not in Summer anyway. We just need to ride the next 10 day's out.. No real dramas. 

gens-21-1-204.png

gens-21-1-216.png

gens-21-1-240.png

gens-21-1-264.png

gens-21-1-288.png

gens-21-1-312.png

• Like 8

1 minute ago, 38.7°C said:

Some interesting weather being hinted at from mid July with an Azores / Scandi link up. One to keep an eye on but I remain sceptical 

scndi 2.JPG

heat 1.JPG

Would be very interesting to see this sort of thing come off as I believe it goes the grain with it comes to La Nina? 

But wrt to the pressure rises next week I think I mentioned last night they rarely come at the first attempt when modelled so it could well be that we have to wait until the second tercile of the month to get any real improve. If so down here that would make it pretty poor first half of summer, only 4 days above 25C along with a 3weeks unsettled interlude followed by a 2week unsettled interlude. Still that could all change and we could still end up a great August with has been absent for nearly 20years now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well I'd be lying if I said the GFS 12Z's latest prediction for Sunday isn't a bit meh!:oldlaugh:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

79298B73-74CA-4290-8D6C-963AE361D325.thumb.png.0bdbf76b4b101a9345bfe733792281c7.png

A slight tweak and the UKMO is nice on Sunday. Fine margins!

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, 38.7°C said:

Some interesting weather being hinted at from mid July with an Azores / Scandi link up. One to keep an eye on but I remain sceptical 

scndi 2.JPG

heat 1.JPG

This is an oddity to me - I don’t see any evidence for a stonking UK-Scandi high setting up towards mid month. Neither do the ECM ensembles. Will watch carefully!

• Like 1

Posted

Sundy 12 looks mighty 'interesting'...I do, however, expect (or rather hope!) that the GFS 12Z is 'pushing the envelope' in the wrong direction... Lots of scatter in the ens?:unsure2:

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Sundy 12 looks mighty 'interesting'...I do, however, expect (or rather hope!) that the GFS 12Z is 'pushing the envelope' in the wrong direction... Lots of scatter in the ens?:unsure2:

Its an awful, awful chart. Just look where the Jet is 

GFSOPEU12_300_21.png

Ugh the GFS ensembles make grim reading post the 6th July.....A run for the bin.....The Ops is something of an outlier towards the weekend of the 11th/12th however there is worse.....

gfs-bournemouth-gb-505n 2906.jpeg

Posted

All that incredible weather during the full lockdown and how predictable was it being so bad once everything begins to open up!

We’re into a pattern where even the better days are iffy, like in West Wiltshire today with a strong wind, minimal sunshine and drizzly showers.

Posted

Well, I have seens many ensembles worse than these GEFS 12Zs...T850s drop from 11 to around 5C, so not really as catastrophic as I'd first feared:

t850Suffolk.png    prmslSuffolk.png

t2mSuffolk.png    prcpSuffolk.png

In fact, having had time to reflect, I reckon things are not looking nearly as potentially gruesome, as they did at the start of June...?:oldgood:

NH profiles:

npsh500mean-006.png    npsh500mean-096.png

npsh500mean-240.png    npsh500mean-384.png

Is that a menagerie of cartoon animals I see circling around the Pole!:help:

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

12z ECM @144 does show something warmer, mainly for southern areas but it doesn't last for long.

I would happily take this though...

ECM1-144.thumb.gif.7b6d6610f5d5d9b741ad3c902355e6ef.gif   ECM0-144.thumb.gif.b7aa67af28eb0a314f9832121eecb2b1.gif

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 4

Posted

Apart from a brief nice day in the south, ECM is pretty foul. Hoping to God it’s an outlier. You just can’t keep on getting unlucky, surely? Somehow, it parks a trough over us?

Not writing summer off, but this promised AAM is having little impact on settling our weather down.

Edited by Djdazzle
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Apart from a brief nice day in the south, ECM is pretty foul. Hoping to God it’s an outlier. You just can’t keep on getting unlucky, surely? Somehow, it parks a trough over us?

Not writing summer off, but this promised AAM is having little impact on settling our weather down.

Not the greatest EC det,i agree.

Clusters will reveal more.

Posted

The fact is, we need some oomph from the Azores high. Maybe this will happen as we move towards mid July and August. I have a feeling that this summer will almost be the opposite of what some have been expecting I.e. front loaded.

Posted

Apparently the EC46 today is in sync with the CFS and shows strong scandi/UK heights setting up towards mid July....doesn’t look like it at the moment, but keep an eye out!

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, mb018538 said:

Apparently the EC46 today is in sync with the CFS and shows strong scandi/UK heights setting up towards mid July....doesn’t look like it at the moment, but keep an eye out!

CFS - now we are doomed!

• Like 2