Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Summer 2020.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
8 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

ECM rainfall down from previous runs but still quite wet for most, 60-70mm for the 10 period is the max over southern / central areas. 

Still quite wet, but I suspect going by the run much of that would be thundery rather than frontal, so harder to predict? Doesn’t look as ‘washout’ as earlier runs?

• Like 4

Posted

Apologies if a bit off topic but anyone seen the ECM getting a upgrade at the end of the month and also the GFSv16 in 2021? Just noticed it on meteociel?

• Like 2

Posted

9942BC19-29E1-4784-9947-791084C647CD.thumb.png.6b7eb24b9abdce499e16a1f035b293bc.png71A267C0-64B5-4B3A-93C3-75C73EB31961.thumb.png.0b0e7749e5e4c5bfb42fec378371340f.png

Nice to see an ecm op run fit a bit closer to the mean. As it wasn’t a bad run, I think we’d all accept that as an outcome.

After a few more cooler days, significantly warmer towards the end of next week:

CA53D1CE-92E0-4CEE-8585-2DDC56EBE67B.thumb.png.119065232bbb72f2e45ff325ca06ef2f.png

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, TomW said:

Apologies if a bit off topic but anyone seen the ECM getting a upgrade at the end of the month and also the GFSv16 in 2021? Just noticed it on meteociel?

Yep, it’s moving to 137 levels. ??

Edited by Guest

Posted

I mentioned Poland and Belarus previously, if we do tap into an easterly feed the temps by next weekend in warsaw will be +31/32 degrees im pretty sure thats well above average for mid June..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

I mentioned Poland and Belarus previously, if we do tap into an easterly feed the temps by next weekend in warsaw will be +31/32 degrees im pretty sure thats well above average for mid June..

I wonder what the UK record temp was from an easterly?

The latest from cpc puts the trough well out of arms reach down towards NW Spain/Portugal,Scandi hp cell still firmly fixed and a continued risk of some good convective imports.

610day_03.thumb.gif.f27507e34578d08cc96e4e80ba05375a.gif814day_03.thumb.gif.d957ecb77751a0cd0d87e06522daa736.gif

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

I wonder what the UK record temp was from an easterly?

The latest from cpc puts the trough well out of arms reach down towards NW Spain/Portugal,Scandi hp cell still firmly fixed and a continued risk of some good convective imports.

610day_03.thumb.gif.f27507e34578d08cc96e4e80ba05375a.gif814day_03.thumb.gif.d957ecb77751a0cd0d87e06522daa736.gif

I’m sure the 1990 early August heatwave was easterly sourced, probably ESE direction, which achieved 37.1C.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

I’m sure the 1990 early August heatwave was easterly sourced, probably ESE direction, which achieved 37.1C.

Hmm, I wonder what sort of temperatures we will be achieving from heatwaves another 30 years from now?!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
11 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Wasn't that S'ly influenced hence the hottest temps being confined to Western England? Bristol & Somerset up through Cheltenham, Birmingham and Western parts, Crewe & Chester were mid 30Cs?? 

Posted

Ghastly 18z run for midlands and southern england in terms of rainfall!!the low ends up in the channel and northern france but just ends up staying there for the next 3 days!i dont believe the gfs what so ever anymore but it just shows what could happen if it did turn out like this!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm

Yes 18z gfs is a shocker for warm settled weather. But looks an outlier in the ensemble pack. Can't really trust it lately anyway so doesn't mean much. Just hoping it's not a complete wash out next week. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm
1 hour ago, sheikhy said:

Ghastly 18z run for midlands and southern england in terms of rainfall!!the low ends up in the channel and northern france but just ends up staying there for the next 3 days!i dont believe the gfs what so ever anymore but it just shows what could happen if it did turn out like this!!

Can't trust GFS after last few days. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Here in the model thread, I try to post as much positive things as possible, and when there is a bad GFS run, I'll head to the ensembles as there should be at least one positive perturbation, that being p12!

gens-12-1-216.thumb.png.b36f58155d8337002c79e6db01543555.png   gens-12-0-348.thumb.png.b87f83ab9d74ac3200d17c78b7495c89.png

• Like 8

Very messy picture this morning GEM struggles to keep the U.K. under the influence of a easterly for long and favours renewed troughing digging down over the U.K, it think the UKMO would be similar if it went out a little further. GFS more promising though the easterly is pretty weak and there a large spread on the ensembles. ECM just coming out and seems to be the most promising of them all currently to 144hrs although the trough is hanging around in the south, could be a wet run south of the M4. 

Posted

So on the morning 00Zs, the trough arrives anywhere from the Alps to Biscay by D6. 

I detect that the trough has slightly declined in strength though - it's really quite small now. 

ECM T168 — the warmer air is now pushing into the UK and the trough is mainly limited to SW parts. 

ECM0-168.GIF?07-12

ECM1-168.GIF?07-12

• Like 5

Posted

903EA16B-3A57-409D-BFC4-0EF3079701B6.thumb.png.6679d85db47fad3627ba4637184b2dca.png42B6B3BD-F06F-46DF-84B5-30EF115AB84E.thumb.png.07a841f1df1344520b0989e0b9c26f3e.png

Warm and thundery on the ECM at day 8 ??

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 hours ago, Don said:

Hmm, I wonder what sort of temperatures we will be achieving from heatwaves another 30 years from now?!

and January northerlies (if they still exist by then) 12 degrees

ECM again turns very messy with troughing remaining nearby as the U.K. again ends up in no mans land. The Scandinavian high doesn’t influence us such as some previous runs with it only really benefiting the far north east of the country. Again high precip totals anywhere south of Manchester with many seeing 40-90mm+.Maybe only on day then does the pattern look more promising? 

Edited by Guest

Posted

Gfs finally finds an op run which makes sense when checked against general guidance from the other nwp.  given the uncertainties of a euro trough and scandi high combo, I would be relaxed using that 00z op for a general backdrop next couple weeks (although broad brushstrokes required) 

• Like 6

Posted
43 minutes ago, Alderc said:

ECM again turns very messy with troughing remaining nearby as the U.K. again ends up in no mans land. The Scandinavian high doesn’t influence us such as some previous runs with it only really benefiting the far north east of the country. Again high precip totals anywhere south of Manchester with many seeing 40-90mm+.Maybe only on day then does the pattern look more promising? 

At least the initial trough sinks through quicker on all the runs this morning, but as you say still the potential for big rainfall totals for the South.

• Like 2