Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Summer 2020.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Looks good. Troughs can be your friend at times! Could be a very thundery and warm few days if the 12z came to fruition.

• Like 2

High risk high reward type scenario being modelled..large bank of warmer than avg air to our east/southeast...perhaps some intense model watching over the days ahead. Not something that can really be picked up on via just looking at background signals, as a small scale difference of just a few hundred miles in this case could easily prove the difference between persistent rain and suppressed daytime temps v sunshine, high twenties and tropical pm SB storms

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Good GEM so far. T150:

image.thumb.jpg.65c7513b4d079eaf8af8519fe15cc4fc.jpg

And this model has been quite consistent recently unlike most others, will be interested to see if it resists the push for a trough to come from the NNW to split the HPs, and even if it does, whether it is too far into FI to actually care?

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Good lord it takes the GEM years to run, but my god.. Its worth the wait again.. That's 3 consecutive runs its been fab.. All the models now I feel are slowly improving, but still a little stand off going on, hopefully this soon to be sorted. That's me signing of folks for today, it's only week 1 of summer and already I'm suffering PMF... POST MODEL FATIGUE enjoy your evenings and keep safe... Stay alert.. ☀️

gem-0-102.png

gem-0-120.png

gem-0-144.png

gem-0-168.png

gem-0-192.png

giphy (3).gif

Edited by MATT☀️
  • Like 9

Posted

Answer is yes it does resist any trough from Iceland,  looks another cracker this, GEM T210:

image.thumb.jpg.db80bd5021cc8f3a002d0f0a443b031f.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

This may not be good news, however...:

Ben Noll

@BenNollWeather

Anomalous upper level convergence across the tropical Pacific suggests the atmosphere will continue to head in the direction of La Niña over the next month... An interesting pattern for when African easterly wave season begins

AIUI, a low AAM is not good news for good summer weather here (need to learn why!)

Will wait to see what Tamara and co come up with as they know far more than I about the teleconnections. Not really paying any attention to what the models say more than 4-5 days out, as IMHO it's just noise until the background signals become clearer.

Edited by Uncle_Barty
  • Like 1

What an odd set of output, its a bit lucky dip tonight isn't it.

Starting of with the UKMO, its pretty ugly and looks like a slow moving trough will be parked over the UK for several days by D6.

ICON not too dissimilar, and to be fair its been pretty consistent in its output however towards the end looks like its going for the over-arching high pressure link up, the trough doesn't look kindly slumping down over the UK

GFS, expected it to be a massive outlier, surprisingly its not and seems pretty promising - although I suspect depending on locations it is wetter outlier precip due to its usual over modelling of moisture and associated convective breaks, dew points of 18/19C seem optimistic .

All eyes on the ECM.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Well i think most of the gefs ens went to church this afternoon and are singing from the same hymn sheet including the op⛪

graphe3_1000_265_28___.thumb.png.e40d6bffd27f369862239747a684bf24.png

Edited by Allseasons-si
added info.
  • Like 8

Posted

Mixed bag again this evening....

I would put money on EC following the UK model this evening.

I prefer GFS but its rare GFS trumps UKMO in a stand off.

• Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Well the gfs is miles better than the 06z if it's warmth and thunderstorms you are after....like me

gfs-0-240.thumb.png.cd061dbce564754d936ac1b933798f3d.pnggfs-1-240.thumb.png.f7a0197a9f5dd3587ed05bbaf8b196de.pnggfs-12-240.thumb.png.98d5073743c38b50de51b44a8db0e6dd.pnggfs-11-240.thumb.png.a8c44ea01ae84fbb5f1670c3ecb6b9d7.png

just need them to drift off the near continent:clapping:

day ten i know so no pressure;)

I'm just enjoying the GFS 12Z for the synoptics, after D8 that is. SW trough boxed in by heights on all sides, close enough for instability, far enough away to allow the heat to the UK. Straight line continental draw for a whole week, daytime temperatures approaching 30C, evening thunderstorms, then same again! 

• Like 9

Posted

ICON was the slowest model to pick up on this week’s low. Wouldn’t put too much faith in it. I’d rather UKMO was on board though.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I'm just enjoying the GFS 12Z for the synoptics, after D8 that is. SW trough boxed in by heights on all sides, close enough for instability, far enough away to allow the heat to the UK. Straight line continental draw for a whole week, daytime temperatures approaching 30C, evening thunderstorms, then same again! 

Perfect then

please everyone "DO NOT TELL ANYONE"

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, Uncle_Barty said:

This may not be good news, however...:

Ben Noll

@BenNollWeather

Anomalous upper level convergence across the tropical Pacific suggests the atmosphere will continue to head in the direction of La Niña over the next month... An interesting pattern for when African easterly wave season begins

AIUI, a low AAM is not good news for good summer weather here (need to learn why!)

Will wait to see what Tamara and co come up with as they know far more than I about the teleconnections. Not really paying any attention to what the models say more than 4-5 days out, as IMHO it's just noise until the background signals become clearer.

As I understand it La Niña does put a downward pressure on AAM, but it is not the only factor, by any means, that drives it; one might expect it to have a greater impact as summer progresses, but I can't see it being the overriding issue for June, or indeed most of July.  The models have some uncertainty about how quickly we might head towards La Niña, anyway.

• Like 2

Posted

GEM finishes with this at day ten...

gem-0-240.thumb.png.f950ea7235cbf75cda42099c95ee6260.pnggem-1-240.thumb.png.d3a96f5abf57e84b892a1e97c391d726.png

i will drink to that.

185469520_giphy(1).thumb.gif.bd831c507286bb0509914516c54193fd.gif

• Like 8

Posted
10 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Oh don’t say that.....better get the Valium at the ready in the moans thread! Seems to keep cropping up mid month. It’s consistent if anything.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

As I understand it La Niña does put a downward pressure on AAM, but it is not the only factor, by any means, that drives it; one might expect it to have a greater impact as summer progresses, but I can't see it being the overriding issue for June, or indeed most of July.  The models have some uncertainty about how quickly we might head towards La Niña, anyway.

According to the contingency forecasters plan from the Met, La Nina was seen as having little baring on this summers weather Mike, personally I feel it as more input with the Winter conditions... Even then it can be sketchy. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, MATT☀️ said:

According to the contingency forecasters plan from the Met, La Nina was seen as having little baring on this summers weather Mike, personally I feel it as more input with the Winter conditions... Even then it can be sketchy. 

The winter signals are quite clear though Matt

la Nina, el Nino, low sea ice, eqbo, wqbo, mjo.....they all mean a mild winter. Job done!

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, MATT☀️ said:

Yes, it did Matt, but there is some uncertainty in the models and I was thinking it could be a contributing factor to a poorer end to summer, we will see....I did acknowledge uncertainty about this in my summer forecast post a few days ago.

• Like 1

ECM only out to T120 and its very similar to UKMO (could even be slightly more progressive) with the dual lows to the north and them not merging like GFS - Not sure I want to see the rest of the run, suspect its going to be troughsville - destination UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Nice to see a 'warming' ensemble, with almost all its members in unison::clapping:

t850Bedfordshire.png    prmslBedfordshire.png

t2mBedfordshire.png    prcpBedfordshire.png

image.thumb.png.3e3dfae51cf2abc2bad8a8e0efbcbca3.png

• Like 7

Posted
4 minutes ago, Alderc said:

ECM only out to T120 and its very similar to UKMO (could even be slightly more progressive) with the dual lows to the north and them not merging like GFS - Not sure I want to see the rest of the run, suspect its going to be troughsville - destination UK

You were saying mate?? Its best to follow a run throughout before making a final decision. 

ECM1-144.gif

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Better than ukmo at 144 hours and is exactly like this mornings 00z run!!!so far its right between the gfs and ukmo!!i take that as a positive!!lets see what the 168 hours shows!!

• Like 4