Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sunny76

Posted

Do you remember it? And what are the weather memories that stand out in this year?

I only remember the hot and sunny weather from the school holidays. We spent a week down in the Isle of Wight in August that year, and almost every day was hot and sunny. 

I don’t remember the winters either side, and can’t remember much about the spring, apart from some warm days in May, and cold wet days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

One of my favourite years,the year I left school.

Friday 13th January we had a storm that caused a lot of damage in this area

Around the 3rd week of Jan we had a huge snowfall blocking all the lanes,this winter wasn't the coldest but was cold nonetheless and had plenty of snow events.

April was exceptionally dry and followed throughout the summer to give severe drought conditions in this area.

Summer was hot throughout,similar to the previous of 1983 and that of 1989.

There were thunderstorms about I remember one early in July where we worked on the farm getting in the hay and it was torrential just as we got our last trailer into the barn,it could even have been the same evening that York Minster famously caught fire which Iam sure was put down as lightening.

Summer really was one to remember,all the fields going brown,it was hot in June when John McEnroe won Wimbledon and probably the best August I remember.I worked on many farms that summer helping with the hay in June,July and well into August.

The rest of the year wasn't anything out of the ordinary ,a typical Autumn and end to the year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

summer was very warm and thundery for me not as hot as 1983 by any stretch but similar to 1989 but again not quite as hot..the following winter 84-85 was very cold and relatively snowy winter (esp Jan and Feb)

Posted

Our camp in Kent over the Spring Bank Holiday was a rain-ruined disaster from start to finish, as noted under a separate thread. Conversely, we enjoyed ten dry and mainly sunny days camping in North Yorkshire near Whitby towards the end of July.   

Posted

Only vague memories of the summer, remember it being very good indeed, dry sunny and warm. Photos of brown grass - hard to achieve in the Lake District. Don't remember the winter, just a bit too young 5 years old, I believe it gave alot of snow in January, significant falls here. 

Posted

Came back from Australia late July 1984. Remember the Los Angeles Olympics was just about to start. August was a warm one, the second half  was hot. The August Bank Holiday was sunny and very warm. I recall two consecutive  evenings where they were thunderstorms, I think that was early August.

Do recall heavy showers with thunder during autumn 1984 on a few occasions and there was a really wet day on the Friday of autumn half term, I think it was the first Friday of November. It was a washout. Bonfire night was dry and calm. 

December hasn't stuck in my head, remember Christmas Day but oddly not the weather that day. 

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
16 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Came back from Australia late July 1984. Remember the Los Angeles Olympics was just about to start. August was a warm one, the second half  was hot. The August Bank Holiday was sunny and very warm. I recall two consecutive  evenings where they were thunderstorms, I think that was early August.

Do recall heavy showers with thunder during autumn 1984 on a few occasions and there was a really wet day on the Friday of autumn half term, I think it was the first Friday of November. It was a washout. Bonfire night was dry and calm. 

December hasn't stuck in my head, remember Christmas Day but oddly not the weather that day. 

December was fairly mild. There was a bit of a wintry flavour to things at Christmas. A marked swing to very cold weather set in at New Year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Remember the Summer very well. It was just warm and then hot

Family holiday to Conwy and Snowdonia and it was glorious the whole time. Not a scrap of rain, loads of mountain walking.