Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 sunnier than all but three summers

Posted
On 06/06/2020 at 11:13, Scorcher said:

Definitely with you on wanting a great August- even the good summers of recent times haven't tended to have great Augusts.

We had that hot spell in late August last year which was most welcome. However it didn't feel like 'high summer' to me despite being hot. I start to notice a difference in the sun's strength after mid month.

After August 25th,  there is a feeling of a slight chance in the air, compared to earlier in the month. It’s still summer, but perhaps it has to do with the awareness of nights getting longer by that stage.

Late August always strikes me as the first transition from summer to early autumn. Last year it was still nice and hot at that time, but the best part of summer has been and gone by then. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
MOspringSUN2020.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

The sunshine record for spring has been broken with another dry, sunny and warm month. A sharp contrast to the very wet winter but those water stores still need topping up and the fields need rain.

Two Met Office releases - https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2020/2020-spring-and-may-stats 

"The sunshine figures for spring would even be extremely unusual for summer and only three summers would beat Spring 2020 for sunshine hours." MO

https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2020/05/29/spring-2020-the-sunniest-on-record-in-the-uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

After August 25th,  there is a feeling of a slight chance in the air, compared to earlier in the month. It’s still summer, but perhaps it has to do with the awareness of nights getting longer by that stage.

Late August always strikes me as the first transition from summer to early autumn. Last year it was still nice and hot at that time, but the best part of summer has been and gone by then. 

Whilst I don't dislike autumn, the final week of August has me feeling slightly melancholy, knowing summer is ending, and the start of the 'run in' to the gloomy part of the year.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

One of my favourite seasons out of any I have experienced alongside summer 2018, and combined with the lockdown one I will always be nostalgic for.

In Coventry some of the sunshine and other totals:

March: 157.1 hours, (136.5% of the 91-2020 average). Sunniest since March 2014 with 162 hours. Rainfall at 32.4mm.

April: 242.0 hours, (164.5% of the 91-2020 average) second sunniest behind 2007 which had 243.0 hours.

May: 288.5 hours, (150.5% of the 91-2020 average) the sunniest May and month on record!

April 2020 had a CET of 10.5C, the 4th warmest in the series. Mean max was just over 16C, which is more like the average of May! 28mm of rain, less than 60% of the mean.

The mean max in May was about 19.5C, very close to June's typical mean max! 3.0mm of rain made that the driest May since records began in 1892, and the driest single month since September 1959. 6 months have been drier than May 2020.

It was the warmest Spring since 2017 (10.6C); only 5 warmer since 1892.

It was the driest Spring in Coventry since 2011 (52.8mm); only 4 drier in 150 years. Finally It was the sunniest Spring since before 1895!

Edited by Metwatch
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
17 hours ago, Metwatch said:

One of my favourite seasons out of any I have experienced alongside summer 2018, and combined with the lockdown one I will always be nostalgic for.

I realise it's not weather related, but I don't think I'll ever be nostalgic for the lockdown!  The most hated spring of my lifetime by a country mile, give me Spring 1983 and its endless rain anyday! 😉

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
On 09/12/2023 at 18:05, Metwatch said:

In Coventry some of the sunshine and other totals:

March: 157.1 hours, (136.5% of the 91-2020 average). Sunniest since March 2014 with 162 hours. Rainfall at 32.4mm.

April: 242.0 hours, (164.5% of the 91-2020 average) second sunniest behind 2007 which had 243.0 hours.

May: 288.5 hours, (150.5% of the 91-2020 average) the sunniest May and month on record!

April 2020 had a CET of 10.5C, the 4th warmest in the series. Mean max was just over 16C, which is more like the average of May! 28mm of rain, less than 60% of the mean.

The mean max in May was about 19.5C, very close to June's typical mean max! 3.0mm of rain made that the driest May since records began in 1892, and the driest single month since September 1959. 6 months have been drier than May 2020.

It was the warmest Spring since 2017 (10.6C); only 5 warmer since 1892.

It was the driest Spring in Coventry since 2011 (52.8mm); only 4 drier in 150 years. Finally It was the sunniest Spring since before 1895!

Would be fascinating to see that same synoptic pattern/anomalies play out over the course of the calendar summer. I wonder if those synoptics had occurred over the summer, would 2020 have been an all time greatest summer?