Storms and Convective discussion - 1st June 2020onwards

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A quick recap of my day, without getting too waffly. It has been an absolute classic and my favourite/most successful chase so far. - started fairly benign as I failed to get a good handle on the

100% Bonafide Supercell no doubting that whatsoever 35knts of flow, Moved right of the deviant steering flow Killed off anything that came near it Like most Supercells massive uptick in

Nice little thunderstorm finally drought is over!  London webcams: I grabbed this!!! 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Sweatyman said:

continuous lightning thunder. Rain reaally bad now. Mega storm ?

After nothing for ages! So worth the wait!

• Like 6

Honestly that WRF was almost dangerous. Not surprised there’s some crazy storms out there in the Midlands.

• Like 2

We've sending a good one towards Manchester may merge with some cells to the west of us as well. Didn't get going until it passed but some really good cloud to ground strikes from it.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Deep booms coming from the east, first for Buxton l think. More booms as l type.

I can hear it too!  It's very faint though.

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 1

It's only Tuesday, isn't there two more days of these to come? The radar is amazing. The storm that looked to be rolling away from Solihull is possibly building back up.

• Like 4

Webcam for the storm up Roaches/Buxton way  (The road is currently a river! )

shutterstock_312573404.jpg
WWW.WINKINGMAN.CO.UK

Please ask for permission to post images from this webcam/website COPYRIGHT © 2015 THE WINKING MAN, UPPER HULME. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED...

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Superstormuk said:

I agree. Looking at CAPE and shear values as well, I would actually place the moderate zone further South, around the the Midlands (e.g. Northamptonshire) and Oxfordshire areas. I reckon these areas could see some good activity later on the afternoon/early evening. 

I did say earlier that today's focus would be the Midland/Northamptonshire areas. Timing was off, but close enough ?

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Glad everyone is enjoying the thunder and lightning at the moment! Just a reminder, I'm seeing the word "Supercell" used as a bit of a throw away term lately and it must be reminded that they are very rare in the UK. On a typical storm day there's probably <1% of a supercell forming.

Agree @Ben Sainsbury, although that said the storm that I watched develop over E London to my mind had signs of a rotating updraft and base. This also, much like the Manchester cell last night, coincided with a rapid uptick in thunder and lightning as well as precipitation. I also felt something of an outflow.

Here are a couple of photos I took earlier while it was straddling the Thames Estuary, which would (in theory) have aided local wind sheer at the time as well. You can make out the subtle striations of the updraft (first pic) and in the second pic, a lowering which was itself exhibiting signs of weak cyclonic rotation.

I would not, as you rightly say, categorise this storm as a supercell, but equally would say it exhibited supercell characteristics for a good 5 - 10 mins  

BCCB583F-C1A7-4CF9-9335-12E7CD7B1B21.jpeg

391FF330-C9E9-47F3-BC8B-261A2FC10319.jpeg

• Like 3