Storms and Convective discussion - 1st June 2020onwards

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A quick recap of my day, without getting too waffly. It has been an absolute classic and my favourite/most successful chase so far. - started fairly benign as I failed to get a good handle on the

100% Bonafide Supercell no doubting that whatsoever 35knts of flow, Moved right of the deviant steering flow Killed off anything that came near it Like most Supercells massive uptick in

Nice little thunderstorm finally drought is over!  London webcams: I grabbed this!!! 

Posted Images

Well that thunderstorm died as soon as it had formed, and now there's a large clear slot to the southeast. I guess today was always going to be a bonus - perhaps tomorrow and Thursday have better chances for this neck of the woods.

• Like 1

Earlier today i went into Shropshire to follow the storm around Tenbury & Ludlow areas but it fizzled out so everything calmed after that... 4 hours chasing storms but coukd only see lots surrounding us. Maybe later or tomorrow I'll have better luck eh?  ?

20200616_143341.jpg

• Like 1

A frankly pathetic effort from those cells to my SE, fire up, one or two strikes, then die off.

Classic example of pulse or 'popcorn' storms though! 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Superstormuk said:

Some nice photos I got of a cell that passed over me just under an hour ago. No thunder, however I believe there was rotation. 

Edit: this is the cell that is passed over Reading around 20 mins ago. 

IMG_20200616_163639_696.jpg

IMG_20200616_163816_078.jpg

IMG_20200616_164043_564.jpg

That storm is over me. I thought it stopped,  then started up again and changed direction.  It's certainly more West than NW now. It's lost a bit of its intensity tho

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Allseasons-si said:

Finally caught up Christ!!! it is busy in here?

I love how that Leicester storm is hugging the M1

am i going to be third time lucky today?

@Weather-history,great captures mate,i bet you are a happy bunny

@Supacell,are you staying put,storm coming to you.

I headed out and met the Leicester cell just north of Loughborough. As it approached was constantly rumbling but with no visible lightning. It appeared it was not moving far so rather than risking missing it as it died in situ I chose to drive into it.

Being under it I couldn't get out and video it as the rain was torrential. At one point I could barely see where I was driving. Roads quite baldly flooded too. Under the storm the lightning was visible but mostly flashing in the clouds. That apart from one close CG that hit to the side of my car and was like a bomb going off. I did not capture the bolt but I would be very surprised if the sound wasn't captured.

Not a bad start. Now near to the A50/A38 junction debating heading up the M1 for the Newark cell or hanging around to see what new cells near to Coventry choose to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Unsurprising, but to be expected.

would have been more a surprise if it had gone ahead, lol

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Not hear much Thunder or seen any lightning yet, doesn't appear to be much showing on the radar atm apart from a few strikes here and there

looks like a bust for today by the looks of things

Constant lightning here. The rumbling doesnt even stop.

Insane for round here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sparky1972 said:

looks like a bust for today by the looks of things

Still a few hours yet and more cells are appearing around Lincolnshire, just lightning isn't as frequent as it is in the West at the moment, still seeing the shelf cloud earlier was impressive

• Like 1