Storms and Convective discussion - 1st June 2020onwards

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A quick recap of my day, without getting too waffly. It has been an absolute classic and my favourite/most successful chase so far. - started fairly benign as I failed to get a good handle on the

100% Bonafide Supercell no doubting that whatsoever 35knts of flow, Moved right of the deviant steering flow Killed off anything that came near it Like most Supercells massive uptick in

Nice little thunderstorm finally drought is over!  London webcams: I grabbed this!!! 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, B McG said:

There's a lot of lightning with regard the storm just north of Nantwich.  39 a minute! Anyone close by?

Yeah pretty much just constant rumbling as it's moving away

5 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Interesting shape to that storm near Wokingham if anybody is in that area

Yes, very interesting shape. Possibly rotation looking, at the most up to date radar images. Ironically, the first supercell thunderstorm was categorised as such over Wokingham; in the 70s I believe. 

I've got a family member in Wokingham as we speak. I'll give them a shout and ask them what it's like over there. I'm about 12 miles away. 

Edited by Superstormuk
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, Superstormuk said:

Yes very interesting shape. Possibly rotation looking at the most up to date radar images. Ironically the first meso cyclone was categorised as such over Wokingham in the 70s I believe. 

I've got a family member in Wokingham as we speak. I'll give them a shout and ask them what it's like over there. I'm about 12 miles away. 

Thanks 

Cracking pics of that funnel/tornado from North Yorkshire. One thing I find odd is how people really like to emphasise between a funnel and tornado like there’s something fundamentally different. I get they can be formed by different mechanisms but the only real difference is one is on the ground. Also people writing it off as a funnnel because the condensation isn’t on the ground! 

Anyway we had a storm pass to my west about an hour ago. Once again more than I expected to see like the other day. 

A good storm to my se about 18 miles away. Let’s see if it can get any closer now it’s evening. Only problem is 18 miles is about 3 hours.

Not expecting anything to happen here but the skies overhead and to my east look evilly unstable.

6 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

That's quite a storm now 

image.png

Noticed a direct hit for Macclesfield, but not seen or heard anything, must be a false return.

1 minute ago, SalopWatcher said:

With lots around us yesterday and so far today, Shrewsbury getting its first direct hit.

Going to chase tomorrow and think I might target Shrewsbury again haha!

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Well hello there, EURO4... would you like to tell me what that is lurking there in Belgium on Wednesday night? :oldgood:

euro4_uk1-1-54-0.png

Certainly interesting and unusual origins for this one if it comes off.

Swiss plume anyone? ?

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Going to chase tomorrow and think I might target Shrewsbury again haha!

Good call, don't bother coming To Telford to see a storm. Haha!! 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Jim Halpert said:

That cell to the SE is heading straight for Oxford ?

I'm about 15 miles south(red dot) and it's just skirting by me. I've a lovely view of it, though and unlike the folks across the river from me, I'm sitting out in my garden nice and dry ?

• Like 1

Lots of rumbling and some visible lightning from about 8 miles away - this one is active and fast developing.  There was nothing here half an hour ago.