Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st June 2020onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Torrential rain N London. Our first proper rain of the week!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds

Sky is still looking quite stormy and unstable. Wonder if any other cells pop up ahead of that rain band

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Right now I would really do anything to be 1 mile north. These cells are just completely teasing me.

Tell me about it. My friend, who lives 4 miles away, has had the works. I got 3 rumbles and a few spots of rain

• Like 3

Posted

Drizzle Intensity 2/10 first rain since early last week.

Game over for tonight in the Estuary as visibility down to around 1/4 mile and temps back to 14c now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

The lightning for Wators has moved on. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

This is so weird though, I'm under the rain now, if you can call it that, and it's humid and not a breath of wind. Feels erie,

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The emphasis is not on the rain moving in from the continent, it's what develops South of it tomorrow. For that, we need the sunshine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds
3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

This is so weird though, I'm under the rain now, if you can call it that, and it's humid and not a breath of wind. Feels erie,

Similar eerie feel over here now south of London after those pop up cells moved through

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

I'm not really too optimistic for Thursday here tbh.

I think the Met Office are wrong about that warning - I think they have nudged it a bit too north.

Edited by Zak M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

A few distant rumbles earlier but nothing else today. It’s a shame; so much CAPE but no trigger it seems. Never mind. Saturday and Sunday were amazing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

The emphasis is not on the rain moving in from the continent, it's what develops South of it tomorrow. For that, we need the sunshine.

Aye the debate in Midlands thread, how far north the setup is, how quick frontal rain clears, my location could be twixed inbetween the rainband and the sunshine/showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
19 minutes ago, bradleywx said:

Agh north london backbuilding cells are all to my south..I think it's time for a new hobby

I've tried that, you'll be back and hooked again the next time there's a chance!! I think storms are dangerously addictive! 

• Like 2

A quick recap of my day, without getting too waffly. It has been an absolute classic and my favourite/most successful chase so far.

- started fairly benign as I failed to get a good handle on the storms close to Oxford. I didn't want to head too far south and it was the southern side of these storms that were the strongest. Eventually I bailed back north and rejoined the M1 as there were decent signs of development east of Leicester (good call!)

- parked up at Leicester services and had a number of cells swarming around my location, with a nice shelf cloud developing to the west (image posted previously on thread). However there were stronger cells grouping in a line up the M1 north east of Nottingham - I hoped I could drive up to Trowell services before they struck (wishful thinking)

- after driving through one storm core that gave me the heaviest rain I've ever driven through, I parked up at Trowell just as another storm was strengthening to the east. It was already close enough to give some moderate rain and there was no photogenic shelf to witness from  my vantage point. The rain came and it was torrential for a very long time. Perhaps even a microburst at one point which had some hail mixed in - it was probably the heaviest rainfall rates I've witnessed.

- when the rain was more manageable I headed back onto the M1 and headed north, passing through some small but intense rain cores on the way before ending up driving through southern Chesterfield and into the Peak District via Baslow roundabout). After seeing more lightning strikes close by as well as more torrential rain, I parked up near Owler Bar and let the storm clear before getting a picture with my phone as the mist began to roll in. I was hoping for some back edge lightning but the northern side towards Stocksbridge in Sheffield was stronger and I was nowhere near there so I called it quits and took an easy drive home

Attached is one dashcam still of a small storm as I was heading back to Leicester, a shot of the storm approaching from Leicester services as well as a phone photo from the Peak District as the mist began to roll back in. I've linked to some raw footage I took with my camera of the rain at Trowell services - it switches to the possible microburst at about 1:56 into the video, FYI.

IMG_20200617_191804064_HDR_2.jpg

P6170004.jpg

P6170012.jpg

Edited by Jim Halpert
direction edit, east of Leics not west!

Posted

Had some lightning south of Watford, about an hour ago. Nothing for about for an hour. 

Posted

Well, all these storms about and not a sniff of one in Colchester. 

Carry on and keep watering

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

What looked like an MCS the other day is so far a giant wedge of drizzle! Sums up this week to a tee!

Edited by Lance M
  • Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

Well, all these storms about and not a sniff of one in Colchester. 

Carry on and keep watering

Nought here either. Just a long way off rumble very occasionally. 

Posted

Heavy rain in now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
2 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Dark Sky’s forecast for my area. 

405C40BF-82B8-49BB-BC0C-CE1EE9681D6C.jpeg

Sh*te basically. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, jake44 said:

could the south east get thunderstorms tonight anyone know ?

Like I said earlier and am happy to be proved wrong but it is just not condusive too thunderstorms or MCS activity but you cant rule out a stray rumble of thunder, the profiles on the Skewt are absilutely saturated up to 300mb from 900mb which means dynamic rainfall in all levels some heavier pulses mostly moderate some light, drizzle and misty murk. 

The only chance is if something can create itself north or south of the main band by way of convergence which could become a bit stronger and produce echoes, this could be around Norfolk/Suffolk Border or indeed along the South Coast thats even if it reaches there due to the fact it looks like it comes in from the east and lifts North West to be sat over the Midlands by daybreak

Hope this helps

• Like 4