1 hour ago, Zak M said:

BBC are going for Friday too for thunderstorms! except the far southeast

fixed that for you

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, matt111 said:

I'm in the tiny bit between the SLGT and the coast. :wallbash:

Me too. But as I live about two miles in land, I'm gonna cross my fingers, as only just out. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Ryukai said:

That! was! Mental!  Lightning started off as a few distant CG's, they then turned into arching IC's which then turned into fully IC's as it was slowly getting closer (tbh I was expecting it to die off) then ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!

Pretty certain there was a rolling wall cloud thing that came over, was fully dark at the time but I could just make out the underside being lit by the streetlights, stretched from east to west (over the house) and was stupidly fast moving and passed over head in just about 20/30 seconds! And behind that there was just solid blackness!

We had two pulses of very heavy rain, One a few mins before the wall cloud thing (it stopped raining about 2 mins before it came over) then the second more intense one came as the solid blackness behind the rolling cloud was about halfway past.  Quite certain there was a couple of Positive at the end as it moved away. (had that building exploding and collapsing sound to them :P)

Took some (crappy cam phone) vid footage as it was coming towards me (recorded until I ran out of space) so now I'm gonna go through the footage and edit all the good strikes together.  

Yes there was quite a prominent gust front on the storm which was moving at a hell of a speed ahead of the main storm. I caught the storm a few miles SW of Stoke and so there was still enough light to make out the clouds at that point.

• Like 3

Posted

And done!  And as is normally the case, a Leylandii 'garden forest' ruins everything

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 5

Posted
16 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Yes there was quite a prominent gust front on the storm which was moving at a hell of a speed ahead of the main storm. I caught the storm a few miles SW of Stoke and so there was still enough light to make out the clouds at that point.

Ah, that was probably the first one (came through around 10:30'ish'), after it had completely gone dark (around 11'ish') a second more powerful one came through!

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Well what a day. I saw 4 storms in total and got underneath 3 of them. I must have covered an insane amount of miles. I have hours of footage to edit from Tuesday, and I haven't finished editing Monday's footage yet. Saturdays chase footage is now up on my YouTube channel.

Ended up heading down to Lougborough for the first storm, drove back up to Worksop for the cell that hit Newark and I think was the cell that ultimately produced a tornado over the Peak District. I chased the storm into Rotherham but was unable to get into a good vantage point (although was underneath it) and so gave up and headed back down to Leicester for the cells moving north. These looked promising but  missed me and headed west all of sudden. At this point I decided to head home and so went back up the M1. Seeing distant flashes to my west I decided to have a "quick" drive along the A50 towards Stoke-on-Trent for what was a big thunderstorm and easily the best of the week for me, with big flashes of lightning, IC's, CG's, a gust front with strong winds and some of the heaviest rainfall I have seen in a long time. There were even some hailstones briefly too.

It doesn't look like I will have much rest either, another stormy day tomorrow (sorry I mean today - it's gone midnight already). However, I am not going to rest yet, I want to make the most of this stormy set up whilst we have it.

I think the stoke cell was the one leicester got hit by!!what a storm it was!!thats 2 days in a row!!can we make it a hattrick?!!i have never in my life witnessed 3 days in a row of electrical storms!!very good chance its about to change today

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

At 16:59 I was looking out (North-ish) of the field I was in.

I noticed a cloud in the distance that had a 'curtain' of rain going directly vertical, but I then did notice something a bit thicker that wasn't vertical, it was at an angle. So, as much as I'd love it to've been some sort of vortex (FC or TOR) I'm the type that'd happily stick with it's a strong rain shaft (*giggety*) that is being blown by the wind, hence the angle.

I tried to take a picture, I had to zoom in on my phone because of how far away it was. The camera doesn't seem to see anything.

view-1.thumb.jpg.9246422179262b36f73257298dc1336b.jpg

So, I decided to pop it in to Photoshop when I got back home to faff around with the 'levels' to change the way the image looks, and I *think* it's a bit more visible.

view-2.thumb.jpg.d04d5bb0909f675af83833a1781db026.jpg

Here's the region I'm looking at:

view-3.thumb.jpg.1cb81dd0f2580ac9fdfcce211d2461c4.jpg

Any thoughts?

As I say, I think it may just be a wind-blown shaft. (*inserts 'Oh Matron' GIF*)

Oh and just to throw in to the mix, totally off-topic, whilst on the benches atop the hill, I did get a very pretty fellow visitor too.

20200616_171241.thumb.jpg.a0ce8c090fa49e9cb7a187939104d5ab.jpg

Edited by Dale Hay
Cat tax.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive
26 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

And done!  And as is normally the case, a Leylandii 'garden forest' ruins everything

To be honest, that storm could have had better manners and come up on the right of the tree instead.   

We had a huge fir tree eight feet from our bedroom. I had it removed three years ago. Two reasons: lightning hazard (more from blown timber from a strike), and could not see a damn thing out of the window.

Much better without it. Suburban gardens are not made for giant trees.

Nice video!

• Like 1

Posted

Now THIS is some close lightning!

Large version of the image

EaquGRcXsAIZZxK?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

• Like 4

Posted

Just had a quick look outside, fog's as thick as pea soup out there. So much for the storms clearing the air.  They've just increased the humidity to 100% instead lol

Edited by Ryukai

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
12 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Just had a quick look outside, fog's as thick as pea soup out there. So much for the storms clearing the air.  They've just increased the humidity to 100% instead lol

yep, an hour ago I was looking at the noctilucent clouds, now it's a pea souper

• Like 1

Posted

Risk transfers a little further SW today - i'm going to stick my neck out and plump for something juicy around Taunton/Bridgewater moving into Southern Wales/Cardiff.

weather 17.06.2020.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Loved the morning forecast "some of the Thunderstorms will have thunder and hail mixed in". LOL

• Like 2

Posted

Just getting used to reading the detailed charts again to forecast and if I'm seeing it right then the oxford area along the M4 corridor towards Bristol  has some hi CAPE values and some nice sheer developing? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow

Even though I'm not in it, I'm super excited by this more southern moderate risk today!

socialmedialogo.png
CONVECTIVEWEATHER.CO.UK

Forecasting thunderstorms and severe convective weather across the British Isles and Ireland for up to the next 5 days.

• Like 4

Posted

The sun is breaking through a lot earlier than yesterday here at Coningsby. Feels very muggy already too, can only be a good thing for Lincolnshire's chances later on.

Posted

Yup, sun's been out since 6 here, hopefully break my "no storms club" membership today

Posted

Much cloudier start today, but it has holes in it which I hope will grow. Also, while difficult to see against the backdrop of cirrostratus, there are a few lines of AcCas (yay!) 

Ignore the fire smoke in the second pic

B0BF3022-4D9D-433B-9808-4D8AD27886B4.jpeg

14BEE2C9-3F9B-4504-8785-DD5EDF95C19C.jpeg

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Had storms to the West, South, North and East of here yesterday,  heard plenty of thunder in the distance,  and dark skies, but no rain, and sunshine most the day. In fact, it wa a very pleasant day in all..... if you don't like thunderstorms

Posted
6 hours ago, sheikhy said:

I think the stoke cell was the one leicester got hit by!!what a storm it was!!thats 2 days in a row!!can we make it a hattrick?!!i have never in my life witnessed 3 days in a row of electrical storms!!very good chance its about to change today

Yes, it was. Just checked back over the radar. So I didn't miss the Leicester cell, haha all the better.

More storms around today again. Probably more focused a bit south of where they have been for the heaviest storms, but still good for you and possibly for me up here.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

ConvectiveWeather forecast update - Now 2 MDT Zones!

socialmedialogo.png
WWW.CONVECTIVEWEATHER.CO.UK

Forecasting thunderstorms and severe convective weather across the British Isles and Ireland for up to the next...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Looks good for places further South of here.