Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st June 2020onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Just now, Justin1705 said:

OOOOOOO now what do we have here, is it a is it a ✈️, no it’s a brand new cell out of the warning zone ⚠️! Time lapse is reinstated And Radar is being watched. Best of luck for everyone today !!

8B782179-F81C-4BCB-8BEA-A25C7195FAB1.png

Same thing happened yesterday - there’s no doubt there’s the potential for isolated, perhaps even torrential showers, even some rogue thunder, but as with yesterday I think there will just be a lack of juice over the SE. I saw some stunning looking Cb formations yesterday evening (while driving so alas no pics) but they lacked height and general oompf. I think today does look marginally better but I don’t think it’s anywhere near as promising as further west. I hope to proven wrong!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Compared to last two days, its gray murk here at the moment, and does not feel as primed as last few days. Weird. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

It is worth pointing out for those of us in the SE that while the ‘rain’ warning for the south is a bit of a kick in the teeth after great swathes having warnings for the thunderstorms, the warning text does say ‘heavy showers and thunderstorms’ - make of that what you will 

Was gutted when I saw this.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Same thing happened yesterday - there’s no doubt there’s the potential for isolated, perhaps even torrential showers, even some rogue thunder, but as with yesterday I think there will just be a lack of juice over the SE. I saw some stunning looking Cb formations yesterday evening (while driving so alas no pics) but they lacked height and general oompf. I think today does look marginally better but I don’t think it’s anywhere near as promising as further west. I hope to proven wrong!

It'll probably be identical to yesterday, stuff kicking off literally just to the north of here in the M4 corridor. Spent the whole of 5 - 8pm looking at pitch black skies and towering CBs just up the A33 from me, but not a single drop of rain fell here! 

Edited by Lance M
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

May as well throw my risk graphic into the mix

NW areas once again could hit the jackpot today, though a wider risk of storms elsewhere across the UK compared with the previous few days. What a run this is!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Plenty of moisture in the sky today. At 7:45am brilliant sunshine, wall-to-wall blue.  And now we have a small cell popped up and giving everything a good soaking. I expect this cell will electrify well north of here, Others beginning to pop up over Sussex.

Met Office and Estofex show Reigate to be out of the action zone but (if the Met Office's warnings are to be believed) Thursday might be our day!

Enjoy the show, those who get it!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
9 minutes ago, Justin1705 said:

Nice one! I should have just laughed it off but now I know, it’s all about learning. Knowledge is power. Anyway I’m actually excited today even though the SE and E England has little to no risk the sky and radar says otherwise. The term widespread showers are hard to pinpoint when they are England wide. So it’s radar watching and now casting ! 

thanks for your understanding though:)

No worries pal. 

If in doubt, and if you can, head out on a chase if it’s clear to see that storms aren’t likely to form locally to somewhere that may, or if you spot a huge cumulonimbus in the distance. 

8 o clock yesterday I ventured out into the midlands and I was treated to a worldie near Leicester. I’d have seen nowt if I had stayed in!

I could see it brewing to my S! That’s when I knew to get the car keys out and chase after it! 

• Like 1

Posted

morning all, sun making an apperance a cpl of hours earlier than yesterday, will it mean more of a chance of seeing a storm today, we shall have to wait and see, happy storm chasing all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective, Snow
14 minutes ago, AMeltedFlake said:

Will this cloud cover burn off?  

Screenshot_20200616-110427_Windy.jpg

Sun is starting to come out over Birmingham ways, so it looks like it may finally be going!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Sun coming through for first time today! 

Some little showers developing in a line out of Mid wales towards Birmingham. Something to keep an eye on. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, SalopWatcher said:

Sun coming through for first time today! 

Some little showers developing in a line out of Mid wales towards Birmingham. Something to keep an eye on. 

Keeping a very close eye, im just west of Birmingham and i can see them slowly forming.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

There a  lot more potential here in Plymouth today. Having some sharp showers and a gusty wind which is breaking the cloud cover nicely.

Posted

Finding it very difficult to troubleshoot servers this morning and get excited about the storms, way to many distractions! But definitely good ones!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW! And a good thunderstorm

Morning all, 

Looking forward to this afternoon! Not holding much hope in the London area but both myself and my dad aren’t scared to get in the car and have a chase! The question is how far are we willing to chase... We can hope for a nice surprise down south. Good luck to everyone 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
1 hour ago, dave reid said:

That sucks.

By contrast my jobs just been aborted as nest full of baby chic's on tower......the chase is on

Storms are slow today I’m hoping to surf one up the M1... cowabunga!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
33 minutes ago, SalopWatcher said:

Compared to last two days, its gray murk here at the moment, and does not feel as primed as last few days. Weird. 

yep sunshine in short supply today

edit - now a little rain

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted

What's the best way to work out the direction of a cell? Using the radar and going through each frame works ok, just wondering if there's a different technique? There's two cells near me (Bishops Castle) and they seem to be going in ever so slightly different directions thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

No worries pal. 

If in doubt, and if you can, head out on a chase if it’s clear to see that storms aren’t likely to form locally to somewhere that may, or if you spot a huge cumulonimbus in the distance. 

8 o clock yesterday I ventured out into the midlands and I was treated to a worldie near Leicester. I’d have seen nowt if I had stayed in!

I could see it brewing to my S! That’s when I knew to get the car keys out and chase after it! 

I might get myself over to Luton, it’s probably significantly higher chance of seeing anything. Right now I’m in NE London, but yesterday there was formation towards W/NW London so may take a drive round the m25. However we’re not storm starved this week. Thursday looks to be our day. And it’s an import  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
7 minutes ago, Justin1705 said:

Yeah I think Thursday is our day for the SE nonetheless I love the cloudscapes. I’m sorry but I’ve gotta upload this one as well just pure lovely clouds, However they seem to reach a certain height and collapse #CAP

Rinse repeat of yesterday. It was about this time and I’m in exactly the same spot and there’s good growth but they get to a point and can’t push any further.

At least it shows that there’s forcing at work, very early afternoon the cap should give way