Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st June 2020onwards

Posted
8 minutes ago, matt111 said:

This what you were talking about earlier? @Ryukai

Sounds like it, there was a bit of a 'normal' rumble for a sec before it, then just the MASSIVE cracking noise like a building being demolished.  Scared the life out of me!

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny with no clouds ☀️

I’ve seen absolutely nothing at all the past few days, most likely will tomorrow though. 

• Like 1

Posted

I just seen lightning, about 20-30miles away! to my North 
Interval 20-30sec 

turns out it's over Mid Wales .. can't believe I can see that far North!

Edited by ancientsolar
  • Like 1

Posted

Alright guys, this has been an amazing night and it's been fun on here, but now it's gone a little quieter, I'm going to head off and turn in, nice chatting to you all!

• Like 6

Just now, ancientsolar said:

I just seen lightning, about 20-30miles away! to my North 

This happened 6 years ago this month. Just around a mile from my home. You heard a humungous bang and a fireball. I don’t no how they escaped. Crazy experience

article-2652780-1E9A74BD00000578-331_636
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Joanne Emberson, 39, was in her metal-framed bed when the 300,000 volt lightning strike hit the TV aerial at her home in Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

Posted

Apologies if this sounds like a noob question but does moisture in the ground/vegetation have any contribution to thunderstorm development the following day? 

I ask because it has rained quite a bit here tonight, although I don’t know if/what changes that makes to anything regarding development?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny with no clouds ☀️
8 minutes ago, Joe simpson said:

This happened 6 years ago this month. Just around a mile from my home. You heard a humungous bang and a fireball. I don’t no how they escaped. Crazy experience

article-2652780-1E9A74BD00000578-331_636
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Joanne Emberson, 39, was in her metal-framed bed when the 300,000 volt lightning strike hit the TV aerial at her home in Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

This is why I’m petrified of lightning lol no chance I’m sleeping when there is a storm!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Looks like I missed out by a few weeks (having moved down to Solihull from Norton, Stoke) of the storm tonight. However I haven't got too much envy as there was that wicked storm last month. Its been a good year for Stokies on the storm front so far, there hasn't been THAT much activity in previous summers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

You've had a great time of it! So jealous.  Tuesday and Wednesday look like they could be interesting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Constant night time lightning, no trees

Been a crazy day today, that supercell was mental, got this pic on my way back off the coast, hope to experience more with you all tomorrow, but for now gn fellas ⛈? 

20200615_212921.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

There are a few strikes I remember in vivid detail from when I was a kid, there's 3 in particular that stand out, one struck a tree in the fields near the lake at Ford Green Hall, it wasn't the fact that it struck a tree though it was the shape of it, it looked like a set of stairs! Almost shear vertical and horizontal steps all of which were roughly the same length. 

Another one was an anvil crawler (like the ones you see on storms from America) on a storm that was moving away, also strangely enough the storms were moving in the same direction as they are currently and it was around the same time of the year too! Didn't know what it was called at the time (I was about 8/9 yo and the internet didn't exist) so I started calling it 'Coral lightning' as it looked the fan corals I'd seen in a nature documentary.

And the third one struck the aerial on a house the next street down. What was fascinating was that as it 'vanished' it seemed to break into smaller sparks that appeared to race away (whilst fading) from the main strike. Kind of like the sparks from a welding torch.  That one was a little too close for my liking.  

• Like 2

Posted

The Lyme Brook in Newcastle is on a flood warning now, rapidly rising.

Posted
9 minutes ago, RobR said:

The Lyme Brook in Newcastle is on a flood warning now, rapidly rising.

I'll be very surprised if there isn't any flooding down at Ford Green.  I'm on Pinfold and the water was completely across the road and deep enough to go over the curb and onto the pavement. Could even see it running down the drive like a mini river when a car came speeding along through it, and that's despite there being a drain almost directly outside my house.

Posted

Given how stationary these storms seem to have been tonight, there's bound to be some severe flooding.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

I'll be very surprised if there isn't any flooding down at Ford Green.  I'm on Pinfold and the water was completely across the road and deep enough to go over the curb and onto the pavement. Could even see it running down the drive like a mini river when a car came speeding along through it, and that's despite there being a drain almost directly outside my house.

Yes, I'd imagine Ford Green will have risen rapidly. I guess though it doesn't tend to affect houses unlike Lyme Brook which runs adjacent to housing and is very reactive. Be interesting if Ford Green has risen over the main road, that would be exceptional (though its happened back before work was done in the valley to prevent flooding),

• Like 1

Posted

Just been looking at the stations, Lyme brook got up to almost 1.75 meters above normal but is on the way back down now.  River Trent's on it's way up rapidly now also, almost a meter and still rising!

opengraph-image.png?0.26.0
FLOOD-WARNING-INFORMATION.SERVICE.GOV.UK

Check your risk of flooding: get current flood warnings, river and sea levels, check the 5-day forecast or use flood risk maps

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, RobR said:

Yes, I'd imagine Ford Green will have risen rapidly. I guess though it doesn't tend to affect houses unlike Lyme Brook which runs adjacent to housing and is very reactive. Be interesting if Ford Green has risen over the main road, that would be exceptional (though its happened back before work was done in the valley to prevent flooding),

They did build that new housing estate along it on the opposite side of the road, though the brook would probably need to get over 1.5, possibly 2 meters to start to flood those houses.

And yeah, I remember the realy bad floods they used to have down there (they have plaques on the wall measuring the water levels for the highest floods ) The Big one (that forced the council to actually DO something) almost reached the top of the ground floor windows!

Edited by Ryukai

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

One more tweet from today. This time the hail in Manchester earlier

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

They did build that new housing estate along it on the opposite side of the road, though the brook would probably need to get over 1.5, possibly 2 meters to start to flood those houses.

Yes I lived on the Heights. The lower and older housing estate, some of the front houses could flood if the river spilled over but I've never seen it do so in ten years. The upper part would have to see a biblical flood to see it flood houses there. 

All the work from the valley and also around the housing (re-routing the water and all the pools) means it would take something special to flood.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

i’m a bit worried about the sea-breeze again today, although it’s more of an NW veering NNW and it’s quite light so may not have much of an affect. Also most of the CAPE seems to be MUCAPE especially later rather than surface based so that might help. Very weak steering flow again though so will need things to develop nearby.

for my location, WRF is showing 700 J/Kg of surface-based CAPE this afternoon, and then over 1100 J/Kg of MUCAPE this evening and tomorrow is almost a carbon copy of that but with less of a sea-breeze.

let’s see what happens. Liverpool Airport TAF is again showing the probability of heavy thunderstorm rain between 1200-2300. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Nothing happened last night here again probably due to the aforementioned dreaded sea-breeze or what was left of it. Seems people had a fun night. Not here though. Hate the Irish sea!