Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st June 2020onwards

Posted

If nothing else this morning is the first morning that has felt ‘juicy’ in Warminster. The sun has broken through low cloud and along with the ESE wind it feels warm and muggy.

I notice the Met Office rain prediction has showers breaking out from the South coast in the early hours with a heavy cell near the Bristol Channel by 04.00, is this a potential elevated show for the West Country?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
16 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

If nothing else this morning is the first morning that has felt ‘juicy’ in Warminster. The sun has broken through low cloud and along with the ESE wind it feels warm and muggy.

I notice the Met Office rain prediction has showers breaking out from the South coast in the early hours with a heavy cell near the Bristol Channel by 04.00, is this a potential elevated show for the West Country?

Hope so Andy. Haven't done very well so far, only light showery rain. Currently a stiff breeze and a lot of cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Morning all. 

A mixture of outputs again to be fair, although most are showing similar things as what we’re shown yesterday. A storm system or activity of some kind heading WNW out of BeNeLux. 

The activity in SE France is certainly there. More importantly, Germany and other places like Luxembourg further North are clear (hopefully staying that way), and this will allow for that heat to build, and hopefully brew up a beast of a system for later. It’s all a watching game from now on in folks.

Enjoy it! 

FBB07D0F-D379-4EE7-934F-D5745B197866.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Morning all. 

A mixture of outputs again to be fair, although most are showing similar things as what we’re shown yesterday. A storm system or activity of some kind heading WNW out of BeNeLux. 

The activity in SE France is certainly there. More importantly, Germany and other places like Luxembourg further North are clear (hopefully staying that way), and this will allow for that heat to build, and hopefully brew up a beast of a system for later. It’s all a watching game from now on in folks.

Enjoy it! 

FBB07D0F-D379-4EE7-934F-D5745B197866.png

The current weather-pattern (one that I call 'stable instability'! :oldlaugh:) is one of my favourites, and means that we can all plot the SE-NW tracks of storm-systems without having to worry about everything being swept away, by an incoming Atlantic front...?:oldgood:

Awaits humdingers by the dozen!:yahoo:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Alexa tells me i can expect some thunderstorms today and we all know what that means!

Nice to see you back @A.J long time no see.

Poor wills, I wonder hows he getting on, poor chap was flamed more than me! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Any remaining positivity I had about the next couple of days has been further zapped out of me by this morning's runs etc. I'll keep charging my camera batteries regardless as I've already started now! But it'll be in vain...

Always preferred an actual plume over these sort of set-ups anyway, so roll on the first one of those!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
2 hours ago, Nick F said:

Netweather's Thunderstorm Outlook for today: 

THUNDERSTORM OUTLOOK - FRI 12 JUNE 2020

stormmap_120620_2.thumb.png.1d9ab84746a1903d877f631a066aad3b.png

I've always wondered why storms weaken crossing the N Sea from E to W, but when they exit the E coast they seem to intensify?

Edited by Supacell
Removed long quote
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
2 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

I've always wondered why storms weaken crossing the N Sea from E to W, but when they exit the E coast they seem to intensify?

They get excited because they like Denmark

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow
6 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

It might be nothing but in the last few frames of the cloud radar animation, I see this area of cloud developing moving NW?

4FD5DA55-0437-47E2-A7B0-A96F0DDDF979.jpeg

I can see a few cumulus towers to my north, and they definitely have that convective feel to them.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

If I'm honest almost anything could happen today. Every model has practically watered down today's evening risk and same goes for the weak MCS moving NW. I really don't understand why every decent thunderstorm risk gets watered down, god I hope we get surprised today/tonight.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Lance M said:

Any remaining positivity I had about the next couple of days has been further zapped out of me by this morning's runs etc. I'll keep charging my camera batteries regardless as I've already started now! But it'll be in vain...

Always preferred an actual plume over these sort of set-ups anyway, so roll on the first one of those!

Definitely a day for radar watching and now-casting. I have that feeling that we may be a touch too far south and are likely to be in the breeding ground for those further north. I'm hoping that by me actually posting, that this will be a double bluff

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Very warm and muggy air here. Agree different models seem to want to do slightly different things - some suggestions of some pop up storm type events after the rain band comes through today, others stay totally dry. Ben Rich’s forecast of last night was devoid of any locational detail - it was as if the graphics behind him weren’t there, except for when it came to temperatures - that says a lot about the reliability of the models. Warm humid air and low pressure nearby means there could well be surprises - let’s keep our fingers crossed and keep an eye on the radar and lightning detection over the next few days

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

If I'm honest almost anything could happen today. Every model has practically watered down today's evening risk and same goes for the weak MCS moving NW. I really don't understand why every decent thunderstorm risk gets watered down, god I hope we get surprised today/tonight.

Always seems to be 2 things driving the models over-egging 3 or 4 days out. 1 they nearly always introduce too much moisture (not just GFS), 2 quite often always appear to over state the amount of isolation available, once they get within 24-36hrs they catchup and reduce the risk. 

That said this situation was always going to be tricky, the usually very good Arome has moved the MCS tonight probably about 100miles further east which is quite a chance for that model. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Now-cast day today. Hope there's some sort of surprise. Feeling humid outside with a dp of 14.8°C.

Posted
2 hours ago, Dami said:

Alexa tells me i can expect some thunderstorms today and we all know what that means!

Nice to see you back @A.J long time no see.

Poor wills, I wonder hows he getting on, poor chap was flamed more than me! 

Ahhh the memories 

1384605584_CropperCapture2.thumb.jpg.4b9bbb691ae38e0fa6f71ea397cd88eb.jpg

The weather the last few days around here has been boring, damp and dismal so a nice storm (here's hoping) would make up for it over this weekend

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Good ol Will's ears must be on fire!  

• Like 2

Posted

To be fair he just bought an all-in-one and linked it to a server - not an innovation particularly - but great to see he’s still passionate about the climate

Trying to get acas records from his site but it says I don’t have the right security clearance for such sensitive data

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Humid, looking at the radar but I have a sinking feeling this is going to be a all-west country show.  (I'll suppress the Dolly Parton music...    ).  We'll get some rain here in the south east but I can't see it being particularly intense.

Posted
1 minute ago, StormLoser said:

Humid, looking at the radar but I have a sinking feeling this is going to be a all-west country show.  (I'll suppress the Dolly Parton music...    ).  We'll get some rain here in the south east but I can't see it being particularly intense.

Distant show for the soggy middle though

• Like 1