Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st June 2020onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Dull cloudy skies for most of the day here and no chance of any storms. This is the best I saw once the cloud finally started to clear this evening. 

C8F6FAAF-CAC1-4E40-9AD8-65FDC94881F7.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine
On 04/06/2020 at 23:29, Chris Lea-Alex said:

Shall we start talking about Saturday?

I'm trusting what GFS is saying this close in.  Hardly an event but, going on 2020 standards, will suffice

Screenshot_20200604-232403.png

Well...  Pass me a towel so I can wipe the smug grin off my face!

IMG_20200606_184059.jpg

IMG_20200606_183629.jpg

IMG_20200606_183717.jpg

Edited by Chris Lea-Alex
Pics
  • Like 5

I've seen a few people saying today's featured the best storm they've seen in years....whattt?! Lasted about an hour here, sporadic bright pink bolts, some very impressive shotgun type thunder and a very healthy 14.7mm - impressive persistence for a northerly yes, best event since 1st October last year when I got lucky with quite a localised overhead storm..but god best in years?! No decent sized hail, no daytime darkness, generally low strike rates, no epic convective gusts and no proper torrential rain..all essential items on my good storm checklist!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 minutes ago, bradleywx said:

I've seen a few people saying today's featured the best storm they've seen in years....whattt?! Lasted about an hour here, sporadic bright pink bolts, some very impressive shotgun type thunder and a very healthy 14.7mm - impressive persistence for a northerly yes, best event since 1st October last year when I got lucky with quite a localised overhead storm..but god best in years?! No decent sized hail, no daytime darkness, generally low strike rates, no epic convective gusts and no proper torrential rain..all essential items on my good storm checklist!!

Probably because quite a few areas have had very little over the last few years. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 hours ago, Chris Thomas said:

Beautiful storm structure across East London. Some mean thunder, plus a couple of missed strikes. 

IMG_3372.thumb.JPG.319a3005b97395d36362590b6a234c53.JPG  IMG_3385.thumb.JPG.819d174c2c77274f14d4c0646c29a863.JPG  IMG_3387.thumb.JPG.647a33edae8a41bd7bdb1f280fd20898.JPG

Oh! my!

Dorothy-Oh-My-Wizard-Of-Oz.gif.695df248cddce63d5919484ef8e68f53.gif

cracking photo's mate

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
27 minutes ago, bradleywx said:

Overnight imported storms don't have the impressive SB-based features for many places so that's why it's most likely been labelled the best storm in years by some. Some places also had rain rates over 100mm/hr & blankets of hail which can also add onto the previous things to create a v good storm for people who only really get imported ones. I'd have certainly been very chuffed if I got all this & I'd probably say it's the best storm in years.

Edited by Jamiee
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
1 hour ago, Chris Lea-Alex said:

Well...  Pass me a towel so I can wipe the smug grin off my face!

IMG_20200606_184059.jpg

IMG_20200606_183629.jpg

IMG_20200606_183717.jpg

Hi I work for the Daily Express, can you confirm it was you who took that last photo? We would love to use it in an article we’re writing

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine
11 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Hi I work for the Daily Express, can you confirm it was you who took that last photo?

Haha, yes.  It's a grand for the full bitmap, £500 for a jpeg.  Ironically I did see similar shaped bolt about 15 minutes later from South Norwood Hill whilst driving - one of the longest CGs I've ever seen

Edited by Chris Lea-Alex
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
6 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Hi I work for the Daily Express, can you confirm it was you who took that last photo? We would love to use it in an article we’re writing

Article name:

'HUGE Supercell Thunderstorm BATTERS London and more MCS storms CONTINUE over SE England'

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just stepped into the garden - the stench of petrichor is bliss!!!

• Like 3

Posted

Although there was no direct hit for me today, its been an awesome day of sunshine and heavy showers, with some awesome cloudscapes. 

Tomorrow there could be some interest, albeit a lower risk than today, so one to look out for.

metcheck: 'A marginal risk of scattered thunderstorms across Central and Western areas on Sunday afternoon due to cooler upper level air as well as diurnal heating.'

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Zak M said:

Article name:

'HUGE Supercell Thunderstorm BATTERS London and more MCS storms CONTINUE over SE England'

That's just way too unrealistic for a rag headline...

'HUGE Supercell Thunderstorm BATTERS ENGLAND! and more GIANT STORMS continue over THE ENTIRE UK!!!!!

There... much for realistic for them  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
1 minute ago, Ryukai said:

'HUGE Supercell Thunderstorm BATTERS ENGLAND! and more GIANT STORMS continue over THE ENTIRE UK!!!!!

They certainly love to use capitals in their headlines lmao

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
7 hours ago, Ryukai said:

Apart from Sheffield where it will sunny and dry during this period and having 900C temperatures.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Hope everyone enjoyed the storms yesterday. Some great pics on twitter of the storms rolling across central London.

Scrolling through social media two things bother me.

1. Why are people shocked to see hail at this time of the year? There seems to be a misconception that it should only happen in winter.

2. Sheet lightning. It surprises me how many people believe that it exists. 

Edited by John90
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
43 minutes ago, John90 said:

Hope everyone enjoyed the storms yesterday. Some great pics on twitter of the storms rolling across central London.

Scrolling through social media two things bother me.

1. Why are people shocked to see hail at this time of the year? There seems to be a misconception that it should only happen in winter.

2. Sheet lightning. It surprises me how many people believe that it exists. 

Isn't that just a layman's term for IC lightning? Its use doesn't bother me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
8 minutes ago, Lance M said:

I think the people who don't know there are different types of lighting, won't know either name. They'd probably use the term for crawlers as well. Although everyone seems to know forked lightning. 

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
17 minutes ago, Lance M said:

That's how i'd use it but some seem to think that's its entirely different. As if it isn't formed of a bolt. Another one is heat lightning which is slightly different. 

I find weather misunderstandings and myths really interesting. Often get told off for correcting people who really don't care. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
2 minutes ago, John90 said:

That's how i'd use it but some seem to think that's its entirely different. As if it isn't formed of a bolt. Another one is heat lightning which is slightly different. 

I find weather misunderstandings and myths really interesting. Often get told off for correcting people who really don't care. 

Ah I see! Yeah that'd annoy me too. 

There's a video of a crazy strobing storm in Florida from around a week ago on YouTube. You'd have a field day in the comments section. 10% of the comments are sensible, but the rest consist of the storm being 'unnatural', created by 'HAARP', or religious nonsense, and a hell of a lot of comments calling it 'heat lightning'. Then, on top of all that, there's a tonne of people asking why there's no thunder (despite the storm clearly being many miles away), and others replying to them claiming it's normal to have no thunder with heat lightning.

I despair!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

You can see the convergence on UKV just above the S Coast. Interesting to see what might kick off later on.

image.thumb.png.d20abba7fe77a6ff0e7be2cda778cfc6.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Jamiee said:

You can see the convergence on UKV just above the S Coast. Interesting to see what might kick off later on.

image.thumb.png.d20abba7fe77a6ff0e7be2cda778cfc6.png

Right over my house  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain
8 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Right over my house  

Fingers crossed for something today. You are not too far from me

Rather warm outside with lots of blue sky! Cloud scapes over the IOW are looking impressive

• Like 1