Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st June 2020onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
23 minutes ago, jake44 said:

hmmmm my alexa says thunderstorm tonight for ramsgate could the thunderstorms in france head our way ??

No chance I'm afraid. Those storms are miles away and the upper flow is from the north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells, snow, thunder snow, tornadoes
1 hour ago, jake44 said:

hmmmm my alexa says thunderstorm tonight for ramsgate could the thunderstorms in france head our way ??

Mine does to reckon it just says It for the whole UK? Or will it happen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine
17 minutes ago, Charlie Harnett said:

Mine does to reckon it just says It for the whole UK? Or will it happen

I wouldn't trust the auto generated weather from the apps.  You'll get to the time it says lightning and it suddenly change to drizzle or something

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
1 minute ago, Chris Lea-Alex said:

I wouldn't trust the auto generated weather from the apps.  You'll get to the time it says lightning and it suddenly change to drizzle or something

Absolutely do not trust Alexa for specific weather  forecasts. I don’t know what algorithms feed it but it seems to pick up on the smallest chance from one forecast model and run with it. It also doesn’t seem to get updated as often as your phone app forecasts which are also rubbish. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
1 hour ago, Chris Lea-Alex said:

Google is good. It literally will tell you if you are currently experiencing a thunderstorm. Quite useful

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
9 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Google is good. It literally will tell you if you are currently experiencing a thunderstorm. Quite useful

I've heard Windows can be good for that too!

I'll get my coat. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Lance M said:

I've heard Windows can be good for that too!

I'll get my coat. 

Brilliant!!!!

In storm news, there is none. GFS offering almost nothing for the next fortnight, seemingly intent on keeping us under dull cool and convection free dreariness. ECM a bit better but not resembling anything of what it did a day or two ago. On the plus side, models really struggling at the moment so perhaps a sudden short notice plume may realise at some point...

This was my expression a short while ago when I stepped outside into cloudy cool and breezy weather and realised, after 2 months of pretty much wall to wall sunshine, that I don’t in fact live in the Mediterranean

660E0790-BF8D-4B45-9C5C-4CB1890FF210.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

"lightning is likely to be at a premium" - Dan

"Diurnal Disappointment" - The Sun

"HP Supercell to batter Brits" - The Express

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Thu 04 Jun 2020 - 05:59 UTC Fri 05 Jun 2020

ISSUED 20:04 UTC Wed 03 Jun 2020

ISSUED BY: Dan

Negatively-tilted upper trough over the North Sea will continue to strengthen through the forecast period, with mid/upper levels continuing to cool. This places the British Isles on the rear side of the trough for Thursday, with a strong northwesterly flow aloft. Early showery rain will clear East Anglia and SE England, although some will persist over western Ireland. There may be quite a bit of cloud around at times, but some sunny spells are likely and any low-level cloud will be subject to convective overturning courtesy of the strong June sunshine. Diurnal heating will yield 100-400 J/kg CAPE, with numerous showers likely to develop, becoming more widespread by the afternoon hours. Convective depth will be rather restricted for most of the day, generally below 600mb (ELTs -10C), but may increase a little towards evening. Showers will be particularly focussed along a pronounced convergence zone which is likely to develop from W / SW Scotland down across N England towards East Anglia. Some complications exist, as showers could grow upscale into an area of showery rain potentially as a small surface low develops. The steering flow will be NNW-SSE initially, but as the winds aloft gradually back through the afternoon then the motion of showers may eventually turn more NW-SE. Speed shear will gradually increase through the day, perhaps reaching 20-30kts through the cloud-bearing layer by evening. Overall any lightning is likely to be at a premium, generally isolated and most areas will remain void of such activity on Thursday. Overnight, the focus for the heaviest showers will shift to western and northwestern Britain.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2020-06-04

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

12z GFS is showing a thunderstorm imported from France on day 9, will it happen? Probably not.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
14 minutes ago, Zak M said:

12z GFS is showing a thunderstorm imported from France on day 9, will it happen? Probably not.

Of course it won’t. When does it? :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
30 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Looking east 

Screenshot_20200604_172800.jpg

Had a similar view to the west here earlier but nothing happened and there haven’t been any showers nearby at all today. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Sferic to the NW of Peterborough.

• Like 1

Posted

When I saw that on the radar I didn't think much of it but that picture makes it look a lot more impressive than the radar would make you believe. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
57 minutes ago, Jamiee said:

Beautiful structure on that decaying storm moving SSE from Cambridge. 

image.png

Nice UFO captured there also:oldlaugh:

• Like 3

Posted

Shall we start talking about Saturday?

I'm trusting what GFS is saying this close in.  Hardly an event but, going on 2020 standards, will suffice

Screenshot_20200604-232403.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

looks like something coming up from france next week and in the night that seems the only 3 hour thunderstorm chance

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, Xanderp009 said:

looks like something coming up from france next week and in the night that seems the only 3 hour thunderstorm chance

What day next week could it hit ramsgate ?