South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/06/2020 Onward

Positive I saw either a funnel cloud or tornado over Clevedon or the channel while out walking the dog just now. Typically I didn't have my phone with me🙄

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 1
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'll like this one.... Some kids were camping over in the Downton meadows last night. Packing up in the rain this morning, we watched them bag their rubbish up, then chuck it in the trees. I shouted

My poor attempt at taking photos of lightning with the phone! 

Just missed out in frome again , but took a short a short stroll  to a good vantage point and caught  funnel cloud 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Positive I saw either a funnel cloud or tornado over Clevedon or the channel while out walking the dog just now. Typically I didn't have my phone with me🙄

Quite possibly, I heard a few rumbles in the distance sat outside at Cadbury House. Looks quite menacing in that direction.

31 minutes ago, SteveB said:

It's been reported with pictures in the storm thread..

21 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Just seen that on the storm thread. 

Anything forecast for our region tonight

32 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Cool, shall have a look 

We’ve been in Sidmouth since Friday lunchtime and while it has been boringly cloudy/misty virtually the whole time (until 18.00 this evening which brought a lovely clearance from the South) I am pleased we have got lucky to only have a few mm of rain via showers yesterday and an hour or so of rain late morning today.

Wet this morning and early afternoon before the sun eventually came out later in the afternoon. Reached 21.1°C, currently 16.6°C

Another cloudy start.
A low of 17c at 6am, now 18..2c
Very light winds, 2-4mph. Overnight NE to Easterly, but now turned to SW. 1007.8 hPa

Nice for the garden to finally have some rain, Thu 0.6mm, Fri 1.9mm, Sat 3.4mm and Sun 8.6mm
Taking August Monthly rain to 14.8mm

A low of 14.9°C last night, making it the first comfortable night in over a week. 

Hearing 'shotgun' thunder this morning, from that cell just off the Coast if Selsey. Lightning maps doesn't appear to be picking up every strike, so likely an elevated storm. 

Currently 16.5°C, winds light and variable.

Edited by Dean E

Finally a sunny morning after a cooler night, down to 14.4C.

Can see towers over Wales way and strikes confirmed there already.

Missed all the showers this morning at home although I did go through one on the way to Southampton not long ago which was fairly heavy. 

Stunning view looking NW from a farm shop between Exeter and Sidmouth! Have watched this develop from a small TCu over the last half hour.

0CD95624-06D6-4F1E-AF6B-EF2326D26A3C.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Andrew_WSM said:

Thunder here in Weston and crazy heavy rain.

Roads have loads of standing water on them, hope the drains can cope with this torrential rain. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Smartie said:

Roads have loads of standing water on them, hope the drains can cope with this torrential rain. 

Watching that cell.  Travelling up the Bristol Channel coast, looks impressive with regards to what was expected today.  

Trying to configure it's route and whether it will affect me or not.

• Like 1

Thunderstorm in Weston-super-Mare,  can hear the thunder, but didn't see any lightning. 

8.8mm and still raining!

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 1

It's quite a messy storm this one, but it's just arrived here near Bristol Airport and the rain is pouring down. No new thunder in the last 5 mins.

4 minutes ago, MP-R said:

It's quite a messy storm this one, but it's just arrived here near Bristol Airport and the rain is pouring down. No new thunder in the last 5 mins.

I've come to the conclusion that east Bristol is all clear, with cells either side of me, so glad I'm not missing much.  😁

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, AWD said:

I've come to the conclusion that east Bristol is all clear, with cells either side of me, so glad I'm not missing much.  😁

Yes all quite brief and seems to be weakening again.

Rumble of thunder heard to my SW.

Edit - Much louder and closer rumble heard now.

Edited by AWD

Huge crack of thunder just now, almost overhead (BS34). First rain of the day falling. It threatened earlier, at about 10 this morn, but never materialised. Then we've had hot sun, with cloud, since late morning.

Edited by Bristle boy

Sat in my garden in warm sunshine hearing frequent, loud rumbles of thunder close by.  All very surreal.

Edited by AWD