South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/06/2020 Onward

1 minute ago, offerman said:

This doesn't make sense .

on the radar it's moving southwest to northwest but outside here the cloud are moving East to west in stark contrast to what the radar is showing !!! 

Well it's great that you can tell, slate grey here!

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'll like this one.... Some kids were camping over in the Downton meadows last night. Packing up in the rain this morning, we watched them bag their rubbish up, then chuck it in the trees. I shouted

My poor attempt at taking photos of lightning with the phone! 

Just missed out in frome again , but took a short a short stroll  to a good vantage point and caught  funnel cloud 

Posted Images

26.6mm to five minutes ago since 10.00 this morning.  Sun's out now!

Very shallow rainbow out over Sherborne as the squall line cleared.

P1050481 (800x600).jpg

• Like 2

A nice lightning strike reading,  as it neared us..

image.thumb.png.51f582c0184e87a93d2cdfe7e8de289f.png

Following the strike pattern as shown on this it was to my south (my place is the triangle at the top), it chased across the beach area..image.thumb.png.41e78352e08c677bf8e0365503ac85a6.png

• Like 1

Fantastic clearance with anvils moving slowly to the East and now warm sunshine ! Scudding low fractal stratocumulus racing East to West out of the storm into the clear sky and the very edge of the anvil is overhead and it’s still drizzling. 

47EF50C2-98A2-4873-8706-FAF28FB6B2E2.jpeg

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

The driveway is flooded.

The kitchens flooded. The small leak we already knew about turned into quite a big leak during that rain. 

11.6mm fell in less than 10 minutes. 

• Like 1

Wow what a crazy hour that was torrential rain slowed A303 down to snail pace thunder that rumbled so loud shook the house and lightning like I have never seen, now sat in total silence after last lightning must have hit something very near by horrendous  bang and now power cut. On a good note sun has now pooped his head out again.

Edited by nettie
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

As posted in the storm thread.. biblical rainfall. 18mm in 10 mins. 411.4mm/hr rain rate. 70 lightning strikes recorded but I didn't see or hear any.

Edited by Mapantz

101 measured strikes in 3 hours, with a peak of measure at 39 per min, heard thunder but as I was looking north for most of the time and the major amount of strikes was to the south then nothing visual. rainfall was definitely less around 2mm/min for 4.5mins as the main area broke apart as it crossed us..as the scond image shows me perfectly placed inn the gap

image.thumb.png.ab09181b68254020b379e25d2289553d.png

image.thumb.png.7ad6e40ae1f83eef30df8168d7c1e4cc.png

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Well what a thoroughly odd day!

Glorious sunshine then cloudy this morning, heavy rain then thunderstorms this afternoon, a rapid clearance with low cloud racing out of the storm, sunny for a few hours then dull and misty until 19.00 since when there’s been bright sun and now clear sky again!

Also and not least it’s been the coolest August day since I began recording temperatures in 2005, just 14.7c maximum!

• Like 1

Ok so adding to that weird day , did anyone over Longleat , Cley Hill direction then Warminster yo Westbury see two clusters of UFOs flying over at10.20pm last night ?   So bizarre yet amazing . Would be nice to know if anyone saw them too.  

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, offerman said:

Ok so adding to that weird day , did anyone over Longleat , Cley Hill direction then Warminster yo Westbury see two clusters of UFOs flying over at10.20pm last night ?   So bizarre yet amazing . Would be nice to know if anyone saw them too.  

Were they all in a line?

2 hours ago, offerman said:

Starlink? Get used to it, they want 40,000 up there.

Morning All, a clear morning and somewhat fresher start to the day, the view our over the channel shows some early morning activity from the surfers trying to grab a wave...and the background shows some early morning instability... currently (and the overnight low) 12.3°C at: 06:18, RH95 %, Humidex 14.3°C. Radar shows a peppering of showers over the Cornwall, Devon and Somerset area moving progressively eastwards as the whole of Southern England sits under a yellow warning from the Met Office for Thunderstorms today..

image.thumb.png.70d82f1a99367b65d8f2593e0dd4c493.png

• Like 1

Didn't expect a thunderstorm yesterday but had one after lunch. Some very heavy rain with it although not quite as intense as a few miles further south or further east as that feature developed further. About 12mm in an hour and 22.1mm in the manual rain gauge was the daily total.

About 10 rumbles at least, Lightning was close with some quite bright flashes, and loud crashes. I was working outside in it which was fun lol.

8 hours ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Starlink? Get used to it, they want 40,000 up there.

Its worth keeping an eye out for Starlink launches as they are spectacular on a clear evening.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Rich_Clements said:

Its worth keeping an eye out for Starlink launches as they are spectacular on a clear evening.

According to Elon Musk he says they should become less visible once in orbit, based on the work they are doing to "hide" them, quote:

"We are taking some key steps to reduce satellite brightness btw. Should be much less noticeable during orbit raise by changing solar panel angle & all sats get sunshades starting with launch 9."(April 2020)

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

According to Elon Musk he says they should become less visible once in orbit, based on the work they are doing to "hide" them, quote:

"We are taking some key steps to reduce satellite brightness btw. Should be much less noticeable during orbit raise by changing solar panel angle & all sats get sunshades starting with launch 9."(April 2020)

I watched a couple during lockdown and you really had to know what you were looking for so I think they achieved that.