South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/06/2020 Onward

Not much doing here. Might catch the squally bit at the end.

Put some grass seed down earlier, in anticipation of some decent rainfall.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'll like this one.... Some kids were camping over in the Downton meadows last night. Packing up in the rain this morning, we watched them bag their rubbish up, then chuck it in the trees. I shouted

My poor attempt at taking photos of lightning with the phone! 

Just missed out in frome again , but took a short a short stroll  to a good vantage point and caught  funnel cloud 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, MP-R said:

Looks like that rain is a good six hours ahead of itself. Was expecting it to be dry until at least the afternoon.

The BBC forecasts yesterday evening/night were all portraying this as rain moving into central southern areas around late afternoon. It started here at 12:30pm. Another poor forecast at relatively short-range, although I am not sure at what point they may have updated it.

6 minutes ago, Smartie said:

Just heard thunder, didn't see any lightning though.

Glad I wasn't imagining it! Trying to work out where it came from as the sky is uniform grey lol.

Just now, CheesepuffScott said:

Got a bit of hail mixed in here.

I was wondering about that. I looked out towards Clearbury and it had nearly vanished.

Radar looks tasty to the SW.

image.thumb.png.fac72fd16959dc3c50c88fb51cfb662c.png

Sparking up a bit too.

That was some squal line. Plymouth is in chaos. Flooding everywhere, 3 foot deep in places in Keyham. All main roads into the City off A38 are closed or partly closed. The roof has collapsed at Dunhelm Mill, Asda closed for major flooding damage. 

Flooding in Mount Gould, Devonport, Keyham, Prince Rock, Laira where I am, City Centre and Camels Head.

Police on the point of declaring major incident.

This rain is pretty torrential out there. Really drumming away on the roof. Dead still though - very tropical vibes if not for the temperature.

30 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Unexpected thunderstorm in Exeter over the past 15-20 minutes.

Heading along the South Coast, nice little hook:

IMG_20200827_145725.thumb.jpg.7fb1caadd58f59d75531f8dc2a640ee8.jpg

@Mapantz will be amongst it now.  Dorset storm shield temporarily breached?

Torrential rain and thunderstorm here for last half hour.  Stair rod rain.

Finally some action for the storm starved south coast! Looks like a interesting feature running East.

Couldn’t make it up, mid afternoon on 27th August it’s only 14.1c yet there’s thundery weather. Have heard several long rumbles but not seen any lightning.

Edit, I have now!

Edited by Andy Bown
  • Thanks 1

Well this is all very dramatic and unexpected! Thunder, lightning and torrential rain from an amazing squall line paired with very cool temperatures for the time of year at only 14.5 C 

29 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Couldn’t make it up, mid afternoon on 27th August it’s only 14.1c yet there’s thundery weather. Have heard several long rumbles but not seen any lightning.

Edit, I have now!

Hi Andy 

couldnt have put that post any better. 

So how come we get storms with only 14 yet with 35c and 8 days severe weather warnings received nothing .

Snap as well Andy been watching from mums with my boy.  Not at home so no cams. 

Intense rain lots flashes ! 

This doesn't make sense .

on the radar it's moving southwest to northwest but outside here the cloud are moving East to west in stark contrast to what the radar is showing !!!