Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/06/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted

34.2°C at 5.10pm was the high today. Second warmest on record for my station and only 0.2°C off that record!

NE winds really do deliver for my location and the last 2 days are no exception. Incredible setup! 

Sea breezes are expected here again tomorrow and for the rest of the week, cannot wait!

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Max at 28.2°C her today.  Cloud cover took most of the morning to clear and the temperature was only 20.1°C at noon.  Skies very milky at times and some alto cumulus this pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just like yesterday the temperatures rising again and it’s now the warmest part of the day. 31.2°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Not a bad day, 31.1°C max, although it took its time to warm up. It tried to warm up again after falling, but only got to 30.7°C

Currently 28.7°C

Posted
3 minutes ago, suxer said:

Hi everyone 

Where's knocker these days?

UKWW.

Cracking weekend. Beautiful evening.

• Thanks 1

Posted

28.1 °C max here today, so over a couple of degrees down on yesterday - low cloud to start which soon cleared to a mix of high and mid level cloud with plenty of sunny spells. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Reached 31.4°C today so not quite as high as yesterday but not far off. Another warm evening now. 26.9°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

24.0°C here, RH 76%

I notice the MO forecast video on their YouTube has thunderstorms/showers breaking out over the region from the early morning, but it seems to be more concentrated further west into the Midlands, and they only look intense further north. Stays dry and sunny on the website forecast for here.

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers
fbimg.php?is_home=0&is_front_page=0&obje
WWW.ISLANDECHO.CO.UK

Super smashing great! A staggering 36.1c was recorded on the Isle of Wight today (Sunday) - breaking yesterday’s record of 35.4c. If you’ve been thinking that it was hotter today than the past 48 hours then...

I think our local press have turned into the Express apparently it was 36.1 on the IOW today I don’t believe it for a second!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All types
18 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

24.0°C here, RH 76%

I notice the MO forecast video on their YouTube has thunderstorms/showers breaking out over the region from the early morning, but it seems to be more concentrated further west into the Midlands, and they only look intense further north. Stays dry and sunny on the website forecast for here.

we are in the yellow warming  for thunderstorms tomorrow and Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday

Edited by Tom dewey likes thunder
  • Like 1

Posted

Another very warm day but cooler than forecast despite full sun with a max of 26.8C here at 14:57. A little earlier than I thought it would be, I suspect we were seeing slightly cooler than expected air due to that low cloud that took a while to burn off north of here.

Currently 19.9C, different world to Portsmouth

Although it's still very warm-hot here, it seems we just aren't going to get enough of a NE-ENE pull here to advect the proper hot stuff you are seeing further east. Boundary will be in Dorset for 6 days in a row it seems! Rare opportunity missed with the offshore winds and kind of a shame to miss out on experiencing/recording that.

Though afterwards I'd probably be glad of a cool down and more pleasant mid 20's temps 

It does seem mission impossible to get past 30C here these days. 

Oh well, hopefully we don't miss all the thundery activity.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Dean E said:

34.2°C at 5.10pm was the high today. Second warmest on record for my station and only 0.2°C off that record!

NE winds really do deliver for my location and the last 2 days are no exception. Incredible setup! 

Sea breezes are expected here again tomorrow and for the rest of the week, cannot wait!

Every summer it is so frustrating, why don’t TV forecasts predict the highest temperatures along the south coast when a NE or E breeze, both BBC and ITV are useless.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Today has really been quite an incredible day on the Island, a few areas on the island might of even had there highest ever temperature's recorded locally, including my location. Here is a top 5 list and a map of all the islands temperature's from Today. 2 of the stations that were showing 36'c, one is ran by us the Isle of Wight Met Service, and the other is a different station very close which isn't ours. Even right now the Temperature has gone back up to 27.4'c after being 26.1 about half an hour ago.

Here we have the top 5 list for the main areas on the island it self

image.thumb.png.3a35a454f9da74522300557311653035.png

Here is the map of all the the stations on the island

image.thumb.png.cab4a4e1b83f31bee00f065c86d02d4b.png

For a time the winds were E to ESE, then suddenly they turned South, causing a mad FOHN effect and a sudden rise in temperature as all the hot air sunk down off of Shanklin downs. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Thanks for the update @Stormyking. Can any of those qualify as an official reading in the eyes of the Met Office? At least the one run by the Isle Of Wight Met Service...?

That’d be a UK max for today and one over 35 to boot (could be significant if Mon-Wed all make it to 35+ somewhere).

• Like 1

Posted

Warm and muggy once again, tonight. 21.4°C

Posted
17 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Thanks for the update @Stormyking. Can any of those qualify as an official reading in the eyes of the Met Office? At least the one run by the Isle Of Wight Met Service...?

That’d be a UK max for today and one over 35 to boot (could be significant if Mon-Wed all make it to 35+ somewhere).

Im not entirely sure which ones are to be honest, but I know they report to Met office WOW. Also the Lake one is a Vantage pro 2 station and is set up properly too :). 

I know the one official one they do have on the island, is at St Catherine's lighthouse, which is in a really exposed area though.

Really is exceptional this heat the last few days so far, sleeping is hard though 

Edited by Stormyking
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Thanks @Stormyking. I expect it comes down to whether the weather stations use a Stevenson screen and are situated far enough away from surrounding buildings and vegetation.

I’ve long wondered why the Met Office only put one of theirs on that southern tip of the island. It more or less has a separate climate to mainland England, for example it’s nearly always the coolest spot in the Southeast region in summer and mildest spot in winter.

Y’know what, it must be there to make those elsewhere feel better about their local climate .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well today reached a very temperate 26C so the heatwave still hasn't quite kicked off in this neck of the woods yet. I actually went west today with family to North Devon and it cleared beyond Lynmouth so had a sunny if rather hazy day there, but cloud didn't fully disappear until beyond 2pm back home.

Will need at least 2 days of full sun to make this spell noteworthy here.

• Like 1

Posted

The temperature was dropping a bit quicker than it did last night but has slowed significantly in the last hour. 23.8°C

Posted
2 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Thanks @Stormyking. I expect it comes down to whether the weather stations use a Stevenson screen and are situated far enough away from surrounding buildings and vegetation.

I’ve long wondered why the Met Office only put one of theirs on that southern tip of the island. It more or less has a separate climate to mainland England, for example it’s nearly always the coolest spot in the Southeast region in summer and mildest spot in winter.

Y’know what, it must be there to make those elsewhere feel better about their local climate .

I know what you mean, which surprises to me why they never put any stations anywhere else on the island, as its such a diverse place with temperatures. There are so many massive hills, valleys, massive countryside. And then you have places like Newport and Ryde that are more built up and has a similar sorta feel to mainland England. 

One of the reasons we started up Isle of Wight met service, was so we can forecast the island as a whole because of how hard it actually is to forecast the islands weather as a whole. I guess we just got fed up seeing BBC weather forecasts and met offices having like 30+'c in summer heat, or below freezing in winter across all of Southern England, but yet would always have the Island showing 3 or 4'c higher than anywhere else. But so so so many times most of the island would be at the exact same temperature as most of mainland England sometimes colder or hotter. The areas on the island that would have temperature's being milder during winter and cooler during the summer, is normally due to the wind direction. Say if there is a SW or S Wind in a hot summer spells, the far South and West Coast will always be cooler, but then go inland and towards Eastern parts, temperature's would be much higher. St Catherine's is in one of those areas where it is prone to most win directions, straight off the sea too. 

So yeah I think your right, set up the station in the worst most boring spot on the island, no wander they always get our weather wrong 

Anyway still 25.4 here 

• Like 3