Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/06/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and crisp

Front seems to be slow moving so prob get it right in the middle of the night if lucky. At least if slow moving will last longer hopefully

hit 31.4 today and still 24ish 

Edited by AcceptedPlanet

Posted

Looking very interesting to the south of IOW. Will local cells fire as the system approaches? This is common during these types of setups, especially on the eastern side of the IOW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Can see flashes looking west towards the bristol channel. 

Edited by Smartie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

This is a gif of the first one I posted in the storm thread 

Or not as it didn’t work 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundersnow

Absolutely chucking it down here in Ilminster ??????????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just started raining here but looks like it'll be nothing more than that at the moment. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Humidity really feels like it’s built in the last half an hour here in Frome.

Skies gradually turning that orange thundery looking tinge , whether anything comes from the band heading up  time will tell. 

Posted
14 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Just started raining here but looks like it'll be nothing more than that at the moment. 

Came to nothing

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ashme said:

Came to nothing

It's not far off that here although there is something a bit heavier approaching if it makes it 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

21.3°C RH 67%
rain approaching from the south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I saw a couple of very distant flashes of lightning from a cell that sprouted up over Dartmoor, but it was too far away to have any realistic chance of hearing the thunder. 

I felt a bit cheated when every run of the GFS until today's 12Z showed a band of heavy, almost certainly thundery, showers over Exeter between 0 and 3am, and then on the 12Z it had vanished completely.  The 18Z does show some potential again, mainly at 3-6am, but again not as strong as on previous runs. 

However, rather ironically there are some intensifying cells approaching from the north-western tip of France that have potential to produce something along the lines of the earlier GFS forecasts, should they intensify much further, so at present it's far too early to call this a bust.

Posted

Midnight temperature 22.0C here, last night's minimum was 19.4 which, is the highest I have recorded since at least 2013. Also equalled my highest maximum yesterday, 31.8.

And the rain approaches from the south, it will be interesting to see what it does to the temperature.

Posted

The rain also came to nothing here. Slightly cooler than this time last night but still a very warm night. 19.1°C

Posted
41 minutes ago, Tom dewey likes thunder said:

Wiltshire and Dorset and Somerset and North East Somerset and Gloucestershire is still the met office yellow warning for thunderstorms. 

That's because there's no one working this time of night at the Met to have changed it

Edited by Ashme
Spell check

Posted
11 hours ago, JackSilver2599 said:

Do you run Locks Heath NW by any chance? I always look at that station as it seems to be the only accurate one near Whiteley - those numbers look very familiar! I believe today was the hottest morning (any month) as well as the hottest June day in the station's history.

I do indeed! I deliberately located it on the maps 2 or 3 streets away from my actual address, can't remember why, but just so you know! And I can't move it without setting it up as a new station, so I won't. And yes, as mentioned above I had a record  24h minimum 19.4 and equal record maximum (any month) 31.8.

The midnight 'rain' passed over here without incident - just a few spots of rain that never made it from the funnel into the measuring cylinder lol. Currently a stifling 20.8 and 76% RH with zero wind.

Edited by DaveL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Much warmer tonight, only just dropped below 20°C at 2am. Rain didn’t make it to the ground here, just a breezy period...

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted
2 hours ago, DaveL said:

I do indeed! I deliberately located it on the maps 2 or 3 streets away from my actual address, can't remember why, but just so you know! And I can't move it without setting it up as a new station, so I won't. And yes, as mentioned above I had a record  24h minimum 19.4 and equal record maximum (any month) 31.8.

The midnight 'rain' passed over here without incident - just a few spots of rain that never made it from the funnel into the measuring cylinder lol. Currently a stifling 20.8 and 76% RH with zero wind.

Yes, as you say, maintaining an offshore wind seems to be the key to really high temperatures here, rather than the intensity of the heatwave. If I remember correctly the other time it got to 31.8C, we weren't in a particularly hot airmass, but just under high pressure with a northeasterly wind. Southamptonweather.co.uk also recorded an all time high today (since 2008), so we weren't alone (even though that station horribly overestimates sometimes!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

No surprise it was a complete bust for storms here.

Posted
1 hour ago, SteveB said:

No surprise it was a complete bust for storms here.

We possibly fared slightly better but not a lot as the Northward movement out of France last night then veered eastwards, providing some distant lightning but not for long and was really only visible down on the beach..Overnight low was 16.7°C at: 03:54 and currently 18.3°C. Rainfall overnight was just enough to see it did rain but not enough to measure it..breeze now in from the SW (a more traditional home for it!) 

image.thumb.png.907676e63f67add8319c7de628dff4b4.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Wonder what today holds, hoping for a bit of relief from the heat at least.... a storm wouldn't go a miss either 

• Like 2

Posted

The current satellite image shows the cloud has rolled in over us, also shows the storms still rumbling away over Suffolk..

.image.thumb.png.ee616eaba25e6e079a25f5a375477218.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Sadly no thunderstorms here last night.Don't think we had any rain either.

Temp 22C presently and feeling a bit fresher so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Overcast and 17°C here, certainly not the blue skies that was in yesterday's forecast.