Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/06/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Hmm did someone just pour a bucket of water into it?

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

haha probably!

Just had the first short downpour here, wonders will never cease!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

haha probably!

Just had the first short downpour here, wonders will never cease!

You've actually had rain? :shok:

Looks like that downpour you had is heading in this direction but it'll probably still find a way of missing

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

You've actually had rain? :shok:

Looks like that downpour you had is heading in this direction but it'll probably still find a way of missing

Yep!

It's the first one since I finished redoing the concrete all the way up to my pond. It would flood in a downpour and had nowhere to soak away, so I ripped it all up and carefully worked out all the levels so that the water runs all the way down to a drain near the back door. I also added guttering to a gazebo I built and ran a pipe out to the path, so that doesn't flood either. I shone the torch out during the downpour and it was a river coming down the path! No floods or puddles though, so I know I did a good job.  

• Like 3

Posted

As an idea of rain today, an empty (yesterday) wheelbarrow in the open has 2.5 inch of rainwater in it... That's about as scientific as I get

Edited by Snow Of '78
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Closing in on 50mm for the day, total now at 48.4mm and rising. Can't remember a day quite this wet for a while! And it looks like the pivot continues with more rain heading in from the west now.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Snow Of '78 said:

As an idea of rain today, an empty wheelbarrow in the open has 2.5 inch of rainwater in it... That's about as scientific as I get

You should get yourself a manual gauge or take the step of getting a cheap automated station. Once you get one set up and see your measurements coming in, you'll be hooked!

There's nothing cosier than being indoors on a stormy Autumn night and seeing your weather station display the rain and wind that's battering it.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, snow,
4 minutes ago, Somerset Squall said:

Closing in on 50mm for the day, total now at 48.4mm and rising. Can't remember a day quite this wet for a while! And it looks like the pivot continues with more rain heading in from the west now.

Far enough east for the rain band  to clear slowly this evening before possibly circulating back here overnight briefly. Pretty much continous rain all day. Measured 31.6 mm here today, wettest day this year according to my station.

With Tuesday and Wednesday storms, totalled 57mm for past three days. Garden is appreciating it though!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Fun fact 1: On average, June is my driest month of the year.

Fun fact 2: Today is the wettest day I've recorded this year, and the wettest day since 11th October 2019.

Today's total 32.6mm is the wettest June day here since 25th June 2007 which recorded 42.2mm. Funnily enough, 19th June 2007 is the next wettest after today at 31.2mm, but that fell in about as many minutes!

Conclusion: it can gladly not rain for the rest of the month!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Oh! It’s just before midnight and a heavy shower is rattling through, seems to be the heaviest I’ve heard all day.

Posted

The drizzles returned 

Posted

It's actually started raining here :shok:

• Like 1

Posted

Reviewing the radar suggests it stopped for a few hours overnight but it’s pouring again now, more standard direction of travel too. I’m not going to bother checking my gauge until it stops later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Morning all, it’s a wet start to the day and the breeze has picked up overnight. 11.7°C

Posted

Woke up yesterday, raining. Went to bed, raining. Woke up this morning, raining!! Looks like there were some short spells where the rain stopped overnight but pretty much a solid 24 hours of rain which seems to be fizzling now after around 60mm overall from the system.

Posted

Had some rumbles of thunder on Wednesday from a storm that formed a few miles away as it drifted off while we remained in sunshine.

Yesterday looked like we finally had a chance of something overhead here, but the rain band was further south so it was rather wet instead.. some heavier embedded showers and convection still, but the most intense ones managed to go either side and all around here.. so normal service in that respect. Just a mile away had a torrential downpour with lots of surface water but that only clipped here.

Still pretty wet, but not as high as some totals locally and what people are reporting on here. Yesterday 27.6mm, today so far 7.6mm.

Exeter Airport and many personal stations around here have recorded over 50mm

Posted

A nice damp start to the morning, helping top us the water levels in the area, which is good as there were some early "conserve water" warnings a couple of weeks back, so this is really good a soaking rain, with 3.6mm top up so far today..The temperature is hovering around the overnight low, currently 12.8°C.Breaks in the cloud out over the channel, clearly seen below

image.thumb.png.98bf7e9ac0c088cc6cca368b8bdaaf69.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

That rain is lingering like a bad smell. Seriously... sod off!

Posted

Off to Southampton. Rain has stopped. The stations in the village only recorded 5/6mm since midnight, again not sure on accuracy.

FDA731A9-447B-4F1E-9A97-C93502675246.thumb.jpeg.60fb3710cf47afac20ed3025aa393d73.jpeg
The ppn rate around midnight is represented well though (heavy downpour), apart from that its been rather steady, light rain.

Edited by CheesepuffScott