Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/06/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
12 hours ago, offerman said:

Hi Andy,

i thought exactly the same as you about the daughter cell and what a carbon copy of what happened yesterday when it looked like it was going to miss us! 

I saw the three CG strikes too that you and Fromey mentioned. Heres one of them and ill look on my other camera later and see if it did catch  any too. 

These two were toward cley hill warminster way. 

BD127CDC-D078-4707-A91C-080341CF1831.png

4E57A3AB-4F34-40DC-A4D2-5B8C050B1850.png

The first picture above (although may be a bit too far over?) struck Deep Lane in Corsley near the Church which is about 500m from me. I had my head out of the window at the time and the noise was incredible - real shotgun thunder almost instantly. Even at that distance it is still well over 90 decibels

Another similar about a minute before struck the top of Blackdog Hill on the A36, and another struck closer to Frome.

Edited by chapmanslade

Posted
31 minutes ago, dec10snow said:

Checking stations across town, looks like we’ve had 40mm+ so far and currently belting down still as I type... doesn’t look like any let up soon either judging by the radar. Can’t remember the last 40mm+ day we’ve had, let alone the 50mm+ it’ll probably be by the end of the day.

One of the wettest summer days I remember 

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Still raining here, seems to be going one way and then coming back again.  Measured 9.3mm to 16.00 (from 10.00), may venture out and check again when it's the full 12 hours!

Posted

Not a drop of rain here today and none on horizon from any forecasts.

Next weeks forecast for sunny temps have had an uplift during the day, 23-28c next week. .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Had some torrential rain alternating with lighter spells. Had 38.0mm of rain so far, so soggy is an understatement!! To think this now after such  a dry May.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Lyn-M said:

Still raining here, seems to be going one way and then coming back again.  Measured 9.3mm to 16.00 (from 10.00), may venture out and check again when it's the full 12 hours!

A time lapse of the radar suggests it is moving back towards us, so we may get some more welcomed rainfall yet..as next week is looking somewhat drier and warmer, the plants will appreciate a good soaking..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
1 hour ago, chapmanslade said:

The first picture above (although may be a bit too far over?) struck Deep Lane in Corsley near the Church which is about 500m from me. I had my head out of the window at the time and the noise was incredible - real shotgun thunder almost instantly. Even at that distance it is still well over 90 decibels

Another similar about a minute before struck the top of Blackdog Hill on the A36, and another struck closer to Frome.

Hi chapmanslade 

that's great, really appreciate the correction of locations. 

I found a couple more on my other camera of the ones you mentioned . I'll try post those later too if I can . 

Back to the rain .  It's been relentless for us here today in frome chapmaslade Warminster westbury areas and still going strong 

I snapped the radars through the day from 2 

id love to know our local rainfall totals. Fromey do you measure these by any chance ? 

8A11C0D8-268D-471F-90A7-329D0C7C1841.png

B925BBB6-6C7E-4D14-AA6B-FBD368C3092B.png

38F07D7C-FE93-45BF-994B-607F90B03AE7.png

BEA4278A-A775-444F-9D43-727157E764FA.png

15B4FAD6-FA30-48B7-A971-D96A3BA4C69F.png

D68DCCF9-6738-489D-A0E4-2000BD0058EC.png

95926FA1-5630-497E-82BB-BEF553AD3694.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Still no rain here, just dry and cloudy as it's been all day apart from the drizzle earlier in the afternoon

Posted

We may not have seen the forecast heavy showers/storms forecast today, but my the rain has been relentless since around 5am and hasn’t stopped since. Almost monsoon like out there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winter, hot summer

On the edge of the rain band here so it's been on and off all day. Just north and west of here has seen slot of rain today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The rain just never seems to get here, just like it did earlier in the other direction.

Posted

The last 12 hours of non stop rain have produced just shy of 25mm.

Posted
1 hour ago, offerman said:

Back to the rain .  It's been relentless for us here today in frome chapmaslade Warminster westbury areas and still going strong 

I snapped the radars through the day from 2 

id love to know our local rainfall totals. Fromey do you measure these by any chance ? 

I emptied 42mm out of my manual gauge at 19.00 simply because I feared it overflowing (holds 50mm) soon after.

I will check it again at 06.00 which will only be an hour or so beyond 24 hours since this rain started.

With the Tuesday evening and yesterday evening storms the last 48 hours have dumped 76mm!!!!

Edited by Andy Bown
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Up to 41.2mm for the day. Afrer a brief lull it is coming back again, not as heavy as earlier however, where my locale was under white echoes on the radar for about 2 hours!

• Like 1

Posted

Rain has been crazy today! We're currently at 37.4mm and it's still hammering it down! 

Have some very unhappy grumpy chickens even the slugs can't tempt them out  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
1 hour ago, Andy Bown said:

I emptied 42mm out of my manual gauge at 19.00 simply because I feared it overflowing (holds 50mm) soon after.

I will check it again at 06.00 which will only be an hour or so beyond 24 hours since this rain started.

With the Tuesday evening and yesterday evening storms the last 48 hours have dumped 76mm!!!!

Thanks Andy ,I knew we had more than 25 mm which is what mum said she saw on tv but locally I knew as it was monsoonal like bathweatherwatcher said too . 

Posted

Any moderate rain just fizzles out as it gets here. Just 2mm of drizzly rubbish today, taking the June total to a massive 23mm.

Posted

Just had a look at 5 stations across town; 58mm is the highest and 45mm the lowest readings. 3 out of the 5 are showing over 50mm... fair to say it’s been very very wet!!

Good job it’s been so dry the last couple of months otherwise these sorts of totals could cause real issues!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

:shok:

image.thumb.png.8881b5247323138caeb31701aa1a7b47.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
3 minutes ago, matt111 said:

:shok:

image.thumb.png.8881b5247323138caeb31701aa1a7b47.png

I don’t think it has been that much here, 15 miles south! Guess small distances make all the difference. Under 10mm on the 3 nearest PWSs around here, but not sure of accuracy.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

I don’t think it has been that much here, 15 miles south! Guess small distances make all the difference. Under 10mm on the 3 nearest PWSs around here, but not sure of accuracy.

It did seem a bit high compared to a lot of others nearby but there are some not far from it with similar numbers 

Posted

I always check the weather stations being used..

WWW.WUNDERGROUND.COM

Weather Underground provides local & long-range weather forecasts, weather reports, maps & tropical weather conditions for locations worldwide.

Davis VP2 on this one

• Like 1

Posted

This area sticks out like a sore thumb when you look at the rainfall totals on there 

Posted

If you look at the Brigmerston station, it was on 3.5mm at 6:59am, 5 minutes later it was at 69.3mm

• Like 2