Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Watson W8686 Clone of HP2550 Fine-Offset

Posted

I updated to firmware v1.6.9 from Ecowitt, all ok no problems. The name of the station is still W8686.

I wish the display was more 'instrument' like, less like an iPad app, less messy. So the data was presented more orderly, rather than in different sized fonts - some of which are almost too tiny to read! Could easily look more pro, and present data more clearly. Oh well you can't win them all.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers

I bought a Watson W8686 in January 2021 and it was very easy to set up.

My first PWS. It was recommended on another forum and really pleased with it.

Anyone know if the WH31 for the W8686 is 915M, 868M or 433M frequency?

Are there any guides as to what I need to do to update the firmware? And what are the consequences if any of not updating the firmware?

Edited by Chelmer Park

Posted
12 hours ago, Chelmer Park said:

I bought a Watson W8686 in January 2021 and it was very easy to set up.

My first PWS. It was recommended on another forum and really pleased with it.

Anyone know if the WH31 for the W8686 is 915M, 868M or 433M frequency?

Are there any guides as to what I need to do to update the firmware? And what are the consequences if any of not updating the firmware?

It will be either 868Mhz (most likely) or 433Mhz. 915Mhz should not be used in Europe as its reserved for Cell Phones/Mobile Networks

It might be written on the back of the Console or failing that go into settings and the about screen that shows the firmware versions will show what frequency model that you have. Once you know what frequency that the console is set to you can get additional sensors of the correct frequency,

Posted
1 hour ago, Mandrake said:

It will be either 868Mhz (most likely) or 433Mhz. 915Mhz should not be used in Europe as its reserved for Cell Phones/Mobile Networks

It might be written on the back of the Console or failing that go into settings and the about screen that shows the firmware versions will show what frequency model that you have. Once you know what frequency that the console is set to you can get additional sensors of the correct frequency,

Thanks Mandrake. It was written on the back of the console. 868M.

I've just had a look on Froggit.de and there isn't a UK or GB in the country dropdown list. Not sure if this is because of Brexit.

Edited by Chelmer Park

Posted
On 29/05/2020 at 21:27, etaf said:

I may put some pins around the rain trap to stop birds sitting on it, or tirewraps / fishing wire , have to look into that tomorrow too.

Hi etaf,

Did you manage to put some pins around your rain trap?

I'm curious how you did it as I have a W8686 too and am struggling to work out how to do that.

Thanks

Dave

Posted

I used just some tie wraps around 

I just deleted the photos the otherday, luckily they stay in deleted for 30days on photos app

The tie wraps i purchased in Lidl when they had an offer on for various sizes in a pack. Before lockdown.

two thicker ones around the rim and very thin ones sticking up - hopefully you can see the setup from the photo.

Never seen a bird near it since putup in may 

Screwfix/toolstation have various tie wraps available 

I chose black only because it matched the rest of the setup

1 - 1 (10).jpeg

Edited by etaf
  • Like 1

Posted

i also lost the sd card inside the machine last year, there is a hole next to the slot nd its so easy to push the card into the gap at the side !!!!!!! so beware 

Its still in the bottom of the case 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, etaf said:

I used just some tie wraps around 

I just deleted the photos the otherday, luckily they stay in deleted for 30days on photos app

The tie wraps i purchased in Lidl when they had an offer on for various sizes in a pack. Before lockdown.

two thicker ones around the rim and very thin ones sticking up - hopefully you can see the setup from the photo.

Never seen a bird near it since putup in may 

Screwfix/toolstation have various tie wraps available 

I chose black only because it matched the rest of the setup

1 - 1 (10).jpeg

That's a great idea. I would never had thought of that.

Thanks for the tip on the SD card too. I haven't had the need to use one yet.

Posted

Sadly for now you cannot purchase from Froggit due to Brexit, though fingers crossed they may sort that out and allow UK folks to purchase again.

Only option for the additional sensors and bits is now direct from Ecowitt the master manufacturer brand.

On my station I have ecowitt's own bird spike kit. They sell 2 types a small one for the Bi/Tri wing sensor array and a slightly larger one for the standalone rain sensor. Or of course you can make up a home made solution, there is not a lot in it TBH! I know some folks have purchased a spare black collector and glued pins or wires on as deterrents.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

You can reset the external sensor array and also re-register the sensor array with the console.

That should resolve the issue unless you have a faulty external sensor array.

The manual that explains all can be found here:

https://osswww.ecowitt.net/uploads/20200921/c22d73bcd5522cda0d266cb8a9d1b4dd.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Received my Watson 8686 a few weeks ago and got it up and running without any problems. very pleased with data so far!!

However last night at around 3.30am I got reading of 29.9c for around an hour. My location is London. And ideas what might have caused this or has anyone else had a similar situation ??

Thanks

Posted
On 06/03/2021 at 13:24, Ghibli said:

Received my Watson 8686 a few weeks ago and got it up and running without any problems. very pleased with data so far!!

However last night at around 3.30am I got reading of 29.9c for around an hour. My location is London. And ideas what might have caused this or has anyone else had a similar situation ??

Thanks

Hard to say but first things, have you updated the system firmware (via SDCard) and also the wifi Firmware (via WSView app on a smartphone) ?

The latest System Firmware is V1.6.9 and can be downloaded here>

https://osswww.ecowitt.net/uploads/20201107/HP2551_V1.6.9.zip

Some of the earlier firmware had some random issues so just checking that you have done the updates?

• 4 months later...

Hi, 

First time posting so apologies if this is the wrong place.

I have had the Watson W8686 for about 3 months now and has all been working fine. However, today the rain gauge doesn't seem to be reporting properly. I've checked the unit for leaves etc and the tipping unit seems to be tipping ok. When I tip it manually it registers 0.3mm rainfall on my console. However, today it has absolutely hammered down with rain and my console is showing nothing (apart from 0.3mm from when I tipped it myself). What's going on?! 

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated! 

Chris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
On 08/03/2021 at 17:55, Mandrake said:

Hard to say but first things, have you updated the system firmware (via SDCard) and also the wifi Firmware (via WSView app on a smartphone) ?

The latest System Firmware is V1.6.9 and can be downloaded here>

https://osswww.ecowitt.net/uploads/20201107/HP2551_V1.6.9.zip

Some of the earlier firmware had some random issues so just checking that you have done the updates?

Hi Chris. I have the Watson W8686 I currently have firmware V1.6.9, but recently I've had an issue whereby the weather forecast symbol in the bottom right is stuck on sun and cloud 24/4 do you know how to clear this issue?

Posted
On 28/07/2021 at 14:18, CDP said:

Hi, 

First time posting so apologies if this is the wrong place.

I have had the Watson W8686 for about 3 months now and has all been working fine. However, today the rain gauge doesn't seem to be reporting properly. I've checked the unit for leaves etc and the tipping unit seems to be tipping ok. When I tip it manually it registers 0.3mm rainfall on my console. However, today it has absolutely hammered down with rain and my console is showing nothing (apart from 0.3mm from when I tipped it myself). What's going on?! 

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated! 

Chris

If everything else from your all in one sensor is updating OK, wind. temp, solar output etc then I would suspect that either the tipper is 'sticky' or you have a failure.

I personally have had an issue one summer where the bucket someho got coated ins something sticky and effectively glued the bucket in place. Whenever I checked and manually tipped the bucket it registered as OK but then 'stuck' itself again. Fortunely with a bit of WD40 around the hinges I managed to resolve the issue and its been fine since.

In your case however it is possible for the rain gauge to have failed and you will have to investigate to establish that.

One other option that you have is to reset the outdoor sensor. You will find a pin hole on the underneath to do that and once done you may need to reregister the outdoor sensor with your console again.

Posted
37 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Hi Chris. I have the Watson W8686 I currently have firmware V1.6.9, but recently I've had an issue whereby the weather forecast symbol in the bottom right is stuck on sun and cloud 24/4 do you know how to clear this issue?

You are running a very old version of the firmware. I strongly suggest that you update the console firmware via SD card as soon as possible. The current version is 1.7.4

https://osswww.ecowitt.net/uploads/20210702/user.bin

Once done then investigate to see if this has resolved your issue

Edited by Mandrake
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mandrake said:

You are running a very old version of the firmware. I strongly suggest that you update the console firmware via SD card as soon as possible. The current version is 1.7.4

https://osswww.ecowitt.net/uploads/20210702/user.bin

Once done then investigate to see if this has resolved your issue

Thanks. I shall download now.

8 hours ago, Mandrake said:

If everything else from your all in one sensor is updating OK, wind. temp, solar output etc then I would suspect that either the tipper is 'sticky' or you have a failure.

I personally have had an issue one summer where the bucket someho got coated ins something sticky and effectively glued the bucket in place. Whenever I checked and manually tipped the bucket it registered as OK but then 'stuck' itself again. Fortunely with a bit of WD40 around the hinges I managed to resolve the issue and its been fine since.

In your case however it is possible for the rain gauge to have failed and you will have to investigate to establish that.

One other option that you have is to reset the outdoor sensor. You will find a pin hole on the underneath to do that and once done you may need to reregister the outdoor sensor with your console again.

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate you taking the time to reply. I’ll give the Wd40 a go, check my firmware is up to date and then try the rest option. One of those has got to work!

• 10 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snow. https://www.tamworthweather.co.uk

Hey, v1.8.0 is the version i have on mine.

• Like 1

Posted
On 24/06/2022 at 18:05, Morning Rain said:

Hey, v1.8.0 is the version i have on mine.

Thanks for the reply.

If anyone else wants to upgrade, it can be downloaded here https://osswww.ecowitt.net/uploads/20220419/user_V1.8.0_20220418.zip

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

V1.8.1 has been released

Main changes are;

• OTA feature supported for WiFi modem. The feature can be edited on "about" page. OTA will be triggered when entering this page, and this feature needs WiFi modem firmware version to be v5.0.7 or later. Prior to this version, this feature is not supported.
  • Portuguese language is supported.   
  • Change Duetch text for SD card back up file: 
  •     Dewpoint -》 Taupunkt
  •     HeatIndex -》 Hitzeindex
  •     FeelsLike -》 Gefühlte Temperatur
  •     Abs. Leckage -》 Abs. Luftdruck
  •     Rel. Leckage -》 Rel. Luftdruck
  • Update French translation to be plural when more than one unit countered. like mins, heures, jours
  • WS90 Rain calibration supported.
  • Outdoor sensor type description for WH65/69 added.
  • WN34 calibration feature added. 
  • Default system start up time updated to 20220101.
  • Update feelslike calculation for correct temperature/humidity data source when ws90 sensor is at present. 
  • Change "Radiation compeansation" to "Temperature Compensaiton" wording.
  • Fix a bug for weather forecast. 
  • Special character supported on mini keyboard. 
  • Other system stability improvements. 

The upgrade can be downloaded to a Micro SDHC card here https://osswww.ecowitt.net/uploads/20220701/user_V1.8.1_20220630.zip

• 1 month later...
Posted

V1.8.5 has been released

Change log

• With WiFi modem firmware version after Pro5.0.8, the WU account setting for ambientweather has disabled. New account setup has be implemented. This dosesn't affect ecowitt customer.
  • Fix some spelling mistake for Portuguese Language for pressure, dewpoint, wind direction etc.
  • Data validation check for WS90 sensor added. This is to prevent console picking up data wrong.
  • Dual RTC clock introduced. If 32k external XTAL is not working, then  internal RC 32k timer clock will be switched over.  This is to enhance system stability.
  • NIST time update plane changed from once per day to once per two hours.
  • Timing check for data set in added in preventing from generating two data set in its data record.
  • Update a flash data entity for PiezoRain
  • Rain reset for week, month, year follow daily rain reset time at user's choice.
  • If a RTC crystal failed, a message of "The external 32768 crystal is abnormal!!!" message will be displayed.   

The upgrade can be downloaded to a Micro SDHC card here https://osswww.ecowitt.net/uploads/20220808/user_V1.8.5.zip

• 1 month later...
Posted

V1.8.6 is availabale for download

Changelog:
1. Optimized code about SD card storage

2. German translation modified:

•    10 MinWert -> 10 MinMittel
  •    Sensoren ID -> Sensor IDs
  •    Sensoren Namen&Daten -> Sensorübersicht

3. Czech translation modified:

•    Sunday -> Neděle