Netweather Homebrewers thread

Any homebrewers out there apart from @Snipper ?

Share your recipes, tips, set up pics, favourite suppliers, etc; either that, or I'll talk to myself.

Me and my homebrewing mate started all grain brewing in 2013.

We started of with a modified ice cooler mash tun, 70L stock pot, paella burner and plastic fermenters.

image.thumb.png.94e413e53ec649fc4533c05980e0048e.png

We burnt the kitchen table that day and were kicked outside from there on in.

Here's our last brew recipe... which was some time ago, due to the lockdown. We've brewed it before, racking some off into demi-johns while adding vanilla pods and chipotle chillies (not together) for the secondary fermentation.

image.thumb.png.6e5045887c4c38962a1d89e43e88ffc5.png

I use Graham Wheeler's free beer engine software for the calculations. Our numbers are pretty much spot on normally.

I'll post more recipes if there's any interest.

You can spend a lot of money on equipment but you don’t have to. You can get going for less than £50. Various brewing suppliers have brewing kits that can be bought or make up your own configuration.  

in addition to brew equipment is what to put the end result in. Bottles or barrel.

Here is a photo of my current brew in a Grainfather fermenter that is temperature controlled. Like many things in life the more you spend the easier it is to use and get a consistent good results. 

4A105FB5-0061-457A-99F1-317EA7BB328A.jpeg

We started bottling, but it was too time consuming. We now use CO2 pressurised corny kegs and a party tap.

Each brew day gives us 2 full kegs (1 each) and a few bottles.

1 hour ago, jtay said:

We started bottling, but it was too time consuming. We now use CO2 pressurised corny kegs and a party tap.

Each brew day gives us 2 full kegs (1 each) and a few bottles.

Trouble with kegs is you tend to drink even more. Also doesn’t suit some brews? When you are brewing something that is 6 or 7% or so I would tend to use 330ml bottles. 

My 11 year old grandson is fed up as he usually helps me to bottle. Social distancing has put a stop to that for the time being. 

Fortunately no syphoning involved with my fermenter just turn tap on and fill up with an auto stop at the end of the tube. There is the added advantage you can dump all the sediment prior to bottling. Grandson then lines the bottles up and puts the carbonation drop in.  I then cap them.  When done he washes and dries bottles and crates them up . A good team.  The spring top bottles are good but somewhat expensive. They make a loverly phut sounds when opened. 

I've also got a couple these as a happy medium. Mine hold 2L and you can condition the beer in them, as the seal is so tight.

image.png.0b3a75cade82d9bf669643fb7c349753.png

I can't say that we've brewed anything above 5.5% (A St Austell's Proper Job clone), so I haven't noticed any adverse effects.  My mate prefers weaker beers and I'm not fussed either way.

Have you got a type of hop that you prefer to use? I like the Kiwi hops.

We did a straightforward NZ Pale Ale a couple of years ago that turned out really well...

image.thumb.png.fee38d039bb1ed4aafcad07698032c43.png

I've been growing cascade and some wild hops in the garden for a few years, which we've been known to chuck in just before flame out.

28 minutes ago, jtay said:

I've also got a couple these as a happy medium. Mine hold 2L and you can condition the beer in them, as the seal is so tight.

image.png.0b3a75cade82d9bf669643fb7c349753.png

I can't say that we've brewed anything above 5.5% (A St Austell's Proper Job clone), so I haven't noticed any adverse effects.  My mate prefers weaker beers and I'm not fussed either way.

Have you got a type of hop that you prefer to use? I like the Kiwi hops.

We did a straightforward NZ Pale Ale a couple of years ago that turned out really well...

image.thumb.png.fee38d039bb1ed4aafcad07698032c43.png

I've been growing cascade and some wild hops in the garden for a few years, which we've been known to chuck in just before flame out.

On the whole I like a lower ABV so brew is more quaffable for more than a couple of glasses. But you need to try and see what is out there.  Having said that I have repeated a few kits.  

Coming back to brewing after very many years when my brews were not exactly brilliant, but I drank them anyway, has been a revelation.  Hops are now so varied in the flavours they impose. The different yeasts work so differently. 

As mentioned, in that other place, I tend to brew a kit.  So many out there.  It is a lot quicker getting a kit going than starting with the grain.  It takes quite a number of hours with the associated cleaning afterwards to a grain brew from the start.  

All a bit of an enjoyable learning curve. 

16 hours ago, Snipper said:

As mentioned, in that other place, I tend to brew a kit.  So many out there.  It is a lot quicker getting a kit going than starting with the grain.  It takes quite a number of hours with the associated cleaning afterwards to a grain brew from the start.  

All a bit of an enjoyable learning curve. 

Yeah, a brew day takes just over 6 hours, from heating the strike water to finishing the cleaning. 

We enjoy the day more than anything. We started as something to do when our other halfs went out together.

This is an excellent book if you like experimenting....

9780937381830.jpg
WWW.WATERSTONES.COM

Buy Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher from Waterstones today! Click and Collect from your local Waterstones or get FREE UK delivery on orders over £20.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, jtay said:

Yeah, a brew day takes just over 6 hours, from heating the strike water to finishing the cleaning. 

We enjoy the day more than anything. We started as something to do when our other halfs went out together.

This is an excellent book if you like experimenting....

9780937381830.jpg
WWW.WATERSTONES.COM

Buy Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher from Waterstones today! Click and Collect from your local Waterstones or get FREE UK delivery on orders over £20.

I will check out the book.

I am fortunate that I have converted our old garage into a very nice garden room with sink, hot water, worktops fridges and freezer.  Ideal for doing brewing well away from the house. I also cure and smoke meat and fish. Perfect man cave  

My son and his mates like doing a full brew. Good excuse to get together that includes my son doing his own recipe fried chicken and chips.  They have formed a brewing club to share the costs. 

The bottles the Brew Club uses have an interesting label. The labels for the bottles I use are a little more restrained. The labels don’t wash off when you prepare for refilling.

I use a Tilt to measure the specific gravity. Seems to work well using Bluetooth so you don’t have to open up the fermenter to check. Just look on your phone. 

Time to get on I suppose as I have a brew to bottle today.

2F21DF86-4CD9-4A4B-898E-DE6F7CC0194F.jpeg

Edited by Snipper

Ha. Just noticed the 'chimney'.

Yeah, I built a brew shed a couple of years ago. Will post some pics next week, when I'm back at my laptop.

• 4 weeks later...

Today for a bit of light relief from my exciting day staring at web pages produced by HMCR.

I sliced my home cured bacon. 

2E5A7383-B04A-4B1F-ABE3-2F4954E7D56D.jpeg

My old chief beer taster in the next village cures his own bacon.

He's never given us any, which is why he's no longer my chief beer taster.