I have a bit of a problem with my weather station.  This one is my second station and I had the same problem with the first.  A spider, yes I said a spider, keeps getting in to the rain gauge portion of the station and building a web.  This invariably stops the rain gauge from working.  Is there any way to keep spiders out of there?

Welcome to netweather,

I've had this issue a couple of times this spring aswell and have come to the conclusion that it's probably best to treat the mounting pole somehow to prevent them climbing up rather than the station itself. This probably wont work if theres anything nearby (can spiders jump?).

I've yet to come up with anything mind you so not much help I'm afraid.

It seems to be an issue year due to the long dry period we've had.

6 hours ago, RBrown said:

I have a bit of a problem with my weather station.  This one is my second station and I had the same problem with the first.  A spider, yes I said a spider, keeps getting in to the rain gauge portion of the station and building a web.  This invariably stops the rain gauge from working.  Is there any way to keep spiders out of there?

There are sprays that are supposed to repel spiders but how long they would last in the open air may be the problem.

• 1 month later...
On 18/05/2020 at 23:22, Norrance said:

There are sprays that are supposed to repel spiders but how long they would last in the open air may be the problem.

I have tried spraying flea treatment (insecticide) inside the workings of the rain gauge and that seems to work for a while.

I also note that the latest Ecowitt rain gauge has a spring filter that stops debris from entering though I am not sure if that would stop a small spider.