Advice Required: Best Value Weather Station

Hello

I've owned a number of weather stations over the years, and the one I currently have, an Acctim WeatherMaster only operates as a temperature sensor now, as all the other kit (anemometer,  hygrometer etc) all packed up.   I can seem to find anywhere that provide replacement parts for that model anymore, so I'm on the marker for a new system.

Looking on-line there is a multitude of options these days, many, I'm sure, will be cheap imitations of the better make's models. 

Which would you recommend for someone who takes a keen interest in weather and likes to know the latest data?

I want a system with at least 2 external wireless sensors.

Thanks,

Sussex Snow

When I created this thread, I hadn't found this sub-forum.  Now it's been moved here, I see there are many threads on specific weather station models.  I'll have a look through the existing threads to see if they help.

Having looked here and online,  the 'gold standard' is still the Davis range,  and these go up to £1000s for Pro setups.

However, there are a number of new players at lower prices.  

Youshiko seem to offer a similar 'range' but at much lower prices - are these any good?

Sainlogic and Bresser also have similar offerings...   

Anyone able to share their experiences of these kits?  Are they good value?

Thanks

As always, it depends on what you want to spend. If you can stretch to a Vantage vue then it's a solid mid-range option.

The lower priced stations all work but as you've found they dont tend to last long and then theres the issue of accuracy. I run a cheap Oregon station alongside my Davis VP2 as a backup and inside a good shelter its relatively accurate for temperature (with an offset) but for everything else it's pretty poor.

22 minutes ago, reef said:

As always, it depends on what you want to spend. If you can stretch to a Vantage vue then it's a solid mid-range option.

The lower priced stations all work but as you've found they dont tend to last long and then theres the issue of accuracy. I run a cheap Oregon station alongside my Davis VP2 as a backup and inside a good shelter its relatively accurate for temperature (with an offset) but for everything else it's pretty poor.

Thanks for the reply.   

Is this the full kit, or is there a more comprehensive version out there?

WWW.WEATHERSHOP.CO.UK

Genuine UK model. Save with bundle discounts on software/mounting pole options. Free UK delivery. Weather Shop - the UK's largest Davis retailer.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SussexSnow said:

Thanks for the reply.   

Is this the full kit, or is there a more comprehensive version out there?

WWW.WEATHERSHOP.CO.UK

Genuine UK model. Save with bundle discounts on software/mounting pole options. Free UK delivery. Weather Shop - the UK's largest Davis retailer.

Yes, but you'll need the weatherlink datalogger with it if you want to access the data on your computer.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Or, the Belfryboy USB clone. It'll do the same thing for a fraction of the price.

WP_20161204_19_39_14_Pro.jpg
BELFRYBOYWEATHERBITS.BLOGSPOT.COM

A blog about the belfryboy green dot logger clone for Davis weather sations

I can verify this, too.

Yep, had a few things from him in the past and they're top notch.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I had an Oregon Scientific WMR928NX weather station with a SkyView data logger from 2005 to 2016.  Back in 2005, Davis Instruments were only selling the somewhat more expensive Vantage Pro, but by 2016 they were selling the comparably priced Davis Vantage Vue plus Weatherlink, so when my WMR928NX packed in I went for that.  So far I have found the Davis station to be superior in many areas, especially the rain gauge (which measures to the nearest 0.2mm rather than 1mm, and is far less prone to undercatching), the relative humidity sensor (it's known to slightly overdo the relative humidity, but the WMR928NX vastly under-read) and the relatively few and far between outages.  A fairly recent paper in Weather also suggested that its temperature readings are generally accurate to within a couple of tenths of a degree.

So I can definitely recommend the Davis Vantage Vue if you can spare something in the area of £400-450 (I think I found mine slightly reduced at £419.99 back in 2016, which was £300 for the weather station and £120 for the WeatherLink).

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I had an Oregon Scientific WMR928NX weather station with a SkyView data logger from 2005 to 2016.  Back in 2005, Davis Instruments were only selling the somewhat more expensive Vantage Pro, but by 2016 they were selling the comparably priced Davis Vantage Vue plus Weatherlink, so when my WMR928NX packed in I went for that.  So far I have found the Davis station to be superior in many areas, especially the rain gauge (which measures to the nearest 0.2mm rather than 1mm, and is far less prone to undercatching), the relative humidity sensor (it's known to slightly overdo the relative humidity, but the WMR928NX vastly under-read) and the relatively few and far between outages.  A fairly recent paper in Weather also suggested that its temperature readings are generally accurate to within a couple of tenths of a degree.

So I can definitely recommend the Davis Vantage Vue if you can spare something in the area of £400-450 (I think I found mine slightly reduced at £419.99 back in 2016, which was £300 for the weather station and £120 for the WeatherLink).

Thanks,  good advice.  Looks like I'll be saving up for one of these then ?

Edited by SussexSnow
  • 1 month later...

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Fine Offset stations here.

They used to be fairly low end Maplin type kit, but have been steadily working there way up stream towards Davis these last few years.
Have a look at Ecowitt (Fine Offset commercial arm)

If you take a look at WXForum you will see its a very busy forum now with increasing numbers of good sensors available. They even have a SHT35 type temperature sensor available for their stations which Davis do not yet do.

About a year ago I posted a series of pictures and reviews on this forum around the HP2550. I would highly recommend that route and it will allow you to start cheap and build/add sensors as you want or can afford.

Posted (edited)

I'm no expert / pro but very happy with my Youshiko YC9385, bought 18 months ago. Have it on my garden fence and gives me some great information. It's probably a bit on the cheap side for the real pro's.

Edited by kUrGaN