Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Seventh consecutive day of thundery outbreaks warnings. This only verified on two days, last week, with moderate thunderstorms on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons. Guildford missed the heaviest rain and I only measured a paltry 0.3 mm on Wednesday 12th while nearby Wisley had 20 mm, and 6.6 mm on Thursday 13th while Alice Holt Forest area not too distant had 19 mm. Thunder was never too close or too loud and indeed, most of the 'discharges' did not even show up on the lightning detector. Despite 9 rumbles in 4 minutes on Wednesday 12th, only 3 strikes showed for a 10 minute period. No forked lightning was observed on either days. Although it was good to finally have some thunder after such an atrocious year to date, the novelty has soon worn off with the annoyance of unexpected severe storms just to the north of the area on Thursday evening followed by two days of dull, damp and miserable 'post-thunderstorm hangover' weather on Friday and Saturday. The persistent drizzle on Saturday was an additional nuisance. Despite warnings still in position there was absolutely no convective activity on these days with the usual resignation that there will be no storms again. The forecast for Saturday looked hopeful with the suggestion of 41 mm between 10 pm Saturday and 1 am Sunday forecast on one occasion. We got 0.6 mm falling as drizzle on Saturday morning and another 0.2 mm in the late morning. The surprise of seeing S.E. London have a 57 mm deluge on Saturday evening was not a pleasant one. Today, Sunday, has been just as frustrating with another hopeful area of rain moving north to yield about 0.5 mm and no thunder and only to explode over the north yet again! I am beginning to think 2020 is shaping up to be the most boring and frustrating year for weather and is now even worse than 2015. 

When the rain does arrive, it can be guaranteed to be small amounts over long periods. Even Atlantic depressions are a joke and waste of time with a day of drizzly rain, typically coinciding with planned outdoor activities which are ruined or have to be postponed or cancelled. Forecasts of 'nuisance' rain seem regarding timing seem to be set in stone days in advance especially if it is destined to coincide with a planned outdoor event , yet a thunderstorm outbreak or if this rain was a thundery setup or an interesting high total, failure can be guaranteed. 

Tomorrow is the last chance to have any thundery outbreaks before the Atlantic dross returns with more days of wind and silly nuisance bits of rain despite the synoptic map for Thursday suggesting what would once have been considered a decent situation for heavy and even thundery rain in the S.E. / central southern areas.  I don't hold out much hope for tomorrow and sure it will be another letdown with the usual northern areas experiencing the lion's share of the storms while Guildford and nearby areas miss out completely yet again.

I am also getting concerned as I go on holiday in September and long periods of dry weather often get get compensated. The local area must be the driest part of the UK at present especially after July's Atlantic dross just brought rubbish rainfall and I feel the wet weather compensation is due shortly. Firstly, I wish the washout could come now and not when I am in Cornwall as I don't enjoy trudging around the coast paths in blinding drizzle, wind and freezing temperatures. Secondly, I am fearful of missing the long awaited thunderstorm event at Guildford when away in Cornwall. Missing interesting events happening at home while on holiday has ruined many holidays in the past, especially with the knowledge that no one will bother taking notes about what I missed while I still have to write it up in my end of month report. The inevitable tedious long wait for a repeat and having to suffer months more of the kind of disappointments experienced in recent years adds to the annoyance, especially if the holiday weather is lacklustre and disappointing as well. After missing severe storms on 14th June 2014 and 15th/16th September 2016, the latter not really been repeated since, I really do not want to add 2020 to my list of over 40 major weather events missed while on holiday in the last 35 years or so. I really do not understand how I can be resident in Guildford on 348 days of the year (356 days this year) when it is an endless procession of let-downs, busts and seeing other areas get all the storms yet I still miss the big event which develops on the 17 days (10 days this year) that I am absent from Guildford. I feel I have suffered far more than my fair share of this bad luck now, especially as I have never experienced a severe outbreak in Cornwall.

I have written a report detailing the reduced incidence of thunder in the last 12 years based on data for 53 years and the evidence is very clear. This will be uploaded when the disappointment continues through this next week. This post will also be available on the 'No Storms' thread. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I'm a member of every no club. The No Snow Club, No Storms Club, No Interesting Weather Club. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...