Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rainfall stats since mid March - very dry theme

Posted

After months of very wet conditions, culminating in the exceptionally wet February, since mid March there has been below average rainfall preety much everywhere, only near average in some central south parts of England.

In the Lake District, river levels have been exceptionally low for a good 5-6 weeks now. I can't remember the last truly wet day, probably before mid- March. Most rain that has fallen has been fairly light stuff, with just the occasional moderate burst thanks to weak frontal activity. Any showers that have developed have been shortlived and not packed much of a punch. With very little rain forecast on the horizon for quite some time, I wonder whether we are looking at one of the driest mid March-mid May periods on record.

Not sure what has happened to the atlantic at present - there has been a complete absence of westerly airstreams since Mid March, anyone enlighten me on why it is so quiet? Not complaining, as it has been the tonic during these very trying past few weeks. It is beginning to feel like April - June 2018 here, which was also exceptionally dry, but the difference between then and now, is the heat hasn't yet built up, and importantly it came on the back of a much drier winter.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe cold, heavy snow, massive thunderstorms and bright sunshine.
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

After months of very wet conditions, culminating in the exceptionally wet February, since mid March there has been below average rainfall preety much everywhere, only near average in some central south parts of England.

In the Lake District, river levels have been exceptionally low for a good 5-6 weeks now. I can't remember the last truly wet day, probably before mid- March. Most rain that has fallen has been fairly light stuff, with just the occasional moderate burst thanks to weak frontal activity. Any showers that have developed have been shortlived and not packed much of a punch. With very little rain forecast on the horizon for quite some time, I wonder whether we are looking at one of the driest mid March-mid May periods on record.

Not sure what has happened to the atlantic at present - there has been a complete absence of westerly airstreams since Mid March, anyone enlighten me on why it is so quiet? Not complaining, as it has been the tonic during these very trying past few weeks. It is beginning to feel like April - June 2018 here, which was also exceptionally dry, but the difference between then and now, is the heat hasn't yet built up, and importantly it came on the back of a much drier winter.

Climate change might be a reason for a quiet Atlantic. I'm starting to wonder whether we will get another hot Summer 2 years after the last one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

We had 6 months of well above average rainfall preceeding this dry spell, and March and April were not that dry at my location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The first two thirds of March were pretty wet. I’ve said before how down here, had march continued like the first two thirds in the final third, it would’ve been wetter than the six preceding months.

I was quite impressed how quiet the Atlantic was all of a sudden given the ongoing strength of the PV. The south has at least seen the all too common southerly low that often appears at this time of year bringing more unsettled conditions down here while the north stays drier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Much drier from the final week of March... April was very dry, think the only rain barring the last few days which racked the totals up were the Friday and Saturday (17th/18th?) mid month.. no noticeable rain this month so far, and looks to stay dry until at least the mid way point of this month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Feel a bit for the farmers, but that’s about it! It was so wet before, this dry spell has been lovely. The Atlantic conveyor just stopped dead in its tracks and hasn’t been seen since.

We had 12mm in March (all before the 19th), 18mm in April and 3mm so far in May. Bone dry like most other places. Strange how it just flicked when lockdown started!

Posted

March was quite wet during the first half up my area but since the middle of the month it’s been exceptionally dry aside from a very localised downpour on the 1st May. Think I’ve only had 8/9 days of rainfall in the past 6 weeks.