Sign in to follow this  
mushymanrob

Evidence of Snowflakery killing comedy?

It would be unfair to brand all milennials or all of any one group as "snowflakes" , but in this case id suggest its apt because it separates out those who fit the general description. The point is, these moaners have to be referred to as something, so whether they are "snowflakes" or not is immaterial.

The BBC has recieved 181 complaints about the comic relief/big night in fund raiser the other week.

Top of the list of offenders were Matt Lucas and Davia Walliams for their revival of "Little Britain" after a 17 year absence. Apparently their sketches were "racist", "abalbist" and "xenophobic" . What a difference 17 years has made to this once highly popular sketch show, that took the mikey out of British Stereotypes - hence the title.
Has it really come to this? snowflakes getting all offended, offended enough to actually complain? What can we laugh at if not ourselves? Thats exactly what great British sitcoms have done since the 50's. All of them. Graham Linnehan says he couldnt produce Father Ted now, nor Fawlty Towers, The Young Ones, and even Only Fools and Horses! Would Dads Army be too white and ageist? Are you being served, Hi de Hi , being too white and homophobis? Allo Allo just pure Racist and Xenophobic? It aint half hot mum was the first casualty of snowflakery political correctness, all because Michael Bates "blacked up" as an Asian. It wasnt Asians who complained, in fact many thought he was hilarious as he was born in India and got the mannerisms off to a "t". It was the liberal polictically correct thought police... despite the fact that in It aint half hot mum, it was the white middle class officers and sargeant (Windsor Davis) who invariably came off worse.

We live in a Multicultural society, and "inclusiveness" is rightly being promoted..... but surely that applies to comedy too? All the best sit coms didnt overly vicimise any of the minorities, they took the mikey out of us, the white british middle clases.

But now we are heading towards a laugh free future, where fears of being labelled an "ist" has prevented and is preventing us laughing at ourselves. Just where are the modern great sitcoms now?... Gavin and Stacey? Benidorm? Friday night dinner (that will soon be labelled "anit semitic") all written by older people, not Milennials, who are seemingly unable to create great new cutting edge comedy any more.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I couldn’t agree more with you.  I was only thinking of this the other day.  I posted a clip of Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett doing their hilarious clip of “Four Candles” which due to the accent should have been fork handles - you know the clip.  It really is classic British comedy.  At the time I was worried it would offend someone.  Another classic they couldn’t make today is Rising Damp.  We are becoming a tragic society!! Pathetic really.

Edited by Snowycat
  • Like 2

181 complaints? Is that all! Much ado about nothing...Try watching Paradise PD?:wallbash:

Yay!!! Another old people are great and young people are vacuous idiots thread. 🙄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jtay said:

Yay!!! Another old people are great and young people are vacuous idiots thread. 🙄

Yay!! You know what they say?  If the cap fits wear it! 😉😉

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, General Cluster said:

181 complaints? Is that all! Much ado about nothing...Try watching Paradise PD?:wallbash:

Wouldn’t know how many complaints GC, don’t allow the BBC to grace my TV set with the rubbish it puts on these days and the way it only seems to push it’s own preferred political agenda.  I stick to the documentary, SYFY, commedy or crafting channels.  I’m trying to work out how I can get out if paying the TV licence, begrudge them every penny.  I believe you don’t have to pay for the licence if you fulfil certain criteria.   

What on earth is Paradise PD btw?

I do, however, entirely agree with mushymanrob though, comedy isn’t what it used to be and everything has to be ”politically correct” for fear of causing offence.  

Edited by Snowycat

16 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Yay!! You know what they say?  If the cap fits wear it! 😉😉

I'm 42.

14 minutes ago, jtay said:

I'm 42.

Maybe not old enough then to remember some of the old classics such as Love Thy Neighbour, Some mothers do ‘ave ‘em, Till Death Us Do Part, Allo Allo, Dads Army, Rising Damp, Porridge, Only Fools, The Liver Birds, Steptoe and Son, Last of the Summer Wine etc.  Some of the humour probably dated now but if you do ever watch at any point, ask yourself critically after whether sections of today’s society (not aimed at you personally at all btw) would take offence when actually none was ever intended;  it was just comedy to try and make you laugh.  I’m sure that is all mushymanrob meant.  Allo Allo is a perfect example - pokes fun at literally everyone

Only 181 complaints as GC pointed out isn’t many but in today’s world it is more than likely unfortuntely those 181 will be taken seriously and upheld by the BBC instead of just being ignored.    

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Snowycat said:

Wouldn’t know how many complaints GC, don’t allow the BBC to grace my TV set with the rubbish it puts on these days and the way it only seems to push it’s own preferred political agenda.  I stick to the documentary, SYFY, commedy or crafting channels.  I’m trying to work out how I can get out if paying the TV licence, begrudge them every penny.  I believe you don’t have to pay for the licence if you fulfil certain criteria.   

What on earth is Paradise PD btw?

I do, however, entirely agree with mushymanrob though, comedy isn’t what it used to be and everything has to be ”politically correct” for fear of causing offence.  

I guess, that as you and I are of similar vintage, you have conveniently forgotten the so-called Viewers and Listeners Association and their daily rantings of 'utter filth!' that irritated folk throughout the 1960s and '70s? Crikey, even ToTP's 'mini cameraman' was castigated, for 'gross indecency'!:oldgrin:

FWIW, I no-longer need to pay for a TV license; no-one does, so long as they don't watch live TV or live stream anything...I prefer Netflix, as I can watch things as and when I want to...

Paradise PD is an utterly irreverent animated series that's currently on Netflix...PC, it most certainly ain't!:oldlaugh:

Edited by General Cluster

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

I guess, that as you and I are of similar vintage, you have conveniently forgotten the so-called Viewers and Listeners Association and their daily rantings of 'utter filth!' that irritated folk throughout the 1960s and '70s? Crikey, even ToTP's 'mini cameraman' was castigated, for 'gross indecency'?:oldgrin:

FWIW, I no-longer need to pay for a TV license; no-one does, so long as they don't watch live TV or live stream anything...I prefer Netflix, as I can watch things as and when I want to...

Paradise PD is an utterly irreverent animated series that's currently on Netflix...PC, it most certainly ain't!:oldlaugh:

I’m 102 next birthday.   Well, funnily enough I was watching Sounds of the Sixties on Yesterday recently and at the very end Barbara Whitehouse popped up ranting and raving about something filthy on TV - so glad she’s not around to watch GoT, Sex in the City or such stuff she would be frothing at the mouth 🤣🤣🤣  Not sure anyone took any notice of her rantings though, today she would have more traction I feel.

I watch SKY so they may term that as live TV, not sure.  Don’t watch the news or sport though just the new drama’s such as Westworld etc.

Edited by Snowycat
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

I’m 102 next birthday.   Well, funnily enough I was watching Sounds of the Sixties on Yesterday recently and at the very end Barbara Whitehouse popped up ranting and raving about something filthy on TV - so glad she’s not around to watch GoT, Sex in the City or such stuff she would be frothing at the mouth 🤣🤣🤣  Not sure anyone took any notice of her rantings though, today she would have more traction I feel.

I watch SKY so they may term that as live TV, not sure.  Don’t watch the news or sport though just the new drama’s such as Westworld etc.

You haven't conflated Barbara Windsor and Mary Whitehouse, have you SC? A Freudian slip?:oldlaugh:

I'm afraid Sky TV does count as live TV...but Netflix, Amazon Prime et al do not...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

You haven't conflated Barbara Windsor and Mary Whitehouse, have you SC? A Freudian slip?:oldlaugh:

Looks like I did 😹😹😹🙈🙈🙈

• Like 1

7 hours ago, General Cluster said:

181 complaints is a lot when you consider that originally it got NONE.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Looks like I did 😹😹😹🙈🙈🙈

And, with that confession, I'll now go and watch Jupiter Ascending again...I think that, whatever our differences on snowflakery, we share a love of science fiction?:oldgood:

Could it be down to the fact that we both grew-up during the Russian-American Space Race...Telstar, Sputnik, Yuri Gagarin, Neil Shepherd...The Invaders, Object Z, Dr Who, Space 1999?:oldgrin:

Edited by General Cluster

6 hours ago, jtay said:

Didnt say that. The point is that young people are not writing great sitcoms anymore, and id suggest thats due to being taught to be politically correct whilst at school. I worked in schools, i saw first hand the ridiculous leftist ideas...like non competitive sports because they didnt want to hurt the "non winners" feelings...

Just where are the great modern sitcoms that were written by "the young"?  All our great sitcoms were written by people who started writing comedy when they were under 30. Most by  30 had made a name for themselves.

so instead of sneering, either present the evidence that proves this wrong, or accept this. 🙂

6 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

And, with that confession, I'll now go and watch Jupiter Rising again...I think that, whatever our differences on snowflakery, we share a love of science fiction?:oldgood:

Could it be down to the fact that we both grew-up during the Russian-American Space Race...Telstar, Sputnik, Yuri Gagarin, Neil Shepherd...The Invaders, Object Z, Dr Who, Space 1999?:oldgrin:

you are the same age as me...... do you not lament the paucity of great new sitcoms? we grew up with so many that made us howl with laughter, doesnt it bother you that there are none around today (written by the young)? Doesnt it bother you that many of the greats we thoughroughly enjoyed can not be made today because of fear of causing "offence"?

• Thanks 1

What did one millennial say to the other millennial.....🤐

5 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

you are the same age as me...... do you not lament the paucity of great new sitcoms? we grew up with so many that made us howl with laughter, doesnt it bother you that there are none around today (written by the young)? Doesnt it bother you that many of the greats we thoughroughly enjoyed can not be made today because of fear of causing "offence"?

Not really, no: whenever I want to watch an 'offensive' comedy, I'll either buy the boxed set or watch it on Netflix...Comedy, like everything-else changes with time...?

BTW, the Boxed set of all the Carry On movies is #1 on my list!:oldgood:

image.thumb.png.101f2ba5a3e49bd766b8a15b00f7ee17.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mushymanrob said:

Didnt say that. The point is that young people are not writing great sitcoms anymore, and id suggest thats due to being taught to be politically correct whilst at school. I worked in schools, i saw first hand the ridiculous leftist ideas...like non competitive sports because they didnt want to hurt the "non winners" feelings...

Just where are the great modern sitcoms that were written by "the young"?  All our great sitcoms were written by people who started writing comedy when they were under 30. Most by  30 had made a name for themselves.

so instead of sneering, either present the evidence that proves this wrong, or accept this. 🙂

I'm not sneering. I just don't see the point of all this us and them.

I guess if youngsters don't watch telly (I don't much and I'm old), they've got no reason to make shows.

I did watch This Country, which was excellent and offensive on many levels.

Young people tend to like watching people fall into ditches on you tube these days, instead of scripted comedy.😇

1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

Young people tend to like watching people fall into ditches on you tube these days, instead of scripted comedy.😇

According to the law, I'm still a kid and if anything, I like watching scripted comedy more instead of people falling into ditches 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

From memory that was the basic premise for Last of the Summer Wine. Perhaps the medium has just changed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zak M said:

According to the law, I'm still a kid and if anything, I like watching scripted comedy more instead of people falling into ditches 🙂

You're missing out Zak lol

1 hour ago, jtay said:

From memory that was the basic premise for Last of the Summer Wine. Perhaps the medium has just changed.

Yes it should have been called last of the summer ditches

• Like 1

1 hour ago, General Cluster said:

And, with that confession, I'll now go and watch Jupiter Ascending again...I think that, whatever our differences on snowflakery, we share a love of science fiction?:oldgood:

Yup, I was scared witless of the daleks as a child - mum says I used to hide behind the settee I was so scared.  Have you been watching Project Blue Book?  Its on SYFY, don’t know if you can get it.  It’s been quite good and is based on the true investigations of Professor Hynek into UFO sightings and alleged alien abductions in the US late 40’s/50’s.  Although dated one of my favourites is still Commander Straker and UFO and I absolutely loved the characters in Farscape 🤗

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jtay said:

And yet it ran for something like 27 years leaving some memorable characters.  My father was lovingly called compo for years because he dressed the same while DIY’ing at mums and mine and I’ve lost time how many times Nora Batty’s legs are quoted when wrinkly tights and socks are witnessed.