Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

When will we reach 30c?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Would be good to have a list of when 30 degrees was first recorded, lets say over the last 30 years a good benchmark. I think there have been a handful of years when it has never been attained, 2012 possibly the last time, 1988 possibly, 1993 and 2007 maybe as well.

I'm taking a guess, but I suspect somewhere in the UK in most years will have hit 30 degrees by the last week of June.

2007 managed it at the August bank holiday weekend. 2012 had quite a hot July hot spell.

Posted
22 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

2007 managed it at the August bank holiday weekend. 2012 had quite a hot July hot spell.

Had to wait a long time then in 2007. I wonder if there has been a year when had to wait until September?

Posted
7 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Had to wait a long time then in 2007. I wonder if there has been a year when had to wait until September?

2012 was vile. Yes, it was the latter end of July, when summer finally returned.

Posted

What was the maximum in July 2012,  a very blink and miss hot spell I think. Here we didn't record anything higher than 24 degrees all summer. Hottest temps came end May. We've just managed three days on trot at 24 degrees. 2012 easily worst summer since late 80s in the Lake District. Remember watching the torch relay here at end June, blowing a hoodie and heavy excessive rain, got an absolute soaking watching some band, terrible!

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

London recorded 30.2c in late July 2012 and 30.5c in mid August 2012.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 31/05/2020 at 23:53, Sunny76 said:

I was going to say 1987. Think it was 29, but possibly London hit 30c in mid August.

yep Northolt reached 30.1c on 20th August 1987..August 1988 reached 30.2c in Cheltenham on the 7th

Nowhere in the UK breached 30c in 1993..the highest temp that year was 29.7c in Suffolk on July 4th

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

The next hot spell, after the next 2 weeks of cooler and cloudier conditions have passed.

Date wise, I'll go 24th June

Posted
52 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

yep Northolt reached 30.1c on 20th August 1987..August 1988 reached 30.2c in Cheltenham on the 7th

Nowhere in the UK breached 30c in 1993..the highest temp that year was 29.7c in Suffolk on July 4th

That week in 1987 was hot. I remember it well. The Hungerford shootings took place during that week, and the thunderstorms moved in on Friday evening and into the night, also distant thunderstorms on the Saturday. Probably the hottest week in 1987.

Posted
56 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

While i remember 2011 getting 34C off the bat, did it manage it in July and August again.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I have a feeling it will be July now, and I don’t think 32c will be reached this summer. 

GLAAM forecast would suggest that 20th June-10th July is probably the most likely timing. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I was wrong so I'll guess again: 25th June, 35.1°C, Kinlochewe.

Posted
11 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

While i remember 2011 getting 34C off the bat, did it manage it in July and August again.

June 2011 was poor, and the rest of the summer was pretty bad, I remember June being cool and dull, but hot at the start, and the last weekend of June was hot with 34c being the hottest day of the year, also it was the hottest day since 2006. July was very wet and cool. 

I don’t remember any more hot days, but maybe it reaches mid to high 20s again, as the september was hot towards the end, and early October was 30c. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
33 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

July and August were dreaful in 2011. July's highest temp here was just 25.9c, though August did see 30.1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

That week in 1987 was hot. I remember it well. The Hungerford shootings took place during that week, and the thunderstorms moved in on Friday evening and into the night, also distant thunderstorms on the Saturday. Probably the hottest week in 1987.

its funny how memory plays tricks on you ..its generally held view on here and from my memory that 85-88 were 4 really shabby summers on the bounce..all of them breached 30c and 1986 which i remember as being particularly cold and wet wasn't so much..June was drier and warmer than average with the temp reaching 32c on 28th..and July was much the same with the temp reaching 33c on 15th..August was the only cool and wet summer month that year

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

its funny how memory plays tricks on you ..its generally held view on here and from my memory that 85-88 were 4 really shabby summers on the bounce..all of them breached 30c and 1986 which i remember as being particularly cold and wet wasn't so much..June was drier and warmer than average with the temp reaching 32c on 28th..and July was much the same with the temp reaching 33c on 15th..August was the only cool and wet summer month that year

I remember June 1986 as being hot at times, and very sunny. It was during the World Cup in Mexico. We had a day trip with the school to France, and I remember watching the white cliffs getting closer with the blue skies behind in, as we returned to the UK in the early evening.

I was back home when Raiders of the Lost Ark was on tv. 

Weird how I remember that lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

It’s looking more likely the wait will continue until July, unless there’s a massive shift in the next two weeks. 

Surely we will reach it before August.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
On 31/05/2020 at 22:12, hillbilly said:

Years not reaching 30 deg are

1993,1981,1980,1978,1974,1972,1966,1965,1963,1962,1958,1931,1927,1920,1913,1910,1892,1890,1883,1882,

1879 and 1877

Is it me but take away the modern period and the 60s they seem to come in pairs close together.

Biggest gap is currently 27 years between 1931 and 1958. Current gap is also 27 years, and we're due a cool Summer. Let's see what happens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
17 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Any stats when 30 degrees first recorded say last 30 years.

All I know:

2019 28th June

2018 25th June

2017 17th June

2016 18th July

2015 30th June

2014 18th July

2013 13th July

2012 25th May

2011 27th June

2010 27th June

2009 30th June

2008 28th July

2007 5th August

2006 11th June

2005 27th May

2004 8th June

2003 22nd June

Edited by BruenSryan
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
3 hours ago, Relativistic said:

Biggest gap is currently 27 years between 1931 and 1958. Current gap is also 27 years, and we're due a cool Summer. Let's see what happens.

Trouble is a cool summer now in our rapidly warming climate probably wouldn’t even be that cool!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
21 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Any stats when 30 degrees first recorded say last 30 years.

a bit before your stated 30 years but worth noting,am not 100% sure but I think 1954 first hit 30 degrees on September 1st and 1973 on September 5th!

• Thanks 1