Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

When will we reach 30c?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Perhaps a small chance tomorrow in London, doubt it though but it could get close.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
3 hours ago, thunderpants said:

Perhaps a small chance tomorrow in London, doubt it though but it could get close.

Doesn’t look likely. More like 26-27c at a push.

• Like 1

Posted

Relying on the nuances of the pattern to get there in the next 10 days. It's possible, but it requires keeping E or NE influences at bay. At the moment, looking like falling just short but not out of the question.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

I think somewhere across NW England may touch 30C in the next few days in usual hotspots for the NW such as around Wythenshaw or Bolton  . The bbc weather app for Blackpool is showing 23C so you can always expect local places further inland to be warmer than Blackpool....     

Posted

Hopefully we won't. Low to mid-20s is perfectly adequate and enjoyable summer weather.

Anything north of 28C is just oppressive and not conducive to being able to do anything apart from mope about because it's too hot.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

if we don't hit 30 degrees this week or next week i don't think we will reach it till july but you never know. Tops this week probs 28 somewhere in the west, most of the heat will be there strangly enough. don't know next week but will probs stay dry. However cooler with northerly flow possible. my guess is July 13th for now

Posted
On 02/05/2020 at 20:46, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Going for one of best summers ever, lockdown summer so 30 degrees many times to be reached, early June first time

haha ok lol

Posted
6 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

I think somewhere across NW England may touch 30C in the next few days in usual hotspots for the NW such as around Wythenshaw or Bolton  . The bbc weather app for Blackpool is showing 23C so you can always expect local places further inland to be warmer than Blackpool....     

Very much doubt 30 degrees will be recorded in the NW over the coming days. Need more of a southerly draw to the airflow, the air source is coming off N France, Benelux countries, but more importantly points then further east, its origins will be east scandi/NW Russia. Need heights to sink more into N Germany to pull in a warmer set of uppers on a SE flow, and this isn't going to happen.

Perhaps somewhere could hit 28 degrees tops, generally 24-26 degrees for many, still very very good for late May, temps we should normally expect in high summer, but then these synoptics in late July to early August would easily bring widespread temps above 30 degrees.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted

26.3 the highest today at heathrow. warmer tomorrow.

Posted
21 hours ago, Jacky said:

26.3 the highest today at heathrow. warmer tomorrow.

That sensor needs to be relocated away from the tarmac.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
48 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

That sensor needs to be relocated away from the tarmac.

Kew is just as warm as Heathrow, on average. Heathrow is very representative of suburban London (as are Kew and Hampton) Infact most major cities have their weather stations at airports as they are free from the UHI of the city centre, and Heathrow is no different.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, DAVID SNOW said:

That would be the wheelbarrow effect.

Nothing at all to do with the London area having the warmest temperatures in the country from April-October then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

All that hot air coming out of Downing street at the moment must play it's part!!

• Like 3

Posted

West Wales and northern parts also can be quite warm if winds ranging from the south to east direction with foehn coming into effect. E.g rhyl, trawscoed portmadog, or cumbria sometimes as well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
10 hours ago, Jacky said:

West Wales and northern parts also can be quite warm if winds ranging from the south to east direction with foehn coming into effect. E.g rhyl, trawscoed portmadog, or cumbria sometimes as well

They often do well from easterlies, such as the last few days. The very hottest weather always comes up more from the south though, so all of the highest UK recorded temperatures are pretty much concentrated in the S/E/SE corner.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
14 hours ago, mb018538 said:

They often do well from easterlies, such as the last few days. The very hottest weather always comes up more from the south though, so all of the highest UK recorded temperatures are pretty much concentrated in the S/E/SE corner.

Although its much more normal to see high temperatures in the SE, a lot of the UK's warmest are actually in the Cheltenham area.

Posted
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Although its much more normal to see high temperatures in the SE, a lot of the UK's warmest are actually in the Cheltenham area.

Looking at the sites on the Met Office climate page, the warmest summers in the UK seem to be in London and outlying areas (Wisley, Gillingham etc), Cambridgeshire, inland Suffolk, Hampshire.

Posted
7 minutes ago, B87 said:

Looking at the sites on the Met Office climate page, the warmest summers in the UK seem to be in London and outlying areas (Wisley, Gillingham etc), Cambridgeshire, inland Suffolk, Hampshire.

Ah, I thought high Maxima rather than average temperature.

Posted
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

Ah, I thought high Maxima rather than average temperature.

I was looking at average highs rather than mean.

Posted
24 minutes ago, B87 said:

I was looking at average highs rather than mean.

Yes. I thought you meant like heatwaves. Cheltenham has got the hottest temperature in quite a few summers, most notably the prior record of 1990. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Yes. I thought you meant like heatwaves. Cheltenham has got the hottest temperature in quite a few summers, most notably the prior record of 1990. 

Warmest place in heatwaves seems to cycle between St James's Park, Heathrow, Gravesend, Northolt, Kew, Wisley, Farnborough, Teddington, Hampton, Cambridge.

St James's Park, Kew and Teddington don't have averages available on the MO site though.

What really surprised me is looking at the averages for August 1995. Heathrow averaged 27.0c that month, but Southampton managed 27.1c, even though it is usually 1-1.5c cooler than London on average.

Edited by B87

Posted

Would be good to have a list of when 30 degrees was first recorded, lets say over the last 30 years a good benchmark. I think there have been a handful of years when it has never been attained, 2012 possibly the last time, 1988 possibly, 1993 and 2007 maybe as well.

I'm taking a guess, but I suspect somewhere in the UK in most years will have hit 30 degrees by the last week of June.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Would be good to have a list of when 30 degrees was first recorded, lets say over the last 30 years a good benchmark. I think there have been a handful of years when it has never been attained, 2012 possibly the last time, 1988 possibly, 1993 and 2007 maybe as well.

I'm taking a guess, but I suspect somewhere in the UK in most years will have hit 30 degrees by the last week of June.

Years not reaching 30 deg are

1993,1981,1980,1978,1974,1972,1966,1965,1963,1962,1958,1931,1927,1920,1913,1910,1892,1890,1883,1882,

1879 and 1877

Is it me but take away the modern period and the 60s they seem to come in pairs close together.