One of the last Luddites requires some help

I have just bought an Apple IPad Pro to while away a few hours. The initial set up went okay but subsequent to that on the restart it requires me to enter a passcode which is the first time this has been mentioned. I have a passcode for my iPhone but that doesn't work. As I obviously cannot get into settings of the former, only the phone, I am stumped as to how to proceed as I don't want to go stumbling around in the phone and mess things up in the current situation. Any advice would be appreciated.

Try this as it may be set to default. If it asks for 4-digit passcode, you can try “1234” or “0000”. If it asks for 6-digit passcode, try “123456” or “000000”.

It doesn't specify anything just asks for a passcode. And I understand if you ask too many times it throws a tantrum. Not that can lose anything

It's either 4 or six digits and the codes mentioned above are the default ones for unlocking the pad if you have not set one yourself, the link might explain more here

WWW.IMYFONE.COM

Was your iPad asking for passcode after iOS 12/13 update 2020? No worries, this post will guide you how to get into your iPad or remove the lock easily.

3 minutes ago, knocker said:

I tried the default ones but it got fed up with that and came up with 'IPad disabled try again in five minutes'

Try doing the forced reboot as explained in no:3 in the link above?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Dreckly said:

Try doing the forced reboot as explained in no:3 in the link above?

I don't appear to have a power button at the base the screen

Edited by knocker
6 minutes ago, knocker said:

I don't appear to have a power button at the base the screen

I don't own one myself so my hands on knowledge is limited. Hope someone who knows a bit more can help?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Dreckly said:

I don't own one myself so my hands on knowledge is limited. Hope someone who knows a bit more can help?

Thanks for giving it a go and you know more than me. But  I am puzzled how one is expected to know the code unless I missed something in the set up.

Edited by knocker
3 minutes ago, knocker said:

Thanks for giving it a go and you know more than me. But  I am puzzled how one is expected to know the code unless I missed something in the set up.

I think it is a known issue with the latest update, yours probably updated automatically on the initial start up.

I don't know enough about Apple products to give you exact answer, but I would hazard two guesses..

First one; Without sounding condescending to you knocker, are you sure it's not asking you to set up a password?

If no to that, it could be that it's not a new iPad and that somebody has owned it before you. A similar thing can happen on Android devices.

5 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I don't know enough about Apple products to give you exact answer, but I would hazard two guesses..

First one; Without sounding condescending to you knocker, are you sure it's not asking you to set up a password?

If no to that, it could be that it's not a new iPad and that somebody has owned it before you. A similar thing can happen on Android devices.

Yes quite sure Mapantz and it's definitely new with all the latest bells and whistles. When you can get in that is. From what I have gathered already problems with the passcode are not new. The easiest way might be to reboot from scratch as I have no data to backup or lose

6 hours ago, knocker said:

Yes quite sure Mapantz and it's definitely new with all the latest bells and whistles. When you can get in that is. From what I have gathered already problems with the passcode are not new. The easiest way might be to reboot from scratch as I have no data to backup or lose

Do you have an apple account with you iPhone if so you could try that password

49 minutes ago, jonboy said:

Do you have an apple account with you iPhone if so you could try that password

I do and I need the passcode (not password) to unlock the phone but I've tried that with the IPad and it doesn't work. I am wondering (as you have gathered I'm not technically savvy) whether if I go into settings > passcode in my phone it comes up with screen showing four blank circles and asking for  the passcode to be entered, if I did this whether it would then ask whether I wish to share this on all devices. But I'm wary about fiddling with the phone given the current situation. At the end of the day a total reboot is not the end of the world as I've no data to lose. But it still begs the question why I was not asked to set up a passcode in the first.place

On 20/04/2020 at 12:49, knocker said:

I do and I need the passcode (not password) to unlock the phone but I've tried that with the IPad and it doesn't work. I am wondering (as you have gathered I'm not technically savvy) whether if I go into settings > passcode in my phone it comes up with screen showing four blank circles and asking for  the passcode to be entered, if I did this whether it would then ask whether I wish to share this on all devices. But I'm wary about fiddling with the phone given the current situation. At the end of the day a total reboot is not the end of the world as I've no data to lose. But it still begs the question why I was not asked to set up a passcode in the first.place

I am a luddite to when it comes to tech but came across this

How do I unlock my iPad passcode?

Setting a Simple Passcode Swipe right on your iPad's screen to unlock it. Open your "Settings" app. Scroll until you find the "Passcode" option, then tap it. Tap "Turn Passcode On". Enter a passcode of your choosing. Confirm your passcode by typing it in again. Press your lock button to lock your iPad.

10 minutes ago, jonboy said:

I am a luddite to when it comes to tech but came across this

How do I unlock my iPad passcode?

Setting a Simple Passcode Swipe right on your iPad's screen to unlock it. Open your "Settings" app. Scroll until you find the "Passcode" option, then tap it. Tap "Turn Passcode On". Enter a passcode of your choosing. Confirm your passcode by typing it in again. Press your lock button to lock your iPad.

It just seems to bring up some informative windows but then I have to still enter the passcode to view. It doesn't actually unlock it. I have put it aside for the moment, as it was doing my head in, but I suspect the easiest way to proceed is a total reboot. Anyway I appreciate the fact that you gone to the trouble of answering and trying to help

Is it brand new? If so, you should get 90 days of free technical support. Just call Apple. 

For what it's worth, I've had a few Apple products over the years and my anecdotal experience is that they are getting more glitchy as time goes on. It's the insane annual major updates to the OS that's the root cause.

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Is it brand new? If so, you should get 90 days of free technical support. Just call Apple. 

For what it's worth, I've had a few Apple products over the years and my anecdotal experience is that they are getting more glitchy as time goes on. It's the insane annual major updates to the OS that's the root cause.

Yep it's their new 12" and as I haven't been able to get into it after going through the prelims  I've nowt to lose with a complete reboot. Hopefully less hassle that way but I'll give it a couple of days Of course that's assuming it asks me to enter a passcode

Edited by knocker

I still cannot get into my IPad so I finally bit the bullet and called Apple. After listening to most of Beethoven's 5th I finally talked to a helpful support rep. Cutting a long story short and after consultation, she said nobody at their end can understand why this should be unless someone has been playing with the model previously.
There are now two options.
One, do a factory reboot which I'm not sure I can given the age of m PC as there isn't an obvious place to connect the USB
Two, get on to Amazon and point out the problem

The obvious route to go down is two but that isn't easy at the moment so returning it is the answer but that isn't easy if you are in isolation.