Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Positive news and views

The news cycle can be hard to watch and comprehend at the moment, but positive things are happening in our communities, our homes and around the world at the moment. Share those stories and your positive experiences here. 

Well, I’ll start.  I appear to be looking like I have become the local Arkwright store - are any of you old enough to remember Ronnie Barker in Open All Hours?  

At almost 88 my mum is designated at risk so Sainsbury’s put her on their priority list for deliveries.  Funny thing is all my neighbours are around the 80 mark some with health problems and others not.   However, to help my neighbours out my mums Sainsbury’s list has now grown to include my shopping plus 3 of my neighbours because they can’t get online deliveries.   I have another odd neighbour in the sense he won’t use his bank card (only pays cash) so I’m having to source cat food and cat litter online for him.  My carport is therefore resembling Arkwright’s store as things are delivered and I take on the persona of Granville as I sort the various items into piles for other people to collect or in the case of mum I have to deliver.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Love this idea! A Letter from Lockdown published in the Telegraph:

Australians have come up with a novel way to make lockdown more fun. Before they take out their bins, they put on a wacky fancy dress costume. It’s quite a craze over there. People of all ages, putting out their rubbish while dressed as dinosaurs, gorillas, cartoon characters. Perhaps a little unsettlingly, in the circumstances, one woman in Western Australia has been dressing up as the Grim Reaper. Anyway, as you can see, I’ve started it doing myself.

301458966_CV10He-man.thumb.jpg.7eca8d803922f5d59b3224eb3e8caeaa.jpg

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/life/letter-lockdown-taking-bins-fancy-dress/

• Like 4

A group in my home town, Aberfeldy in the Central Highlands, started a free meal and grocery plus newspapers, cleaning equipment etc delivery four weeks ago for pensioners from a local pub. They started funding and involved other businesses. They now have +170 customers  and today they have supplied 158 morning meals and 168 evening free meals to pensioners and vulnerable households not only in the town but to local villages and up the nearby glens. A successful fund raising campaign has got them approaching £100k which is much needed as costs now for basic foodstuffs are £1000 a day. It just shows how a small voluntary group can make a huge difference to those in need. 

edit. Just noticed that they have attracted press interest and are going to be featured on STVnews next week.

• Like 3

What a great idea. While away the days in lockdown by digging out the Lego kit and creating something........ :oldsmile:

460762964_CV19Lego.thumb.jpg.d1a547f1d01a75d217f25baa7d7bd1fe.jpg

Or maybe pretending you are still going on holiday, even if it's been cancelled...... :oldlaugh:

98152392_CV19HolidayFlight.thumb.jpg.86c924e4ccd91c829bcd98579d995398.jpg

With thanks to 40 Of The Funniest Coronavirus Jokes To Lift Up Your Spirits During Self-Isolation
Link: https://www.boredpanda.com/coronavirus-funny-jokes/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Political preferences aside, an amusing cartoon and let's hope Boris and Baby Boris can lead us all to normality....

1914593965_CV19Bobcartoon.thumb.jpg.ad13febb29e4152e8efa9845e0158918.jpg

Cartoon courtesy of Bob, Daily Telegraph.

• Like 2

Lovely story. I want one! :oldsmile:

Forget wearing the usual scrubs made from blue or raspberry coloured fabric - health workers at one UK hospital are rocking some new threads.

A number of scrubs have been donated from sewing groups and individuals from the eastern English counties of Cambridgeshire, Essex and Hertfordshire to staff at the Royal Papworth Hospital in Cambridge. The outfits, ranging from Thomas the Tank Engine to exotic plant patterns, have been a "real hit with staff", a spokesman said.

"We're so grateful to everyone who has made them for our teams - they’ve made a huge difference and helped to keep us smiling."

527335581_CV19RockingPPE.thumb.jpg.61af22dfe0af0e82537b115202f2d554.jpg

Source: BBC News Live Updates: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52553430

• Like 3

Something I've found out is a big help is learning to play a musical instrument. I've always wanted to learn guitar properly after I had a knack for it in music lessons at school. I bought a reasonable quality acoustic guitar for £130 off Amazon, I'd usually spend more than that in a month from pub evenings and meals out! Some really good resources online.

It's great for keeping your mind occupied, busy and getting something positive out of the extra free time at home. I just spend 30 minutes or so each evening going through lessons and it just means I have something to look forward to each day.

• Like 6

On 06/05/2020 at 11:25, Blessed Weather said:

Lovely story. I want one! :oldsmile:

Forget wearing the usual scrubs made from blue or raspberry coloured fabric - health workers at one UK hospital are rocking some new threads.

A number of scrubs have been donated from sewing groups and individuals from the eastern English counties of Cambridgeshire, Essex and Hertfordshire to staff at the Royal Papworth Hospital in Cambridge. The outfits, ranging from Thomas the Tank Engine to exotic plant patterns, have been a "real hit with staff", a spokesman said.

"We're so grateful to everyone who has made them for our teams - they’ve made a huge difference and helped to keep us smiling."

527335581_CV19RockingPPE.thumb.jpg.61af22dfe0af0e82537b115202f2d554.jpg

Source: BBC News Live Updates: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52553430

That would make a brilliant work uniform for me.  😁😁

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Heatwave conditions possible to end May

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions during the final days of May. With temperatures widely into the 20s Celsius. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dry, sunny and warm end to May but is there a pattern change on the horizon?

The already very dry May will end with more dry, sunny and warm weather across all of the UK. This theme continues into the first few days of June, but there could be a change on the way later next week. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather