Mental Health

Chat about mental health in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic and lockdown here. 

On 19/03/2020 at 18:07, Lauren said:
_111255467_overwhelm.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Advice on protecting your mental health during the coronavirus outbreak.

Here's some genuinely really good advice for looking after your mental health during this time.

It's important to remember the human brain automatically seeks out danger which can impact on how we view the world. We're much more likely to read about bad news than good news. With that in mind, if you read a bad news story, make a conscious effort to then read a good one. Read about the deaths? Now go read about those who have recovered. Balancing helps us to gain perspective.

Practice positive activities before bedtime which is when we are most likely to worry. Read a book, listen to music, watch Youtube so you redirect your brain leading to less anxiety and better sleep.

Practice self care. Eat well, sleep, keep hydrated, get exercise, get out in nature and do things you enjoy. This not only improves mental health but also improves your immune system so you're less likely to get sick.

These are two brilliant self help resources that are clinically effective and NHS recommended. It's guided Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and almost identical to what you would do if you saw a real life therapist.

WWW.CCI.HEALTH.WA.GOV.AU

Self-help resources for overcoming problems with anxiety developed by clinical psychologists at the Centre for Clinical Interventions in Perth...
WWW.CCI.HEALTH.WA.GOV.AU

Self-help resources for addressing health anxiety, written by clinical psychologists at the Centre for Clinical Interventions in Perth...

And if anyone is struggling with their mental health and needs more personalised advice, my PMs are open and will be treated with strict confidentiality. I am a mental health professional.

• Like 1

I’m lucky enough to have a large garden which takes up alot of time to keep in order and I do feel for people who live in flats or apartments

I foster cats for a local cat rescue and my concern is with lockdown we aren’t able to move cats out into furever homes and bring in needy ones.  At this time of year there is usually a succession of pregnant females and we can’t bring them in as we don’t have foster places opening up, my fear is there will be an explosion of kittens at the end of summer.  I have two cats ready to go and people interested in them but home visits cannot be done yet.  Nala and Claus have been very entertaining while waiting patiently.  

I also added a new kitten to my family.  I kept Prudence (Prudie) out of a batch of tuxedo’s I struggled to part with at the end of last year.   I’m not letting her out until lockdown is over as she’s as mad as a box of frogs and I’m worried she’ll get into trouble.  She’s plenty of boxes to keep her amused for the time being plus a tortoise she can’t make head or tail of.

My cats keep me sane.....or wind me up in equal measures depending on their antics ????

0407540C-E731-4599-B62E-2968092D0448.jpeg

4964EA77-D588-4738-B22F-72AF5050710C.jpeg

Edited by Snowycat
  • Like 4

We (my wife) until recently also regularly fostered kittens from a local cat rescue. Unfortunately our most recent resident cat does not take kindly to say the least to visitors unless they are of the human variety. Our last batch below and their nemesis. 

E179A0C3-CC0A-401A-912B-71AB5B01D4D6.jpeg

BF417318-EBD7-431F-80A3-9B98744E2517.jpeg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Norrance said:

We (my wife) until recently also regularly fostered kittens from a local cat rescue. Unfortunately our most recent resident cat does not take kindly to say the least to visitors unless they are of the human variety. Our last batch below and their nemesis. 

E179A0C3-CC0A-401A-912B-71AB5B01D4D6.jpeg

BF417318-EBD7-431F-80A3-9B98744E2517.jpeg

? cats are spiteful aren’t they at times.  Mine are in a cat pen.  I converted a summerhouse, which has a heater for winter.  It’s perfect for expectant mums.  My latest Nala and Claus - they may hopefully have a home, if only they could get out to do home visits.

7ABCEEF8-C662-445F-A966-7E5BAA1E27CA.jpeg

1250AD62-3920-49EC-8016-9D089F7741EE.jpeg

• Like 2